Elon Musk goes to court . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Exactly, i can't find anything that mentions the damages the diver incurred as a result of this defamation.

I do wonder whether a libel case will rest on this point entirely. I.e. there have been plenty of high profile libel cases where Person A sues Person B because of proven loss of revenue due to the defamation, or loss of opportunity etc etc.

Frankly this is nothing more than playground name calling from two grown adults who should know better.

And that's why in my opinion the diver is a **** and is clearly just after the money.

Then good for him.

Associate
All Musk is doing is financing it. It’s the engineers and scientists who deserve statues. I very much admire SpaceX’s achievements, but that doesn’t prevent me thinking that Musk is a monumental bell end whose main talent is generating hype.

He is the lead engineer on it. You have no idea what you're on about.

Is this someone who just finances SpaceX?

Last edited:
Associate
Whether he is, or was a regular partaker of cannabis or not is irrelevant to my argument. What I am saying is that as a well liked (by impressionable young people) celebrity appearing on TV smoking cannabis is irresponsible, given its well known side effects, and in so far as those that cannot afford it or the more expensive stronger drugs they may move on to, are forced to go on to steal to pay for them.

I am though absolutely in agreement that both alcohol and nicotine (both of which I enjoy), are well known health hazards, but illegal use of cannabis has far worse side effects for the economy than tobacco or alcohol. Health wise, policing and taxation wise.
Haha i dont take any drugs or alcohol so dont have a bias but that is 100% bs and you know it.

Soldato
I find it kind of sad that people are so desperate to cast Musk as either a tech-hero or a *******. In real life people are more complicated than that, and have both virtues and flaws. Musk made his money from a series of .com style businesses, most noteable PayPal, but unlike others that did so, he's taken his money and tried to make amazing things with it. I think that's admirable. He's pushed electric car development forward five years or more, and the same in solar and storage battery technology, and then aimed for the stars with SpaceX. His companies do not have the reputation for exploitation, tax avoidance, and just plain evil of many of his peers. Again, I'm all for that.

But it's hard to argue that calling a rescue diver a pedo is anything other than a ******* move, and it's hardly that out of character. He seems thin skinned, with a tendency to childishly lash out when he's upset, and generally comes off as someone who has never really learned the responsibility that goes with his new role on the world stage.

I think he's both a tech-hero and a bell end; and I think people who try to cast him as one or the other are failing to really understand him.

Get out of here with your crazy sensible talk. Take a side and argue damn it!

Man of Honour
Musk is involved in day to day running of all his companies, he works with the engineers, he considers himself an engineer, he helped design the Gigafactory and works on improving the efficiency of the factory. He said on the JRE podcast most of the things he does day to day is engineering based. He's highly drive, highly intelligent, highly successful; you've never met him and you consider him a bell end, oh I wonder why

Because he's an unpleasant person who harms others and is lauded with credit based on work other people do. In colloquial terms, he's a bell end. Even if he is a competent engineer, he's a bell end. Also, there are many competent engineers. Most of whom are not bell ends.

Musk's primary expertise is publicity, not engineering. He might do engineering as a sideline. He might be lying about that. I don't know and it isn't relevant. Whatever else he is, he's a bell end. And now he's attempted to ruin someone's life with a vicious attack on them. I hope he has to pay compensation to his victim.

Soldato
Because he's an unpleasant person who harms others and is lauded with credit based on work other people do. In colloquial terms, he's a bell end. Even if he is a competent engineer, he's a bell end. Also, there are many competent engineers. Most of whom are not bell ends.

Musk's primary expertise is publicity, not engineering. He might do engineering as a sideline. He might be lying about that. I don't know and it isn't relevant. Whatever else he is, he's a bell end. And now he's attempted to ruin someone's life with a vicious attack on them. I hope he has to pay compensation to his victim.

You must work with him quite closely then?

Imagine calling someone a pedo in an off the cuff tweet and being told you've attempted to ruin their life lmao

Associate

Musk was repeatedly asked to help in the cave rescue by people on twitter and was encouraged by the leader of the rescue team to work on the sub as a backup. It was the guy suing him who first lowered the tone accusing Musk of simply using it as a publicity stunt, I think he genuinely wanted to help.

It was this that set Musk off and went over the line.

RxR

RxR

Soldato
A powerful media figure (investor cult-figure Musk) accuses an innocent man of being a criminal in the global press, causing others to wonder if the innocent man is a criminal.

Q. What is the cult-figures' genius?

Man of Honour
Musk's primary expertise is publicity, not engineering. He might do engineering as a sideline. He might be lying about that.

Relevant or not you probably want to do a little research before off-hand accusations like that - he has demonstrated the ability to converse at an advanced level in many fields off the cuff, track record of advanced programming, etc. he is certainly no fraud and while some of the engineering credits might more rightly be attributed to others it is his unique vision that has often driven the path to those breakthroughs.

I think people's comments on Musk in this thread tend to speak more to their character, and often poorly, than that of Elon.

Elon Musk is what you'd end up with if you poured all of the GD brainwrongs into a big vat and poured the resulting mixture into a weird face with a bad haircut.

In a funny way you are probably more right than you know.

He didn't just criticise his idea, everyone's free to do that, he did it publicly in an attempt to make him look stupid. Imagine trying to help save kids with your team of expert engineers and being publicly shamed for it, do you think Elon would've insulted him if he sat down with him and said "Thanks for coming mate, but we think the submarine idea might not work though because of X reasons"? Of course not. Now he's claiming to be upset because he got called a mean name, maybe just don't be ******** next time

Sadly a good bit of the original spat seems to have gone missing from the internet in the time past - it certainly wasn't one sided and very much done publicly by both parties - I've zero sympathy for either of them over it was pure nastiness and uncalled for from both sides.

Last edited:

RxR

RxR

Soldato
I wouldn't confuse occupational technical competency with character - they overlap, but aren't the same thing.

Eg. Some reliable tests of 'character' (not just in the military) include:

1. Not being impulsive in word or deed,
2. measuring your response to the real size of a danger or challenge faced,
3. Protecting weaker parties from harm (including that caused by yourself)
4. Manning up to the response-abilities required by your position
5. Showing initiative in redressing harm caused by personal failures (versus 'doubling down') and providing reparative means (including financial compensation required by law)
6. Not being a stone in another, better-qualified, experts' shoe

Etc.

e: From the (US) Navy and Marine Corps Performance Writing Guide, ISBN: 0-96236 73-7-0 definition chapter on Performance and Personality Traits:

Halo effect - noun - over grading based on few traits

Last edited:
Soldato
I find it kind of sad that people are so desperate to cast Musk as either a tech-hero or a *******. In real life people are more complicated than that, and have both virtues and flaws. Musk made his money from a series of .com style businesses, most noteable PayPal, but unlike others that did so, he's taken his money and tried to make amazing things with it. I think that's admirable. He's pushed electric car development forward five years or more, and the same in solar and storage battery technology, and then aimed for the stars with SpaceX. His companies do not have the reputation for exploitation, tax avoidance, and just plain evil of many of his peers. Again, I'm all for that.

But it's hard to argue that calling a rescue diver a pedo is anything other than a ******* move, and it's hardly that out of character. He seems thin skinned, with a tendency to childishly lash out when he's upset, and generally comes off as someone who has never really learned the responsibility that goes with his new role on the world stage.

I think he's both a tech-hero and a bell end; and I think people who try to cast him as one or the other are failing to really understand him.

I concur.

Soldato
...it certainly wasn't one sided and very much done publicly by both parties...

Unsworth should have simply brushed it off within interviews rather than lunge for the attack. It also didn't help with him then saying he wouldn't apologise as that was his opinion.
'Facepalms' all around to be honest.

Man of Honour
[..]
Imagine calling someone a pedo in an off the cuff tweet and being told you've attempted to ruin their life lmao

That's the purpose of falsely accusing someone of something that would get them universally villified and possibly killed, especially in a culture in which presumption of guilt is strongly encouraged in general and especially so for people deemed to be of the "wrong" biological group identity.

Imagine not understanding something so obvious.

Man of Honour
Relevant or not you probably want to do a little research before off-hand accusations like that - he has demonstrated the ability to converse at an advanced level in many fields off the cuff, track record of advanced programming, etc. he is certainly no fraud and while some of the engineering credits might more rightly be attributed to others it is his unique vision that has often driven the path to those breakthroughs. [..]

Which doesn't negate the fact that his primary expertise is publicity, not engineering. I didn't accuse him of being a fraud, so I don't know how you brought that in. His job is publicity and he's very skilled at it, therefore he's clearly not a fraud and, just to make this very clear, I did not accuse him of being a fraud. I did not make the accusation you accused me of making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom