Email Account Hacked

Soldato
Hi

I have had my email account hacked, and they managed to spend £50 on Steam Gift Card Vouchers (via cdkeys and paid via my Paypal).

I have reinstalled windows, and changed password so far.

Is there anything else I need to do that I haven't thought of? I am not sure how the account hack happened

I have raised a Paypal dispute, but what are the likelihood that I will get a refund? It was delivered to my email address and paid for via my Paypal?

Thanks

Edit - I know they where delivered to my email, as I logged onto my ISPs webmail and they had tried to delete them

Last edited:

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Do you use the same password anywhere else? Chances are it was somewhere else that got compromised. Put your email into https://haveibeenpwned.com/, are you on there?

If you're using your ISP for email I'd ditch it and switch to Google/Hotmail/Exchange online and enable two-factor authentication, and use LastPass (free) to generate unique strong password for every site you use. An added bonus is it makes it easy to switch ISP as you don't have to go update everywhere with your new email.

Soldato
OP
Do you use the same password anywhere else? Chances are it was somewhere else that got compromised. Put your email into https://haveibeenpwned.com/, are you on there?

If you're using your ISP for email I'd ditch it and switch to Google/Hotmail/Exchange online and enable two-factor authentication, and use LastPass (free) to generate unique strong password for every site you use. An added bonus is it makes it easy to switch ISP as you don't have to go update everywhere with your new email.

Thanks - Not the email password, that one is only for the email account - Which is what surprised me

I'll switch over to my outlook account, and thanks for the Lastpass link.

Anything else? I did a format and reinstall via the Microsoft Windows 10 Reinstaller - Is that suffice? All I can think of is I had a keylogger of some sort to get that password.

Also any ideas about the £50? It was linked to a debit account which the funds came out of.

Associate

This is the issue I have.... my isp email is 10charachter letter numbers only with no 2fa

I'm going to set up a hotmail account/s

Is one account ok for everything or is it a good idea to have multiple email accounts for bank /investments / paypal/ major retailers/ forums etc

Advice appreciated.

Soldato
2fa and use different passwords for important accounts. My email paypal ebay and facebook all 4 have different passes. For any forums like ocuk etc I use same disposeable password.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
This is the issue I have.... my isp email is 10charachter letter numbers only with no 2fa

I'm going to set up a hotmail account/s

Is one account ok for everything or is it a good idea to have multiple email accounts for bank /investments / paypal/ major retailers/ forums etc

Advice appreciated.

As long as you use different passwords for each site, or as a minimum a different password for your email account to all the sites you sign up for you should be fine.

Personally I prefer Gmail over Hotmail. Their two factor works excellently with an Android phone.

Back
Top Bottom