Emotional Video - Woman hearing for the first time in 29 years

Associate
I was led to believe deaf people can learn to speak by touching the throat, mouth and nose to feel the vibrations and the air escaping. Therefore different accents will have different vibrations.

Associate
It seems a shame to disect it rather than just accept it as a really happy emotion from the woman?

Everyone is happy for her.

However humans like to examine and explain things, its how we learn and understand rather than just observe.

the accent question is very interesting, maybe it is just vibrations, hard to say.

Permabanned
I dont think she was born deaf as she is a very fluent speaker.

Deaf people can still talk, but not that well if they were born and have been completely deaf their entire lives.

Soldato
OP
Everyone is happy for her.

However humans like to examine and explain things, its how we learn and understand rather than just observe.

the accent question is very interesting, maybe it is just vibrations, hard to say.

Agreed, i'm truely happy for her - just curiosity never hurts :)

Soldato
Fantastic story if genuine, but add me to the list of people doubting she could possibly be profoundly and prelingually deaf and yet speak so flawlessly with a 'perfect' local accent. Pretty rare and awesome accomplishment if she is and has learnt to speak so well.

Soldato
Nurse woman: "what does it sound like?".
Seriously lol?

At first I wondered whether the crying woman was retarded or something from the way the nurse was speaking to her, but I think the nurse was just being rude.

Anyway, pretty cool that all the auditory processing stuff in her brain could pick out speech so well after no training.

Associate
Doesn't make sense. She can speak perfect English, yet she's deaf?

Unless you actually hear other people speaking, how do you know what it is they're saying and furthermore how do you learn the English language, i.e. NOT sign language.

Don't say lip reading, because that doesn't teach you how to talk does it?
This does not make any sense at all.

On the contrary, the university I go to does leading research in electronic prosthesis devices such as ear and eye implants. It's really amazing stuff.

Soldato
I remember watching a programme a while ago about an old couple, both were deaf and both had these implants fitted.

I believe they still had to use a hearing aid with them and in the end they didnt bother wearing the hearing aid. The experts put it down to the couples senses being overloaded.

If you think about it people with normal hearing filter out a huge amount of sound to hear whatever it is we're trying to (or not in some cases!) listen to and people who have been deaf since birth have never learnt to do this.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
In addition to the clarity of her speech, there's something else that seems odd to me:

How can someone who has never heard anything immediately understand spoken English? She can't have been lipreading - she wasn't looking in the right direction, she was crying and she had her hands over her face.

Man of Honour
I'm assuming here that she had some degree of hearing but that it was very muffled. That would explain her knowing what people were saying and also an accent.

But it's great to see such joy :)

Don
How can she tell what the woman is saying?

She is covering her eyes as the woman on the right is speaking, if she's never heard before, surely she doesn't know what these new 'sounds' are coming from her mouth?

Back
Top Bottom