1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emperor Akihito: Japanese monarch declares historic abdication

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Evangelion, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Evangelion

Capodecina

It's finally happened.

(Source).

We are the first generation to witness a Japanese abdication since 1817. The Reiwa Era has begun.

2. StriderX

Capodecina

First generation to see the Japanese royalty fail more like, I think his successor is the last going by their lack of options.

3. TheMightyTen

Soldato

Why? They are well liked and they have a full lineage for 2 more Emperors after Crown Prince Naruhito in the forms of Princes Fumihito and Hisahito. Seems they'll be around for some time to me.

4. StriderX

Capodecina

Nothing to do with their demeanour, the line is very thin in comparison to other royal families and leaving the family to marry a commoner means giving up the title forever.

5. Semple

Soldato

They could just modernise their law to allow females to take the throne.

I believe we changed ours quite recently to allow Charlotte to be in line to the throne after george rather than jumping elsewhere?

6. dowie

Caporegime

Wow, finally! You know I was waiting in anticipation for this moment! ;)

I dunno, they could just change the rules to suit the situation or "modernise" as the poster above has pointed out.

I mean we've previously had rules about female succession and marrying a Catholic that have been changed relatively recently.

7. MichaelAwkward

Mobster

Bit late - they've been planning this for years and it wasn't a surprise to anyone, hence the celebrations in Japan and national holiday... :confused: strange thread/wording.