Employment tribunal fees unlawful, Supreme Court rules

Soldato
OP
As chronic said my viewpoint varies on this as you have some people taking their employer to tribunal over some of the most pathetic things you can imagine and then you have those who have genuine cases but can't afford to end up out of pocket.

Well, as it says in the article "The government introduced fees of up to £1,200 in 2013 to reduce the number of malicious and weak cases, but that led to a 79% reduction over three years". Did anyone ever demonstrate that 4 out of 5 tribunal cases were malicious or weak?

When the changes were introduced it struck me as being more of an ideology based move to continue giving the poor and powerless a good kicking.

Soldato
Then reduce the amount of the fee. It costs businesses millions fighting these spurious claims.

Probably somewhat akin to fraudulent car insurance claims, toe rags will try and claim all sorts.

The success rate of claimants didn't change significantly after the fee was brought in. The fee was clearly discouraging rightful claimants as much as bogus claimants.

This is a great victory for justice in this country.

Permabanned
The success rate of claimants didn't change significantly after the fee was brought in. The fee was clearly discouraging rightful claimants as much as bogus claimants.

This is a great victory for justice in this country.

Not sure Justice is the correct word though I agree with the sentiment. Would like some measures to dissuade ***** making tenuous claims and costing everyone time and money is all. :)

Soldato
OP
Then reduce the amount of the fee. It costs businesses millions fighting these spurious claims.

Probably somewhat akin to fraudulent car insurance claims, toe rags will try and claim all sorts.

Surely the main cost for a company is going to be whether they feel they need a lot of time and expensive lawyers to represent them? You normally have to jump through a few hoops before you end up at a tribunal hearing and if a claim is baseless then it should presumably get kicked out without the need for a company to spend a lot of money.

Man of Honour
Fantastic news, should never have happened in the first place. I'm sure the government will try to weasel it back in somehow.

Sgarrista
Commissario
You normally have to jump through a few hoops before you end up at a tribunal hearing and if a claim is baseless then it should presumably get kicked out without the need for a company to spend a lot of money.

Thats the problem, those hoops are easy to fudge or a very low bar.

Unfortunately toerags will toerag out of spite and knowing that the company has very little recourse to recover costs.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Thats the problem, those hoops are easy to fudge or a very low bar.

No they aren't - vexatious claims very rarely get to court due to robust pre-hearing mechanisms and if they do, it's usually due the company not engaging with the process (i.e. burying their head in the sand hoping it will go away).

Sgarrista
Commissario
No they aren't - vexatious claims very rarely get to court due to robust pre-hearing mechanisms and if they do, it's usually due the company not engaging with the process (i.e. burying their head in the sand hoping it will go away).

I can quite confidently say, they are, knowing several people who have done it.

Soldato
You can never have a perfect system, your choice is between a system for all with some abuse, or it being so costly or so many hoops that genuine claims are put off or cannot afford it.

Associate

Simple way to avoid this. Employers should treat their employees with respect and fairly :)

End thread

Soldato
Excellent result, and to show just how weak the government is, they have already rolled over and said they will refund fees for those who have paid up to now.

Back
Top Bottom