End of Private car ownership - thoughts?

Permabanned
Not surprised really ultimately it’s always about money and the acquisition of as much of it as can be had.

I don’t tend to drive as much these days the enjoyment is not what it used to be and most of it is done in a works vehicle that I do not pay for, so not sure how much they’ll be making out of me.

Man of Honour
Sadly seems a lot of push towards life being that way in general - incredibly short sighted but what can you do.

It isn't progress.

Associate
Hectoring tone of the article and the extrapolation from one Tory minister and a single city's scrappage scheme makes me think he's not being called a "crazy conspiracy theorist" because people are sticking their heads in the sand, but because he IS a "crazy conspiracy theorist". The motor industry isn't going to lie down and take this and the Tories certainly aren't going to abolish private vehicle ownership any time soon.

Fruitcakery.

Soldato
Most cars spend most of their time sitting doing nothing.

When you can cheaply have a car at your doorstep in 5 minutes at any time of the day or night, why bother owning one? We'll have to have self-driving cars before that can happen.

But some people will still need their own vehicles. I don't see off-road vehicles being replaced any time soon, for instance.

Permabanned
Hectoring tone of the article and the extrapolation from one Tory minister and a single city's scrappage scheme makes me think he's not being called a "crazy conspiracy theorist" because people are sticking their heads in the sand, but because he IS a "crazy conspiracy theorist". The motor industry isn't going to lie down and take this and the Tories certainly aren't going to abolish private vehicle ownership any time soon.

Fruitcakery.
Lol the car industry would be set to gain not lose from it. They don’t spend billions lobbying to end up on the losing side of parliament decisions.

Man of Honour
why bother owning one?

Call me old fashioned but personally I like to have one already there, which I know is going to be there. One which I've got all setup how I want it with the equipment, etc. onboard that I like to have without the hassle of taking it out and putting it in each time and potentially forgetting something, etc. etc.

Soldato
Most cars spend most of their time sitting doing nothing.

When you can cheaply have a car at your doorstep in 5 minutes at any time of the day or night, why bother owning one? We'll have to have self-driving cars before that can happen.

But some people will still need their own vehicles. I don't see off-road vehicles being replaced any time soon, for instance.

It depends how much cheaper and how much of a proportion of my income it is. If its 10% cheaper to rent one every time I needed/wanted one, I'll just but my own and not have to put up with the grief. They would have to be substantially cheaper to give up private ownership. I can see it working in big city centres where there is already very good and affordable public transport to take second cars off the road.

It also really works with autonomous cars, if public transport or renting a car from Enterprise was cheaper or offered a better service than ownership, ownership would have died already. In reality public transport in the main is worse and more expensive and renting is just grief wile being more expensive.

You also have to consider the behaviour of people, particularly families with young children. When said car arrives, you need to spend 15-20 mins fitting child seats, loading said children and all relating stuff that comes with having a dependent child before you can actually go anywhere. You'll also need somewhere to store all that stuff in your hose! That compared to walking out the front door, putting your kids into your own car where the seats are already in place, the buggy is in the boot with the nappy bag.

Also when you get to the other end you'll have to keep the car on hire otherwise you'll have to carry around child seats and all the other rubbish families keep in their cars all day and then complete the same 20 min process when the return car comes. It sounds like an utterly terrible experience.

I’ve been saying this for months.
Electric vehicles are a pipe dream for most.

Not really, an MG5 is only about £5k more expensive than a Ford Focus but costs a fraction to run. Over its lifetime the MG5 will be considerably cheaper. How is that a pipe dream?

Man of Honour
When you can cheaply have a car at your doorstep in 5 minutes at any time of the day or night, why bother owning one?

You can have that right now - call a taxi. Yet most people don't and instead prefer to own cars. Why would the fact the taxi suddenly drives itself fundamentally change this?

Man of Honour
I disagree. Taxis aren't cheap and you try calling a taxi at 03:00 when you're in the boondocks. Try calling a taxi and having one at your door in 5 minutes.

Whereas a self driving automatic car will be virtually free and there will be many sitting idle ready to be at your door in 5 minutes? Really?

Soldato
Whereas a self driving automatic car will be virtually free and there will be many sitting idle ready to be at your door in 5 minutes? Really?

With self-driving cars there will be economies of scale and - crucially - no need for humans. Humans are the expensive component. So yes, self-driving cars will be much cheaper.

Man of Honour
With self-driving cars there will be economies of scale and - crucially - no need for humans. Humans are the expensive component. So yes, self-driving cars will be much cheaper.

Who will make these cars and where is the profit given so much of what makes cars profitable - specification and desirability - would be rendered irrelevant?

You'd have no real need for anything more than whatever Dacia make if they'll all be used as nothing more than random short term transport.

You seem to under estimate the cost of operating a fleet of state of the art autonomous vehicles and over estimate the cost of someone driving a 2008 Prius as a minicab.

The point people miss is that people like personal transport, even if they don't need it. It's why the car market is so massive and why we have so many different brands. If people thought of cars as purely transport we'd have been left with basically just Toyota years ago.

Soldato
Won’t be in my lifetime (or at least while I’m still driving) so I’m not worried, not sure where all these self driving cars are going to be waiting ready to turn up in 5 minutes to your hikers in the middle of the Lake District or drinkers on Blackpool front are going to be either, maybe for inner cities but further out in the real world it’s not going to be feasible.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Never going to happen, completely unfeasible for the entire country to be facilitated by public transport.

Back
Top Bottom