End of Private car ownership - thoughts?

Soldato
Article is daft and irrelevant. Waymo are offering this service in a small area of LA already though.

@b0rn2sk8
You’re missing the point.
EV is a pipe dream
The real goal is to price the majority off the road.
Let’s just imagine the government swapped every ICE car now for electric.
It would be a disaster, the infrastructure isn’t in place to charge them and nor will it be in the foreseeable future. Fact.

As swapping every car in an instant isnt possible then I ask, what sort of moronic charge provider company would have invested to over supply to that extent?

Lets imagine everyone filled up there cars at the same time with far more less 'Whatif' logic.

Soldato
As swapping every car in an instant isnt possible then I ask, what sort of moronic charge provider company would have invested to over supply to that extent?

Lets imagine everyone filled up there cars at the same time with far more less 'Whatif' logic.

There will never be enough resources to charge 50% of vehicles on the road, if those vehicles where electric.
The entire EV idea is a lie.
I’ve always said it will NEVER work and it won’t, the plan is to massively reduce the number of privately owned vehicles on the roads.

Soldato
How is BEV going to price people out of car ownership? There are cheap BEVs available today and whilst they come with "drawbacks" of smaller batteries and range compared to more premium prices BEVs, for the majority of drivers that's not an issue as most of their trips are low mileage.

Add in the lower running costs and the fact batteries should become cheaper to produce, especially as volumes increase and technology improves, I don't think anyone can say BEVs are about trying to price people out of the market.

Soldato
Not sure that has any relevance at all. Telling people to walk or cycle instead of driving is going to do very much? What would work is what they are doing in Paris by putting decent cycling infrastructure in to make vulnerable road users feel safer as that is the barrier for entry for lots of people that would consider cycling to be an alternative to the car.
Well you were both making some ... interesting... comments about the resolve of French drivers/people so it seemed apt to show you the nonsense their government have come up with to tackle the problem of car ownership.

Soldato
How is BEV going to price people out of car ownership? There are cheap BEVs available today and whilst they come with "drawbacks" of smaller batteries and range compared to more premium prices BEVs, for the majority of drivers that's not an issue as most of their trips are low mileage.

Add in the lower running costs and the fact batteries should become cheaper to produce, especially as volumes increase and technology improves, I don't think anyone can say BEVs are about trying to price people out of the market.
Don't engage him. He gets cross whenever he hears of people spending more than £3k on a car.

Soldato
There will never be enough resources to charge 50% of vehicles on the road, if those vehicles where electric.
The entire EV idea is a lie.
I’ve always said it will NEVER work and it won’t, the plan is to massively reduce the number of privately owned vehicles on the roads.

Arrr, this electricrkery thing it'll never work arrr, I'll keep ma candles and oil lamps arr... off to see the farrier to ge me some new shoes for the horses arr.

Soldato
Soldato
Why didn't they actually do that, then?

With the right datasets, most of which the government already has and thus does not need to rely on people returning surveys, even *I* could map and collate that data into a far more accurate report. It's essentially just matching vehicle keeper/ownership to the address layer, along with the mains and local electriticy line maps. Exclude any non-vehicular addresses and then run a suitability assessment on each property. It won't be 100% accurate compared to the dedicated site visit that each property will require prior to a charge point installation anyway, but it will be far better than some estimate.
If I can do it for smart meters, turning chambers, private pumping stations and various other assets against 18 million properties in and around London, I'm sure they could do it for this. You could even automate it in ARC or similar.

Besides, you can't just look at who drives a car and where they currently live, as they might want to move somewhere that you haven't included in your estimating, as well as excluding those who do not currently have a car but might need one later on.
You do pretty much need to assess every house everywhere... which again can be automated and still end up more accurate than an 'estimate'.

So in conclusion, it's more of a belief than an actual fact.

You clearly didn’t even bother to read the links as one of the studies did exactly what you just said and looked at mapping data for every single house in the country so I think we can leave it there.

Although I’m happy for you do go out and do your own study and feedback your results to discuss if you think you can do better. :)

Soldato
You clearly didn’t even bother to read the links as one of the studies did exactly what you just said and looked at mapping data for every single house in the country so I think we can leave it there.
Then why is it still an estimate, and why aren't all the others using that 'fact' data instead of doing their own studies that estimate different values?
Feel free to leave it there, but there's an awful lot of discrepancy in what you assert to be 'fact'.

Soldato
Then why is it still an estimate, and why aren't all the others using that 'fact' data instead of doing their own studies that estimate different values?
Feel free to leave it there, but there's an awful lot of discrepancy in what you assert to be 'fact'.

I really don't think that needs explaining, particularly for someone who proclaims to be familiar with this sort of thing but I'll bite. It's just not practical to individually eyeball 27 million households to check if their parking is suitable for a charge point.

I've yet to see anything from you or Skoda to back up your assertions that most car drivers do not have off street parking for at least one car in the face of all other signs pointing in the other direction.

Back
Top Bottom