Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Ah that's good then, no need for blackouts and other nonsense. I'm currently sitting here in a power cut so at least the electric will be a bit cheaper today.
I’ve never really thought about it but being all electric, if the power goes I wouldn’t be able to have a cup of tea :eek: doesn’t bare thinking about.

The NG put out a tweet "We've issued a notification to warm three winter contingency coal units. This measure should give the public confidence in Monday’s energy supply."

Some of the responses are pure comedy, but this one stood out to me. How they could manage to get so much fail into one tweet I had to check I hadn't misread it.

"Renewables working out well then , why not just use coal all the time instead of bowing to the environmentally damaging green rubbish ."

"Renewables working out well then , why not just use coal all the time instead of bowing to the environmentally damaging green rubbish ."
edit just reread what you put.... sorry my bad. :D

too many people (some on this forum unfortunately) DO blame renewables despite them currently saving our asses for the most part

_------------------

do you really believe that? the rubbish was listening to the NIMBY asshats and not having more land wind, it's not going even more on offshore. (even tho we are world leading - and why the hell is that money going abroad and not British run companies for all of it?). as well as not pushing better insulation for homes.

and yes... we need nuclear as well to prop it all up , and absolute end of the line some gas as well for now (genius idea getting shut of our storage)

but blaming renewable generation on what is the fault of gas is a pretty big stretch imo

Last edited:
do you really believe that? the rubbish was listening to the NIMBY asshats and not having more land wind, it's not going even more on offshore. (even tho we are world leading - and why the hell is that money going abroad and not British run companies for all of it?). as well as not pushing better insulation for homes.

and yes... we need nuclear as well to prop it all up , and absolute end of the line some gas as well for now (genius idea getting shut of our storage)

but blaming renewable generation on what is the fault of gas is a pretty big stretch imo

Sorry if I mislead thats the one that I had to read twice.

The thing that got me, saying renewables are environmentally damaging :)
Starting to wonder if it was MNashers account

That's an awful idea and makes no sense. We shouldn't be forcing cuts to anyone at this point. We should be fixing the system regardless of costs.
What do you consider fixing the system?

Buying energy at extorniate rates to ensure everything stays turned on, or investment in new energy which will have cheaper running costs?

A big reason energy is so expensive is no one is prepared to go without so we all just pay the asking price, thats not fixing the system.

I am slightly prepared for a blackout (solar battery, only 2400Wh for now) but only for emergency. I wouldn't accept blackouts for lower pricing for energy if there was the option. If it needs to be done to protect the grid = fair enough but that's it.
You can sit with a headtorch on reading a book without the need for us all to participate. Turn your electricity off long enough to lower your energy costs to a level you feel is acceptable. Or do you only care about that if someone makes that decision for you?
That doesnt work as I would still be paying the same unit rates when using it, but give me a 50% unit discount rate and no SC during the blackouts, I will take it.

Next saving session is up for 5-6pm tomorrow £3.37 per unit. This must be a really critical one if they are offering that much.
guess I will have to make sure the battery still have juice in it then . depending on the weather I may have to unplug it for a bit, tho today it lasted right through to my off peak tariff, I even sold some to the grid. I don't expect that to happen often at the moment however.

What do you consider fixing the system?

Buying energy at extorniate rates to ensure everything stays turned on, or investment in new energy which will have cheaper running costs?

A big reason energy is so expensive is no one is prepared to go without so we all just pay the asking price, thats not fixing the system.
Long term renewable production and storage. Regardless now they should delink renewable energy from gas pricing. People will be paying less, want more to move to, increase income from said resource and thus allow greater investment into said areas.

Battery storage can now be used on commercial scale. We are doing it on a project on top of a multistory carpark with PV across the office/hotel roofs accordingly to provide around 2MWh. Might not be the most but its a solid investment to the local off grid usage.

The office space is around 40,000sqft so if you take the average of 22.5kWh a year per soft you are talking around 900,000kWh. That is about 2465kWh a day.

Now if you are able to provide a significant amount during the day through the PV but generally office is mostly shut down by 5pm then the hours after can start to store that energy for the next day. Beyond that the battery can take from grid during cheaper off-peak to top up and the next day use from battery whilst supplementing from the PV.

Just saying let's have forced blackouts isn't helpful or a solution, it is a bandaid over the problem.

Long term renewable production and storage. Regardless now they should delink renewable energy from gas pricing. People will be paying less, want more to move to, increase income from said resource and thus allow greater investment into said areas.
still isn't enough wind/nuke generation to provide a reliable supply without recourse to gas generation, so if you decouple, practicality is, on a daily advance basis (like octopus agile) informing people of dramatically different energy cost for preparing the evening meal at peak time consumption, pretty unfair on those poorer households, and their budget plannng.

How are we improving the grid ready for 2030/2035?
for one the supergrid 175KV? from the East coast windfarms (nukes maybe too) is being upgraded to get energy into the home counties - lots of nimby activity.

, pretty unfair on those poorer households, and their budget plannng.
it's a fair point and am not saying you are wrong.... however there ARE ways to minimise peak time use.
for instance we always have slow cooked stews and chicken curries in the freezer. 1 batch makes 10 meals. 90%+ of the energy making them is already spent and these can be done at any time.

the day.we choose to have them for tea we take out of the freezer in the morning and then all that is needed is to cook some rice for the curry or steam some green beans/peas or what ever for the stew and a few mins in the microwave and we have a healthy home cooked (and cheap) meal without using much on peak energy at all .

Last edited:
I tend to agree with the conclusion in this article https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/oth...sedgntp&cvid=d11026f2d59046428cda8ea3a67f2837 we have 5 major power stations closing in the next five years with another a few years after that. Only 1 new power station will be ready to replace that loss of supply, seems to say prices continue be higher overall for many years forward
I haven't read the link as am about to hit the hay but.... those power stations being closed. I thought they were getting an emergency innovation to keep them open a bit longer. perhaps I am wrong.

Back
Top Bottom