Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Solar is out of the question for much of the UK population due to lack of sufficient sunlight and inappropriate property. After accounting for large battery costs, the idea isn't feasible. Also I think we will see the end of tarrifs offering off-peak rates during the night so that is a dead end too.

If people can't afford the energy costs, the solution is to use less. People generally waste everything they get their hands on, so a good hard lesson is in order I think.

yeah a good hard lesson for those on the bread line using eclectic meters and and already on the bottom rung of society

. Also I think we will see the end of tarrifs offering off-peak rates during the night so that is a dead end too.
Time of Use energy tariff options are only going to increase over the next years.
They will steer homeowners to use energy during less popular times.

Time of Use energy tariff options are only going to increase over the next years.
They will steer homeowners to use energy during less popular times.

Until energy companies see more people wanting to cherry pick to their advantage.
Also, I must point out that despite what I say about using less and paying less, the same theory applies. Energy companies will simply increase the standing charges to claw back the difference, plus the unit price will increase even more substantially. The government and regulators will green light it, so don't expect any support there.

By going for an hour's walk, you've already saved money by not having the TV on. Instead of playing computer games for 2 hours, you can limit it to 45 mins, again saving money given that PCs and modern consoles are not exactly power efficient. Do this every day and the savings are evident, plus think of the health benefits.
Who needs tv when you can walk around your local neighbourhood staring through windows.

Plus you'll save on heating when the police stick you in a cell
:p

People aren't going to swap their entertainment in the evening after a days work for a walk. Can't go the pub either as that's too expensive.

Is it more about micro management?
Newer PCs and screens etc shouldn't use more than 0.5 Watts on standby.. But I tend to flick them off at the plug anyway..
The only things in my house that are on mains 247 is the fridge, the freezer, and the router.

People aren't going to swap their entertainment in the evening after a days work for a walk. Can't go the pub either as that's too expensive.
They won't have much choice in the matter. I think people are going to get a real shock back end of the year. We'll probably have work from home recommendations late Autumn/ early Winter to help "protect" plebs from a new COVID variant. Of course, the real reason will be to try and dampen inflation by trying to reduce demand for petrol and diesel amongst other things. It won't fully work however as people will be paying more on their gas bill to pay for the fact it will be on for much longer whilst WFH.

They won't have much choice in the matter. I think people are going to get a real shock back end of the year. We'll probably have work from home recommendations late Autumn/ early Winter to help "protect" plebs from a new COVID variant. Of course, the real reason will be to try and dampen inflation by trying to reduce demand for petrol and diesel amongst other things. It won't fully work however as people will be paying more on their gas bill to pay for the fact it will be on for much longer whilst WFH.

Says the guy who thinks people are going to go for an hours walk instead of watching tv to save a couple of pence.

I'm thinking the opposite of all this talk of using less.

It's 2022 and the human race should have had a firm grasp on energy generation by now and it should be protected right to be able to have cheap non-polluting electricity. There should be a limit to how much is cheap of course, there'll always be the ones that overkill it and ruin the party. Perhaps one day in the distant future.

the real reason will be to try and dampen inflation by trying to reduce demand for petrol and diesel amongst other things
germany oil industry had proposed WFH already, along with ride-sharing, A road speed reductions, limited city access at weekends.

.... (he is not the Messiah) Martin Lewis take on PV break even with current/projected caps

52216950189_e4e8b6e05b_o_d.jpg

This depends on how much electricity you use and when you use it, and what you're paid under the smart export guarantee

We already know the prices are going up so 'rises by 25%' seems to be a given.

For most households with more than a couple of kids I think the break even figure is a tad lower than they are claiming there.

For people that go to work (i.e. do not work from home), have no children (extra energy users), or just use low amounts of energy I think that would be accurate.

ed - thanks @jpaul for sharing that snippet

Last edited:
I believe him, I have 4 kids one the washing machine and drying going 2 or 3 times a day, 3 have pc's and TV is on most of the day etc ww hit 700kw some winter months but 400-500 this time of year
I am not a fan of using the washing line to dry, but one can’t be too bothered by the prices if using dryer 2-3 times a day when you can hang it up and have dry in an hour or two in the baking sun.

Those break even figures are why I won't be going solar any time soon
That data is way off - I’m saving monthly, what they are predicting annually !!

Solar really needs a battery to benefit most.
Without a battery the panels could be maxed out sending all excess power back to the grid (at 4p kWh credit) but a cloud comes over and suddenly you’re demanding power from the grid (At 31p+ kWh).

With battery storage connected any excess solar power gets stored, so if a cloud comes over it uses that stored solar power from the battery, rather than go to the grid, meaning bigger cost savings.
Also, without a battery, if you’re not home during the day being able to use the solar, then nearly all of it will go to waste.

Looks to me like that table was deliberately designed to put people off solar :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That data is way off - I’m saving monthly, what they are predicting annually !!

Solar really needs a battery to benefit most.
Without a battery the panels could be maxed out sending all excess power back to the grid (at 4p kWh credit) but a cloud comes over and suddenly you’re demanding power from the grid (At 31p+ kWh).

With battery storage connected any excess solar power gets stored, so if a cloud comes over it uses that stored solar power from the battery, rather than go to the grid, meaning bigger cost savings.
Also, without a battery, if you’re not home during the day being able to use the solar, then nearly all of it will go to waste.

Looks to me like that table was deliberately designed to put people off solar :rolleyes:
It's so dependant on time of year though. A guy I work with generates 4Mwh a year, which is not too bad, however that's averaged so he won't be able to generate enough in winter, but makes too much in summer. You have to look at the whole year, not just the peaks in summer. Obviously location makes a difference too (I'd imagine the biggest difference).

A breakthrough in storage tech would be a game changer. I easily generate enough over the summer alone to cover my entire year but no way to store it (and that is just with a relatively small array used to keep a backup system ticking over).

Those break even figures are why I won't be going solar any time soon

A second for data is way off. I have saved around £150 and have only had mine installed just over two months, with no battery!

When battery comes my summer bills are going to be almost zero and winter rate will work out around 10p/kwh

The panels will still produce some power during the winter months, probably around 20-40% of what it does in summer, even on a cloudy day it will still generate something, the obvious thing is that day light hours are significantly shorter than in the summer months.

It's almost a reversal of day light vs night. Summer its 6-7 hours dark, 17-18 hours light. Winter its more like 17-18 dark, 6-7 hours light.

In terms of generation, south facing is the best, followed by west, north and finally east.

Back
Top Bottom