Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I basically lived in this last winter while working from home. Pair of merino long johns under trousers and plenty comfortable for work! No way I'm heating the house all day this winter, will just have it on in the evenings.

I have a similar item that I term my 'all weather' jacket.
Its a mid later and its good in temps down to single figures up to 20c

Basically my go to. Its so comfy. I live in it in winter.

You can get some lovely, comfy 'cool to cold' weather gear that isn't size of a huge jacket.

You can get some lovely, comfy 'cool to cold' weather gear that isn't size of a huge jacket.
I'm wearing mine now, it works in any weather. Waiting for it to drop to 100 quid again in a sale to buy another.

About the same as heating the house for a week's WFH, good excuse to get more winter climbing gear :)

Funny that he's spent the last decade systematically crushing dissent and consolidating his power in the country.....and now he's in a position to put the country through extreme hardship to achieve his wider goals knowing no-one's going to kick him out. Almost like he planned it eh!

Him and his cronies are sitting pretty, plenty of places round the world are happy to keep throwing money at them for their resources.

Seems to me that the West has been catastrophically underestimating Putin for a long time....

He's selling it at discount to countries that will take it. He's done nothing but accelerate European plans to self reliance and away from using Russia as a resource and serious partner going forward. Look at Saudi Vision 2030 and beyond as an example of what he should be doing, instead he's making his country a pariah state with a war on the doorstep of his biggest customers. In the long run he just damages Russia, Putin and his cronies will of course come out fine, just like our elite do. He's a fool, a blunt force that the West don't consider anywhere close a long term threat when compared with the likes of China, a country that plays the long game.

Christmas shouldn't be ruined by not having to buy presents.

I understand more for kids, but that's only because weve conditioned them into that way of thinking

I no longer buy presents for anyone. Took a couple of years for family to accept it. But really, as an adult all you get is junk you don't need. I expect this will increase this year.

Even me and my partner don't do gifts now. Put it towards holiday.

Same here.

We have a slap up meal with family/friends, loads of nice wine, whiskey etc.

No need for gifts.

I'm wearing mine now, it works in any weather. Waiting for it to drop to 100 quid again in a sale to buy another.

About the same as heating the house for a week's WFH, good excuse to get more winter climbing gear :)

I love buying sports gear!
Biking/kayaking thermal stuff is basically interchangeable.

He's selling it at discount to countries that will take it. He's done nothing but accelerate European plans to self reliance and away from using Russia as a resource and serious partner going forward. Look at Saudi Vision 2030 and beyond as an example of what he should be doing, instead he's making his country a pariah state with a war on the doorstep of his biggest customers. In the long run he just damages Russia, Putin and his cronies will of course come out fine, just like our elite do. He's a fool, a blunt force that the West don't consider anywhere close a long term threat when compared with the likes of China, a country that plays the long game.
He's been one step ahead of the West for years, particularly the imbecilic populist morons in charge that he's helped put in power.

I don't know how anyone can look at the situation right now and continue to underestimate him We've been played, and we're paying the price.

I find its easy to keep the body warm, but hands and face less so. Cant be having thick gloves on whilst using my laptop or a full face thermal balaclava and wooly hat in the house.

He's been one step ahead of the West for years, particularly the imbecilic populist morons in charge that he's helped put in power.

I don't know how anyone can look at the situation right now and continue to underestimate him We've been played, and we're paying the price.

Yeah we've been played. And it's our fault. This isn't some stable country suddenly changing. Europe has known this for decades.

Europe blaming Russia for weaponising gas? So what. We've been supplying weapons to Ukraine (which I think is right) , I do not understand this media reporting portraying this as something which is almost 'not polite' or something. Of course Russia are going to use every tool they can against us.

Skiing tech pants for sitting around at home (often called boarders)
Multi layer, vents in case you get too hot, baggy like a pair of baggy jeans

Probably the wrong time of year to look now, after the season (around April) you can often pick them up upto 80% off, so a really decent pair for £20-30

As said decathlon do cold weather gear, and just like skiing its all about layers. Two thin will be more comfortable and warmer than one thick

If your really going for warm in cold temps make sure your base layer is wicking, that way any sweat will be pulled away from your body. Things like long johns and thermals generally do this (need to touch the skin)

I find its easy to keep the body warm, but hands and face less so. Cant be having thick gloves on whilst using my laptop or a full face thermal balaclava and wooly hat in the house.

Just got some nice gore gloves for my kayaking. They are quite thin! I think they'd be suit for keeping house at lower temps. They are almost too warm!

Do you have a heat pump dryer ? Smart lighting might help you set the time it goes on / off

We bought a heat pump dryer about six months ago. Its 900w against the old dryer at 2.7kwh but seems to take three times as long to dry :D....Unfortunately any potential savings have been wiped out with these increases. I recall years ago using a dehumidifier to dry washing on a rack in the spare room. I'm not sure if that's cost effective nowadays but was certainly cheaper than the old type tumble dryer I believe.

We bought a heat pump dryer about six months ago. Its 900w against the old dryer at 2.7kwh but seems to take three times as long to dry :D....Unfortunately any potential savings have been wiped out with these increases. I recall years ago using a dehumidifier to dry washing on a rack in the spare room. I'm not sure if that's cost effective nowadays but was certainly cheaper than the old type tumble dryer I believe.
900w against the old dryer at 2.7kwh Huge savings with febs increase you will be glad you chose hp it might take longer but it's also kinder to your washing

( If you are using a laptop then power brick creates hand warmth, or using an electrically warmed plant germination sheet as a mouse mat/hand rest.)

what are shell on about ? £100M aside to help customers this winter
Does the domestic supply branch have that kind of money to put aside, if it's the extraction/generation arm, well they pay windfall tax anyway, and 100M is peanuts.

Martin Lewis on r4 today this morning trying to create worse panic about increases - BBC get this guy in as a stooge I think, to just rage against govt without any practical suggestions.

900w against the old dryer at 2.7kwh Huge savings with febs increase you will be glad you chose hp it might take longer but it's also kinder to your washing
No saving at all if it takes 3 times longer to dry the washing.
Shouldn't take that much longer. Typical 900W heat pump will put out about 2.5kw worth of heat at least.

i love our heatpump drier. yes it takes maybe 50% longer to dry esp the big towel load, but it uses 30% of the power of the old one.
Also consider a heated clothes maiden. ours was £100, its 300w and a 4hr over night (during octopus go cheap power) saves us a lot.

obviosuly a washing line is better but our kid has allergies when stuff dried outside and besides not much help in winter.

Shouldn't take that much longer. Typical 900W heat pump will put out about 2.5kw worth of heat at least.

I suspect a lot of people that complain about heat pump tumbles are using them in a cold environment so they cannot adequately do enough heat transfer fast enough
A heat pump tumble is cooling the surrounding air by transferring the heat into the drier, small rooms, cold rooms, well surrounded etc must all limit the ability for the drier to do that quickly.

Back
Top Bottom