Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I wonder how many people can cope with turning the heating off?
There will be many who simply can't.

At least they can't disconnect you in winter? I think I read that
Luckily I am used to it, most winters I dont use my heating, I just put on extra clothes and spend extra time under the quilt. Its really only my cold feet that give me problems. Its why I ended up with such a big credit balance as the algorithms assume winter usage is much higher than summer and mine isnt.

Luckily I am used to it, most winters I dont use my heating, I just put on extra clothes and spend extra time under the quilt. Its really only my cold feet that give me problems. Its why I ended up with such a big credit balance as the algorithms assume winter usage is much higher than summer and mine isnt.

Time to invest in some good slippers I reckon.

I wonder how many people can cope with turning the heating off?
There will be many who simply can't.

At least they can't disconnect you in winter? I think I read that
I don't think you can be disconnected if under 18s in the house, or if all people over 65

I think their loyal offers a discount on the SC a small amount. So would be I assume a little bit cheaper.

I will edit my reply to him, but if he wants fixed getting the new tracker and agile would be better, 55p for electric and 16p for gas, with chance if daily rates ever drop they temporarily get cheaper.
Don't worry, I'm not switching to it. :cry:

It's fair enough if you only concentrate on CO2 but it's not green like for instance wind, water, hydrothermal or even nuclear is

It takes a lot of effort (emissions) to build a facility to harness that energy. It probably wouldn't be straightforward to work out a comparison between total emissions (per kWh, say) over the lifetime of each facilities, but a tree can be chopped down by one guy with an axe...

Yeah but the point is, if they weren't burning the wood, the trees wouldn't just magically start decomposing, so the excuse of it's offset by what would have decomposed is it a bit of a myth, it can't be that much better than coal if we go purely off emissions as a result of burning ?

Not sure what you're really driving at. I don't think I've seen anyone make the excuse of it's offset by decomposing. Point is, the carbon in coal was trapped underground for millions of years, it can't easily be recaptured and stored back again in any meaningful way and releasing it all at once (ie. over a century or two) is a significant imbalance. Whereas releasing the carbon trapped in a tree that took 50 years to grow, when that carbon can easily be recaptured by planting another tree to replace it, is a big improvement, even once accounting for transportation etc.

There's no perfectly green solution, for as long as we all want to keep having central heating / air con, and electricity, but some ways are not as bad as others.

The future is low powered items and self generation.

No TV ,pc etc just a smart phone. Tbf we are almost there.

Using a Watts Up Pro Electricity Consumption Meter, we discovered that giving a full charge to an iPhone 6 uses about 10.5 watt-hours of electricity.25 Sept 2019

I don't think I've seen anyone make the excuse of it's offset by decomposing.
From the Open University -
The burning of wood is considered to be carbon neutral as it does not release more CO2 into the atmosphere than if the wood were to decompose naturally, although this CO2 is released in a very short space of time.
The wood would not decompose if it was never cut down

Has anyone tried to get their base usage down to as low as possible? I recently was away for 3 days and I took before and after readings and am using 1.76 kWh of electricity per day. That is just with the fridge, boiler electronics and burglar alarm panel switched on, everything else in the entire house off.

That is quite high.

In my new place I'll need a new fridge anyway so a new E rated fridge (D or E is about the best you can get for a reasonable outlay it seems), that will be about 0.6 kWh per day.

For stuff like TV standby, wifi etc, I am thinking of a solution whereby I can switch everything off at once on leaving the house, sort of like a smart plug or something.

Will still need to use gas for heating (will try cut the temperature though) and shower, cooking etc.

Is it possible to self wire one solar panel and small battery to a dedicated socket just to power the fridge?

Has anyone tried to get their base usage down to as low as possible? I recently was away for 3 days and I took before and after readings and am using 1.76 kWh of electricity per day. That is just with the fridge, boiler electronics and burglar alarm panel switched on, everything else in the entire house off.

That is quite high.

In my new place I'll need a new fridge anyway so a new E rated fridge (D or E is about the best you can get for a reasonable outlay it seems), that will be about 0.6 kWh per day.

For stuff like TV standby, wifi etc, I am thinking of a solution whereby I can switch everything off at once on leaving the house, sort of like a smart plug or something.

Will still need to use gas for heating (will try cut the temperature though) and shower, cooking etc.

Reduce usage yes makes sense, where you can.

Turning off stuff you're not using, not having lights left on etc.

But 1.76 kwh per day isn't really a lot, won't get much savings there.

Fridge/Freezer will be working harder than usual thanks to ambient temps at the moment, so also bear that in mind. In winter that will be less.

From the Open University -

The wood would not decompose if it was never cut down
Everything dies. On a geological scale, trees don't last much longer than humans, even if we leave them alone.

On soon to be price caps its probably 88p a day just from using basically nothing.

It's not nothing though, it's powering your fridge/freezer. I have the same issue, using a baseline of power for devices like this, but ultimately drop it into cost of doing business.

I need/want a running fridge/freezer unit so have to pay up.

My baseline power consumption with basic stuff running is 200w~ or 2.4kwh per day. That includes stuff like router, switches, standby devices.

For anyone retired it’s probably no more expensive to go to Spain or the Canary Islands for 3-4 months over Winter. Defo be a more comfortable style of life out there.

not anymore. 90 days max stay in any 180 day period, so 3 months might just be out of scope, 4 months certainly not happening unless you have an Irish or other EU country passport.

Back
Top Bottom