Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

If there is going to be a cap added, I'd say it would be around here at this new one.

It's high enough to put people off being wasteful, but not high enough to make it totally unaffordable.

Targeted help could be given to those most in need somehow at the new cap, those who really couldn't afford it.
I would say the new cap is totally unaffordable for a large % of the population. The economy will collapse.

No point capping at 3.5k.
But yes at that absolutely solar is a no brainer if your in a house for 10 years. And you can.

Why no point in capping at £3.5K?

It's better than waiting and seeing the prices go to more than £5k cap in Jan.

It has a better delta between actual wholesale and cap prices, which means less "debt" getting accrued as you go.

I think combo of £3.5K cap with properly targeted help for the ones most in trouble for a bit of extra support is the best move.

They are probably going to lose it anyway and they know it…

It’s just one else made crisis after another. Just look at what Truss said about Macron yesterday… they just can’t help themselves.

I think you're right. They are tory. But they aren't completely stupid.

Truss the sacrificial lamb?

I did wonder if they want to lose it. Give Labour the impossible clean up job and then come out in 5 years time saying "look at the mess Labour have made".

Why no point in capping at £3.5K?

It's better than waiting and seeing the prices go to more than £5k cap in Jan.

It has a better delta between actual wholesale and cap prices, which means less "debt" getting accrued as you go.

I think combo of £3.5K cap with properly targeted help for the ones most in trouble for a bit of extra support is the best move.

3.5k cap is unaffordable for so many.
3.5, 5.5, 10. Any of those are high enough that so many people won't be able to pay it won't matter where it is from a country perspective.

The country will be ruined.

I just hope people remember this and they get crucified at the next election.

Good luck. They'll throw out a few catchy soundbites and make some promises which everyone knows they have no intention of keeping, voters will lap it up, and vote them in again, then be surprised when they get ****** up the **** with a giant ***** :cry:

I would say the new cap is totally unaffordable for a large % of the population. The econoy will collapse.

That's why I said target some additional help at the people that need it the most.

I agree with a lot of what is said here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-no-referrals.18948056/page-605#post-35805191

People need to take some personal accountability as well. I don't want to be paying cap pricing either but something has to give.

I have a work colleague who is complaining about the new cap. He told me he runs 4 PC's that are on 24/7 doing different things. Huge disconnect between the reality of the cost and the desire to change.

Good luck. They'll throw out a few catchy soundbites and make some promises which everyone knows they have no intention of keeping, voters will lap it up, and vote them in again, then be surprised when they get ****** up the **** with a giant ***** :cry:

I know.
Just like if a party 10 years ago would have said "let's build a few nuclear power plants, we might have to put tax up a penny, we are worried about the future" they wouldn't get voted in.

Eww nuclear.
Eww more tax.

3.5k cap is unaffordable for so many.
3.5, 5.5, 10. Any of those are high enough that so many people won't be able to pay it won't matter where it is from a country perspective.

The country will be ruined.

But if people use less then they don't pay as much, that average usage will need to come down as well.

Get it down to £3K average and it's £250/month, it's high but shouldn't be insanely out of reach for most people.

Are people recommending getting a fixed for 12month now?

Ours come to an end in June but I've been reluctant to get a fixed ... would a high fixed rate be cheaper than the standard tariffs ? We are with Eon

2k 3.5k 10k

All the difference is where the "normal"* point that unaffordability crosses income.
* I mean ignoring outliers like overly thrifty, and overly heavy spenders vs their income level.

I mean £3.5k is still "only" £300 a month. We are just used to energy being cheap.
An extra £2.5k for many is still the equivalent of a summer holiday, or a 3090Ti for example.

I would actually say a good proportion with (painful) adjustment would afford it.
For me its not this in isolation thats the issue, I am sure many could adjust to it, but that its alongside inflation in food, likely mortgages etc
We were talking elsewhere but I think my food shop for example has probably risen by around £2.5k a year as well compared to pre pandemic.

2k 3.5k 10k

All the difference is where the "normal"* point that unaffordability crosses income.
* I mean ignoring outliers like overly thrifty, and overly heavy spenders vs their income level.

I mean £3.5k is still "only" £300 a month. We are just used to energy being cheap.
An extra £2.5k for many is still the equivalent of a summer holiday, or a 3090Ti for example.

I would actually say a good proportion with (painful) adjustment would afford it.
For me its not this in isolation thats the issue, I am sure many could adjust to it, but that its alongside inflation in food, likely mortgages etc
We were talking elsewhere but I think my food shop for example has probably risen by around £2.5k a year as well compared to pre pandemic.

Yes, if it was just energy it wouldn't be so bad. And as before. Its all about personal circumstances. But 3.5 with all the above is going to be too much for too many.

No easy solutions though

Gees. How can you get a fix cheaper than the cap?

Octopus really are a decent one. I'm not sure how they do it!
It's because they lose money on purpose :)

Shame they can't currently decide whether or not I need a new smart meter so I'm not able to lock in a GO rate :( really hoping they can sort it out soon.

Back
Top Bottom