Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Its probably been asked so apologies if its already posted but is there a link to the unit cost and daily standing charges that will be in place from Jan 2023?

I keep a spreadsheet of usage and current tariff costs, so want to plot to see what that will look like when I come out of my fixed rate in Feb 2023.

We’re in an energy crisis, yet all the town Christmas lights are on all day. That just add up across the country.

Mines all a little over the place cause I asked to be refunded of as much credit as I could at time.

So I have been billed the following
  • October 31st to November 24th Gas = £17.12
  • November 1st to 27th Electric = £39.73
  • Leaving £66 credit (not allowed that back due to Gov rules on it and minimum 1 month credit according to Octopus)
  • November 25th to 30th Gas = £5.05
  • November 28th to 30th = Predicted £4.98 (30th unknown and assumed 5.3kWh for that day based on previous days usage)
  • Leaving £55.97 credit
  • December £67 to be added on 2nd = £122.97 credit after November bills finalised
Going forward I am then on variable direct debit so nothing will be taken until my credit is depleted. So for December usage (Jan bill) I am looking at around £75 usage total with £67 credit again making my bill in Jan £8.65 out of the current credit amount. The next time I should have a bill come out is May usage/Junes bill where I expect my costs to go up to about £90.04 from the current £75.

Similar to our second home. The surplus from the government credit on our account should keep us going well into next year.

Last edited:
Comparing November 2022 energy usage to November 2021 is a bit misleading.

The weather we've had in November 2022 has been ridiculously mild. It must have been the longest we've personally gone before turning the heating on, and that's not because of the current cost of energy.

The weather we've had in November 2022 has been ridiculously mild. It must have been the longest we've personally gone before turning the heating on, and that's not because of the current cost of energy.

It definitely plays a part though. It has been cold enough to need the heating, but the thermostat sits at 16c instead of 18c now.

Yes I know this - I’ve been posting exactly that myself.
My comparison above is slightly different through because this year I have solar and electric (off-peak) heating for hot water, so I’m not using gas for this, which I was last year.

Also we aren’t sitting in the cold - if the heating needs to go then it does.

Only used 279 kWh of gas in November and 270 kWh electricity. Happy with that tbh. For gas that’s a little over double last month, but 1000 less than last November! Actually that extra gas usage over last month is what I saved from adjusting our hot water timings a few months ago.

Its good to know that we can now use a little more heating tbh, especially downstairs on the weekend.

Last edited:
November stats:

803.5 @ 7.14p
0.6 @ 37.94p

plus vat and standing charges
£73.43

Happy with that!
Do you have gas usage as well?

We totalled 314kWh of electricity and 685kWh of gas for the month of November. Heating is "on" a lot but we only have it set to 19ºC so the boiler isn't actually running that much.

We set back our temperature to 16ºC during the day and at night rather than it being "off", so I'm curious to see if we ever get little hits of the heating running to keep us at 16ºC.

Do you have gas usage as well?

We totalled 314kWh of electricity and 685kWh of gas for the month of November. Heating is "on" a lot but we only have it set to 19ºC so the boiler isn't actually running that much.

We set back our temperature to 16ºC during the day and at night rather than it being "off", so I'm curious to see if we ever get little hits of the heating running to keep us at 16ºC.
Mine is 16 day time and after 21:30 and it hit 16 last night so about to kick in if it gets colder. Think it was 2 degrees last night where I was.

Yep. Though I have had an issue with the gas smart meter so I thought it might just be related to that.
I've just had a reply they basically turned off payments while there getting the government money each month so your account will build for 6 months then you'll get a huge bill.
I've pointed out how stupid this is.
I'll be paying manually for now.

Anyone on Octopus and variable payments had it where they aren't taking your direct debit.
I haven't paid anything since September.

Yep - the last DD we paid was in September.
My credit is slowly reducing but should be enough to see me through until the sun starts shining properly again. My current elec monthly bill is between £80-£100, which also includes my fuel bill for about 800 mile and heating water. Should be due another £66 Gov credit in the next couple of days which will bring my credit back up to £428

52537504231_bd421ae455_o.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom