Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I've just had a reply they basically turned off payments while there getting the government money each month so your account will build for 6 months then you'll get a huge bill.
I've pointed out how stupid this is.
I'll be paying manually for now.
That is dumb if it leads to people having huge bills! Coincidentally, Bulb never took my DD last month either and didn't tell me why.

November was quite mild, it wasn't until the 21st that we started putting the heating on more and scheduling it (rather than boost for half an hour).
Elec was ~£65, gas was ~£40. So looking at a bill of £40 with the credit.
It looks like the next bill will be quite higher at £150+

British Gas still haven't fixed a 'software issue' that has stopped me being able to see online usage since 11 June. Keep checking each month, yesterday they said

"I'm unsure what the route cause is but we're currently working on finding a fix for this which is affecting a number of accounts. I can't give an exact timescale, but I know they're working as a matter of urgency to resolve this. "

It's nearly 6 months, I hate to think how long non urgent software issues take!

British Gas still haven't fixed a 'software issue' that has stopped me being able to see online usage since 11 June. Keep checking each month, yesterday they said

"I'm unsure what the route cause is but we're currently working on finding a fix for this which is affecting a number of accounts. I can't give an exact timescale, but I know they're working as a matter of urgency to resolve this. "

It's nearly 6 months, I hate to think how long non urgent software issues take!

Same boat. I have raised complaints, they are telling me January 2023 expected rectification.

I've just had a reply they basically turned off payments while there getting the government money each month so your account will build for 6 months then you'll get a huge bill.
I've pointed out how stupid this is.
I'll be paying manually for now.
They only do that if your bill is less than your credit plus the gov amount. You won't get a huge bill and will continue to be billed if your usage is greater. At least that's the email I've had from them yesterday.

Yep - the last DD we paid was in September.
My credit is slowly reducing but should be enough to see me through until the sun starts shining properly again. My current elec monthly bill is between £80-£100, which also includes my fuel bill for about 800 mile and heating water. Should be due another £66 Gov credit in the next couple of days which will bring my credit back up to £428

52537504231_bd421ae455_o.png
Fair. That amount of electric on variable right now would be £290!

We used more gas than I hoped this month!
941kwh! Most of that was 2nd half

Certainly need to get on figuring out why our house (1999 build) is so poor at heat in.

tu7jvrx.jpg
For completeness. This is electricity.

Crazy how similar it is month on month.

umuMfg7.jpg

Last edited:
They only do that if your bill is less than your credit plus the gov amount. You won't get a huge bill and will continue to be billed if your usage is greater. At least that's the email I've had from them yesterday.
You must have missed the bit where I said "variable payments"

Seems about right, I used around 1000kWh of gas in November in a 4 bed 2000 build. Heating was set to 18c 24/7.
Yup sounds about right. We used 1575 kWh in November. Also 4 bed detached early 90's build. Stat on around 21c 6.30am - 10.30pm then 18c overnight

Thanks both.

Keep seeing people saying they haven't turned heating on yet and I'm here thinking.. How?

We are both in all day too

Thanks both.

Keep seeing people saying they haven't turned heating on yet and I'm here thinking.. How?

We are both in all day too
Sensitivity to cold, I remember you was loving the 30+ temps in summer, so you sensitive to cold, whilst I am the opposite I am sensitive to heat.

With that said I am feeling the current temps now a little bit and have some gloves on.

I have always felt its easier to warm up than it is to cool down, warming up is basically just adding layers and exercise.

Last edited:
Missus couldn't close the BG account while I was away as her name not on the account, so I'll have to do it on Monday, in the meantime, they've taken the £230 odd quid DD out for the electricity, so that puts us at just shy of £1k in credit with them...

You must have missed the bit where I said "variable payments"
I'm on variable payment. So they take however much out of credit and the gov amount. If the credit and the gov amount fails to cover they take the rest from your variable though.

So if you have say £100 credit £67 from gov and your bill is £127 then you don't pay anything and you are left with £40 credit. Then the next month your bill is £127 again.

You've got £40 credit and £67 gov so you pay £20 from your variable direct debit.

My credit build to my use means my next bill.will be June 2023 if I can keep my usage as low as November. But no you never build a debt for 6 months so your post is wrong.

For instance I have £133 credit as of 2nd December less my bill for November which was £10 because they took the rest on 27th Novmeber out the rest of my credit I had refunded.

My monthly average is looking to be £75 at the current price cap as I'm at about 110kWh electric and 150kWh gas usage. So my bill is £75-£67=£8 that £8 comes out of the remaining£123 balance.

Last edited:
I'm on variable payment. So they take however much out of credit and the gov amount. If the credit and the gov amount fails to cover they take the rest from your variable though.

So if you have say £100 credit £67 from gov and your bill is £127 then you don't pay anything and you are left with £40 credit. Then the next month your bill is £127 again.

You've got £40 credit and £67 gov so you pay £20 from your variable direct debit.

My credit build to my use means my next bill.will be June 2023 if I can keep my usage as low as November. But no you never build a debt for 6 months so your post is wrong.

For instance I have £133 credit as of 2nd December less my bill for November which was £10 because they took the rest on 27th Novmeber out the rest of my credit I had refunded.

My monthly average is looking to be £75 at the current price cap as I'm at about 110kWh electric and 150kWh gas usage. So my bill is £75-£67=£8 that £8 comes out of the remaining£123 balance..
They should be taking the amount I owe each month. The amount I owe is slowly increasing because they are taking £0 each month.
Last month was £150 usage, minus the £67 government money should have meant they take £83 via my direct debit but they took nothing.
My account currently sits at -£200. If I do nothing my bill when the government money ends will be over £1,000.

Last edited:
They should be taking the amount I owe each month. The amount I owe is slowly increasing because they are taking £0 each month.
Last month was £150 usage, minus the £67 government money should have meant they take £83 via my direct debit but they took nothing.
My account currently sits at -£200. If I do nothing my bill when the government money ends will be over £1,000.
Oh that is 100% not what they are doing for me where they are still taking the variable amount if over a 0 balance owed. I'd contact them again as some seems to have messed up a little with your account tbh.

But in meantime if you know its low it no problem to manually top up surely rather than just going going to have huge bill in 6 months.

Oh that is 100% not what they are doing for me where they are still taking the variable amount if over a 0 balance owed. I'd contact them again as some seems to have messed up a little with your account tbh.

But in meantime if you know its low it no problem to manually top up surely rather than just going going to have huge bill in 6 months.

Interest is better nowadays. Would be better to keep quiet and just pay it off when asked (assuming you know you will have the means to).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom