Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Still not put the heating on, 15C indoors at present, perfect, not even got a jumper on.

I assume you aren’t married and don’t have a wife nagging at you constantly to switch it on :p

At least the wife is away next weekend, so I can leave it off. My PS5 and TV give off all the heat I need. Of course she’s off to our second home that only has electric radiators, so god knows how much that’ll cost. Gas is still hella cheap in comparison.

Last edited:
Interest is better nowadays. Would be better to keep quiet and just pay it off when asked (assuming you know you will have the means to).
Yeah that fine as long as you are disciplined to do so and check your monthly and keep it noted indeed. Its why I asked for my credit back and go to variable though so I wasn't overpaying and could put in the Barclays rainy day at 5%

I assume you aren’t married and don’t have a wife nagging at you constantly to switch it on :p

Mines the other way on that one.
Of course she’s off to our second home that only has electric radiators, so god knows how much that’ll cost. Gas is still hella cheap in comparison.

First world problems though right? :p

Last edited:
What approach are people taking to heating their homes at present? We live in a new, 2 bed semi-detached with a combi boiler and upgraded (Larger) radiators throughout. At present we are running our heating downstairs for an hour from 1730-1830 and the bedrooms for an hour 2000-2100 (Dual zone climate control in our house), however I'm wondering if it's worth me just setting the thermostat at a constant 18c throughout the day from say 0700 to 2200 as opposed to giving it a big blast of energy twice a day?

What approach are people taking to heating their homes at present? We live in a new, 2 bed semi-detached with a combi boiler and upgraded (Larger) radiators throughout. At present we are running our heating downstairs for an hour from 1730-1830 and the bedrooms for an hour 2000-2100 (Dual zone climate control in our house), however I'm wondering if it's worth me just setting the thermostat at a constant 18c throughout the day from say 0700 to 2200 as opposed to giving it a big blast of energy twice a day?
Heating on 24/7 in various rooms at different temperatures.
Living room 18.5c between 06:00 and 19:00 15c overnight.
Bedrooms 17c in the evenings and mornings.

Log burner going during the day in the living room. Generally keeps it around 21c and the dining room 18c.

Depending on what you're setting the temperature to when the heating is coming on in the evening, it's likely that keeping it at a constant 18degC would be costing you more.

I've got mine to come on first thing in the morning, then in the evening (it's still on through the day, but set to 14degC so takes a very cold day to trigger it).

I control mine by need in every room using smart TRV’s that can independently call for heat.

Just one radiator in the hall is left uncontrolled along with a towel radiator.

This is what I use.

I do leave the timer on my boiler to ensure I’m not heating anywhere between midnight at 6am.

Most rooms are set to around 16-17C with the ones in use set to around 19C. The wife does bost the living room to 21 while we are watching TV at night. But im saving so much with the solar + battery that I don’t really mind.

Most days I walk around with a T-Shirt and light jumper / cardigan.

I would be happy for the house to be quite a bit cooler, but not worth the hassle!

Last edited:

At least the wife is away next weekend, so I can leave it off. My PS5 and TV give off all the heat I need. Of course she’s off to our second home that only has electric radiators, so god knows how much that’ll cost. Gas is still hella cheap in comparison.
You've still got plenty of time to pop over and disable the heaters. Act shocked and sympathetic as she rallies around trying to turn them on. ;)

Tell her to put more clothes on and wrap up in a blanket.
As I've gone past houses, I've noticed quite a few people sat in houses with throws on. I was saddened when I saw an old couple wearing wool hats too, while watching TV. :(

Thanks both.

Keep seeing people saying they haven't turned heating on yet and I'm here thinking.. How?

We are both in all day too

If I was alone I would still not have it on. But with a family, can’t be doing that and temps dropped the past couple of weeks so heaters had to come online.

I only just started wearing jumpers when in doors, before was t-shirt only. Had some here with 4 layers and wondering how I was doing it :cry:

Yeah sounds great.

"14-15° - If your home is this cold, you may be diminishing your resistance to respiratory diseases."

www.cse.org.uk/advice/advice-and-support/heat-and-health

Understanding that has been relevant for me.
My BP has increased around 10+ points (systolic, and a little lower for diastolic). That would be enough to increase my BP meds needed due to try and bring it back down to reasonable levels.
That rise for me is associated in trying to keep the fuel bills down but in doing so living a pretty cold house.
Choices..... Neither being great.

I control mine by need in every room using smart TRV’s that can independently call for heat.

still not sure whether smart TADO type are the smart choice versus pressure independant ones, to optmise boiler efficiency, recently learned of in boiler thread ?

You can get TRVs that do dynamic balancing. They each have a built in DPCV. Have a look at this. On these Pt40s, you set the design flow rate and it will automatically balance the radiator for you. They virtually eliminate the need for commissioning. As you say, they should be paired with a pump at constant pressure but variable volume. You're unlikely to have these specific valves unless you have a heat network.

I haven't watched his video, but these aren't your typical self balancing TRVs. I also have mixed feelings about him; it's hard to trump 50 years of Danish district heating technology.

I never received a voucher to top up from Eon for November so I contacted support via email and got a reply on the 24th november saying they could come anytime until the end of the month..

Their own website says they should come around the middle of the month, They literally made me wait until the 30th before I had to contact them again to say they still haven't came.
I have re-issued the vouchers out now which will be with you within 2-3 weeks. We do send them out early in the first week of the month
2-3 weeks???? so I will get the December payment before the November one at this rate.

Can you imagine if it were someone actually struggling who desperately needed the money? like these payments are supposed to be for....
bare in mind they only send the vouchers out to people with "top up keys" so circumstances would suggest the most hardup members of society who are probably struggling the most.

What a shambles If I were an OAP getting a state pension oir whatever that would pretty much be my Christmas Cancelled all because Eon won't reissue the vouchers until the end of the month if they never arrive

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom