Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I never received a voucher to top up from Eon for November so I contacted support via email and got a reply on the 24th november saying they could come anytime until the end of the month..

Their own website says they should come around the middle of the month, They literally made me wait until the 30th before I had to contact them again to say they still haven't came.

2-3 weeks???? so I will get the December payment before the November one at this rate.

Can you imagine if it were someone actually struggling who desperately needed the money? like these payments are supposed to be for....
bare in mind they only send the vouchers out to people with "top up keys" so circumstances would suggest the most hardup members of society who are probably struggling the most.

What a shambles If I were an OAP getting a state pension oir whatever that would pretty much be my Christmas Cancelled all because Eon won't reissue the vouchers until the end of the month if they never arrive
:( https://www.theguardian.com/busines...people-struggling-to-access-uk-energy-support

People using oil to heat their homes the price seems to have dropped quite a bit in the last few weeks. Now £400 for 500ltrs, is this because people just aren't buy it?

Not complaining as we can just about manage as we've ordered 1000ltrs to last until at least February, maybe longer.

Last edited:
People using oil to heat their homes the price seems to have dropped quite a bit in the last few weeks. Now £400 for 500ltrs, is this because people just aren't buy it?

Not complaining as we can just about manage as we've ordered 1000ltrs to last until at least February, maybe longer.
Price of crude oil is down recently.

You're paying £800 for three or four months, just for heating? :eek:

You're paying £800 for three or four months, just for heating? :eek:
Yeah but as soon as the weather turns in April we don't use any again until October as it uses nothing for heating the water.

It's an old farmhouse with no wall insulation so it gets cold quickly. So it costs £1200 a year depending on the oil price.

Last edited:
Yeah but as soon as the weather turns in April we don't use any again until October as it uses nothing for heating the water.

It's an old farmhouse with no wall insulation so it gets cold quickly. So it costs £1200 a year depending on the oil price.

That's currently what I'm paying for a years gas and electric combined, not including the current grants.

My contract with Octopus runs out in September next year though, dreading what I'll be paying then, probably twice the amount. :(

What approach are people taking to heating their homes at present? We live in a new, 2 bed semi-detached with a combi boiler and upgraded (Larger) radiators throughout. At present we are running our heating downstairs for an hour from 1730-1830 and the bedrooms for an hour 2000-2100 (Dual zone climate control in our house), however I'm wondering if it's worth me just setting the thermostat at a constant 18c throughout the day from say 0700 to 2200 as opposed to giving it a big blast of energy twice a day?

I just set mine to 20. Comes on at 02:30-03:30 for when I get up for work and then again at 09:00. Will be up to temp by around 10:00 and will sporadically come on during the day to keep those temps and switch off at 21:00 as we get ready for bed.

Thermostat is in the hallway and that is the biggest volume to heat in our 3 bed detached. We have used 362 units of gas since 24th of September till today. Not really sure if that is any good or not. 2 adults and 2 kids. House is occupied 24/7. According to my account it is around £5.80 a day atm.

Last edited:
That's currently what I'm paying for a years gas and electric combined, not including the current grants.

My contract with Octopus runs out in September next year though, dreading what I'll be paying then, probably twice the amount. :(
Yeah are electric is currently £2000 a year plus the oil, so £3200 just on fuel. Locked into a lower tariff with British gas until May next year. So I guess it'll be even more next year.

I just set mine to 20. Comes on at 02:30-03:30 for when I get up for work and then again at 09:00. Will be up to temp by around 10:00 and will sporadically come on during the day to keep those temps and switch off at 21:00 as we get ready for bed.

Thermostat is in the hallway and that is the biggest volume to heat in our 3 bed detached. We have used 362 units of gas since 24th of September till today. Not really sure if that is any good or not. 2 adults and 2 kids. House is occupied 24/7. According to my account it is around £5.80 a day atm.

£5.80 a day in gas alone? Because I'm guessing that 362 "units" of gas must be 362m3 of gas. We have our thermostat set to 19 for 1.5/2 hours in the morning, then 5/6 hours in the evening, and back to 16C in between. In a modern 3-bed detached we used 684kWh of gas for all of November.

Your 362m3 of gas will be just over 3800kWh, hence me thinking there's no way you could have only used 362kWh of gas for probably a similar sized house and at a higher temperature since late September. Gas usage includes hot water with a Combi boiler for us. I'm guessing it does for you too (either via Combi or hot water tank).

£5.80 a day in gas alone? Because I'm guessing that 362 "units" of gas must be 362m3 of gas. We have our thermostat set to 19 for 1.5/2 hours in the morning, then 5/6 hours in the evening, and back to 16C in between. In a modern 3-bed detached we used 684kWh of gas for all of November.

Your 362m3 of gas will be just over 3800kWh, hence me thinking there's no way you could have only used 362kWh of gas for probably a similar sized house and at a higher temperature since late September. Gas usage includes hot water with a Combi boiler for us. I'm guessing it does for you too (either via Combi or hot water tank).

That is what it is. I just read my meter and sent the reading this morning and yes it is m3. Eon next took -£413.83 from my credit which for 71 days is £5.82 a day.

Yes our Gas usage is with a combi boiler. House is a 1970's detached with roof and wall insulation. Boiler is about 15 years old but is serviced regularly and flushed once a year by myself. Have also fitted enlarged radiators in all rooms.

Last edited:
That is what it is. I just read my meter and sent the reading this morning and yes it is m3. Eon next took -£413.83 from my credit which for 71 days is £5.82 a day.

Yes our Gas usage is with a combi boiler. House is a 1970's detached with roof and wall insulation. Boiler is about 15 years old but is serviced regularly and flushed once a year by myself. Have also fitted enlarged radiators in all rooms.
Yep, usage probably isn't too far above expected use, especially with 4 people's hot water and heating on a lot :)

What approach are people taking to heating their homes at present? We live in a new, 2 bed semi-detached with a combi boiler and upgraded (Larger) radiators throughout. At present we are running our heating downstairs for an hour from 1730-1830 and the bedrooms for an hour 2000-2100 (Dual zone climate control in our house), however I'm wondering if it's worth me just setting the thermostat at a constant 18c throughout the day from say 0700 to 2200 as opposed to giving it a big blast of energy twice a day?

Comes on just before 6am to heat it to 18/19c for an hour, 17/18 at midday for an hour, and from 5pm until 9pm at 18/19. It get's turned off it we have the fire going. If i'm at home in the day i'm usually in the 'study' which is a small nook about 1.5x2m with a 500w oil heater that I have on.

Last edited:
Eugh, averaging 45-50kwh gas/day atm, at 10.3p that's about £5.30 + electric around 8kwh, so another ~£2.70 = £8/day or £240/month.

It's what I budgeted for, so not a big problem, but still sucks to see!

Wow that's about 10x my gas usage for November at around 4.5kWh gas a day. This is why I don't put the heating on.

I have no idea how much it would use but I need to keep my bill at basically zero to afford my other bills and afford to eat. Unfortunately I don't qualify for any help though but that just how it is.

Wow that's about 10x my gas usage for November at around 4.5kWh gas a day. This is why I don't put the heating on.

I have no idea how much it would use but I need to keep my bill at basically zero to afford my other bills and afford to eat. Unfortunately I don't qualify for any help though but that just how it is.
I think the problem with heating is its addictive, you either dont use it, or use a lot, as once its on for an hour, you will crave more.

You presumably have the current £400 over six months and also maybe the £150 Council Tax rebate earlier this year (which was to help with energy costs).

Last edited:
I think the problem with heating is its addictive, you either dont use it, or use a lot, as once its on for an hour, you will crave more.
Aye very possible. I did that trial earlier for heat gain/loss and I'd need it on for 4hrs morning and 3hrs evening approx every day to hold a proper 19degree heat in the house.

That cost I expect would be pretty high tbh. As an approx a combi boiler is 12kWh so 7 hours is 84kWh = £8.65 a day at current prices!! I don't get how anyone is affording to use heating tbh. £270 a month is crippling.

Sadly I don't get the option*, that's with the thermostat set to 16 overnight, 19 for a couple of hours in the morning/evening/during the day at the weekend, and off completely during the week :/

*if I want to keep my manhood intact :cry:

You presumably have the current £400 over six months and also maybe the £150 Council Tax rebate earlier this year (which was to help with energy costs).
The council tax went up more than the £150 returned for the year anyways so that was nothing basically. And yeah over that period my costs have been of course much higher than what £150 was.

The bills have tripled even though my usage is 20% of what I wad using relative to my fix that finished in March. I've lost income of £500 a month since start November so having to cut things down to make that loss not affect to pay my bills otherwise is difficult but I earn well. Its not in anything more than statement. There's be people much worse off than I am and I just don't get how people are coping at all.

Back
Top Bottom