Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

About £8 a day in gas alone for me at the moment, that's a 4 bed semi with a loft conversion. Thermostat is set to 19c in the evening and 16 in the day. November was £267 for gas and electric

Pretty grim

This week is gonna be scary as hell on the gas bill

I just calculated our costs for the last four days and wish I hadn't :( We've used almost £20 of gas since the 1st December. At that rate, our bill for December will be £155 just for the gas

On a very modern, thermally efficient house with the thermostat set to 16c

Aye very possible. I did that trial earlier for heat gain/loss and I'd need it on for 4hrs morning and 3hrs evening approx every day to hold a proper 19degree heat in the house.

That cost I expect would be pretty high tbh. As an approx a combi boiler is 12kWh so 7 hours is 84kWh = £8.65 a day at current prices!! I don't get how anyone is affording to use heating tbh. £270 a month is crippling.

We all have different budgets and priorities - as bonkers as it sounds I’ve binned off loads of other non-essential stuff so we can budget to have the heating on at a reasonable level.

We spend about £250 a month on gas, but it’s budgeted for and we won’t be cutting it back (this year at least).

Will prices ever go down? Surely those make profit from the supply of gas won't want to drop price as it's in-elastic? As in, consumption won't go up to offset the price going back down to prior levels?

Even though electricity is significantly more expensive per kWh, we're finding it cheaper to use oil filled radiators to heat the rooms we're in and a heated electric blanket for top-ups on the sofa than running the gas central heating.

And we have the central heating radiators turned off in the rooms we're not in. God knows where the heat goes as the boiler keeps firing and it's not coming out of the radiators in the quantity you'd expect for the gas kWh consumed.

Even though electricity is significantly more expensive per kWh, we're finding it cheaper to use oil filled radiators to heat the rooms we're in and a heated electric blanket for top-ups on the sofa than running the gas central heating.

And we have the central heating radiators turned off in the rooms we're not in. God knows where the heat goes as the boiler keeps firing and it's not coming out of the radiators in the quantity you'd expect for the gas kWh consumed.
What boiler do you have? Sounds like it may not be the most efficient or setup right.

What boiler do you have? Sounds like it may not be the most efficient or setup right.
25 year old Thorn EMI Olympic or Olympus, forget the exact name. Radiators of the same age old or older.

We're planning to get it replaced next year as the heating engineers couldn't do it before winter so we said we'd wait
But I don't know how much difference that will make, and how much is the draughty 1930s house

25 year old Thorn EMI Olympic or Olympus, forget the exact name. Radiators of the same age old or older.

We're planning to get it replaced next year as the heating engineers couldn't do it before winter so we said we'd wait
But I don't know how much difference that will make, and how much is the draughty 1930s house
That boiler is around 65% efficient max if it’s running at its most optimum. A new boiler that is over 90% efficient will make a difference but as you say a poorly insulated house is not going to help things.

Last edited:
They are on the cusp of banning gas boilers anyway. I imagine at this point its better to leapfrog to whatever is better but depends what quote you can get also. Always improve any insulation possible.

Must admit I've been wearing a wooly hat when WFH. Makes a nice difference really. Yet to break out the ski thermals though.

Someone told me they are wearing their diving gear while at home, for cold water protection its effective I guess. Its like some super thermal yeti costume to go under a wet suit

We all have different budgets and priorities - as bonkers as it sounds I’ve binned off loads of other non-essential stuff so we can budget to have the heating on at a reasonable level.

We spend about £250 a month on gas, but it’s budgeted for and we won’t be cutting it back (this year at least).
Surprised you're having to cut back to pay the gas bill.

They are on the cusp of banning gas boilers anyway.
As far as I know only in newly build homes from 2025 (in the UK).

Last edited:
Will prices ever go down? Surely those make profit from the supply of gas won't want to drop price as it's in-elastic? As in, consumption won't go up to offset the price going back down to prior levels?
The OPEC cartel have already decided to cut production of Oil to keep prices high so I imagine it will be similar for gas

They are on the cusp of banning gas boilers anyway. I imagine at this point its better to leapfrog to whatever is better but depends what quote you can get also. Always improve any insulation possible.

Someone told me they are wearing their diving gear while at home, for cold water protection its effective I guess. Its like some super thermal yeti costume to go under a wet suit

d5aExfY.jpg

Our first good taste of winter. Not going to be fun.

My Gas usage has doubled in November over October. £70 to £140. Electricity is pretty good now at a shade under £100 when it would over £200 a few months ago.

So I'm not so worried about Electricity now, just the Gas, we only use it for Cooking, Hot Water and Heating but it's hit us hard

Last edited:
I just calculated our costs for the last four days and wish I hadn't :( We've used almost £20 of gas since the 1st December. At that rate, our bill for December will be £155 just for the gas

On a very modern, thermally efficient house with the thermostat set to 16c

Same, we're supposed to be in a new build with all the latest insulation so I'm surprised how quickly it gets cold after the heating turns off. There's no gaps or drafts anywhere I can see

Back
Top Bottom