Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

The point being it is £20k more for a home install after the fact. It is about £4k for them to be installed by the builder. And further to that the point being the regs are the issue, pushing for regs that are half assed is the problem. Not the builders directly. Also we have worked with 2 or 3 smaller developers that have already gone ground source so it isn't completely impossible but regs need to be better written and more stringent.

To that end a coupe of other developers are looking at alternatives because air source are not suitable for the level of clientel and they are likely to swallow cost and indeed increase the sales price to cover.

And yes better regs are needed for insulation/cavity increase, triple glazing, UFH, solar and PV etc. But the starting point should be at least considering the minimal footprint homes have with gardens and such ground source heat pumps rather than air source.

Your post reads like you're complaining that home builders are doing the minimum to comply with regs, which is to be expected unless you are buying a somewhat custom/bespoke home. Where are you getting £4k install costs by a home builder? Sure maybe for an ASHP but the issue with GSHP is the land space you get with most new builds is small so you have drilling and boring costs (since theres not enough space for trenching), plus the management of that project pipeline to do. This is the reality for most new builds, we're not talking about one off new builds in large plots etc as they are far from the norm to the majority.

Agreed, to a "healthy temperature" maybe, which I think is considered 18C, but not comfortable, and everyone has a different comfort level as well.

Poverty is usually about affordability on essentials not comforts?

18-20 is considered the comfortable temp.

We have been playing with 18 and it feels ok during the day but in the evening it can feel a little chilly

The room specific temps seem to have differing temps which all make sense really

Living Room​
20°C - 22°C​
Bedroom​
16°C - 19°C​
Office Room​
20°C - 22°C​
Children's bedroom​
16 - 20 °C​
Entryway​
15°C - 18°C​
Corridor​
15°C - 18°C​
Bathroom​
22°C - 24°C​
Kitchen​
18°C - 20°C​

We've just settled on 19C house-wide. Does feel a touch chilly in the en-suite as that room seems to lose heat a little quicker than others, even after the shower has been on for a bit (plus then opening the window to keep humidity down).

To that end a coupe of other developers are looking at alternatives because air source are not suitable for the level of clientel and they are likely to swallow cost and indeed increase the sales price to cover.
think there is a catch-22 here, industry seems to ackowledge ASHP prices need to drop with mass production, also enhancements for (efficient) higher output temperature, and making the fans quieter,
like has happened with PV panels, say.

Whole house at 18 or just the rooms your in? Our house would cost a small fortune to keep at that temperature all the time.
Whole house, kind of

My office, our bedroom, spare ensuite are all off or practically off and don't come on.
Rest are around that temp as a whole.
Thing is my other half hates shut doors so its hard to even get them pulled up and as such the heat will creep anyway

When she gets her way the whole house is like 22. Its certainly not unusual for me to end up in boxers and tshirt when shes been at the heating controls ;)

Whole house, kind of

My office, our bedroom, spare ensuite are all off or practically off and don't come on.
Rest are around that temp as a whole.
Thing is my other half hates shut doors so its hard to even get them pulled up and as such the heat will creep anyway

When she gets her way the whole house is like 22. Its certainly not unusual for me to end up in boxers and tshirt when shes been at the heating controls ;)

I have one of those sort of women, too. I could take all the internal doors off and put them on Ebay for what use they get.... :(

Your post reads like you're complaining that home builders are doing the minimum to comply with regs, which is to be expected unless you are buying a somewhat custom/bespoke home. Where are you getting £4k install costs by a home builder? Sure maybe for an ASHP but the issue with GSHP is the land space you get with most new builds is small so you have drilling and boring costs (since theres not enough space for trenching), plus the management of that project pipeline to do. This is the reality for most new builds, we're not talking about one off new builds in large plots etc as they are far from the norm to the majority.
The £4k install cost is the above install cost of the ASHP and that is the figure we have just used on a contract for 350 home development. The developer has gone for that because for them they see it as a USP that adds value compared to that off the ASHP. The setup cost to get on site is shared between plots so the more plots you have the reletative per plot as drops similar to piling foundations where you have a setup cost and so if an extra say 10 plots need piling due to tree influence compared to the initial 40 assumed or whatever that cost isn't too bad and sub-divided can be accounted for.

The project planning for the pipeline we are finding is starting to be looked at planning stages and we are currently working with two larger housing developements that are aiming to be BIM co-ordinated for first pass with basically full foundation and structural design prior to even submitting to planning with hopes they are going to be able to expedite at later date (we don't generally agree it will work out that way but that is their aim on a few trial projects) andt these are larger multi block 800+ appartment site and mixed usage with solar and battery also being looked into.

All mixed use we have done design for last 12 months has got full solar on roof from framed sheds to appartments to carparks. I do also feel that house builders do need to consider their responsibility. It is the same issue they have for litereally paying customers off to get better NHBC ratings when you do the surveys by offering say free skip usage when you move in and want to landscape garden or dropping a load of bricks off to build a concervatory dwarf wall or BBQ area etc. They would rather that than build things to an acceptable level.

About to fit a Diesel heater inside a plastic wheeled toolbox outside feeding the heat outlet & 12V into the conservatory through a disused catflap.

Will run off red diesel from my local boat yard and should take the winter chill off of things as replacing the poly carb roof for something better insulated is a £5k plus job :eek:.

About to fit a Diesel heater inside a plastic wheeled toolbox outside feeding the heat outlet & 12V into the conservatory through a disused catflap.

Will run off red diesel from my local boat yard and should take the winter chill off of things as replacing the poly carb roof for something better insulated is a £5k plus job :eek:.
lol hope ure neighbours don't mind

Looking like cold for the foreseeable future geeky weather forum

This week is gonna be scary as hell on the gas bill
We hit around 8 pounds in gas yesterday and around the same in leccy:(

However there are 3 of us who share the bill and there are always two of us at home in a detached house so i don't think the actual energy use is too terrible (given the "average" is for something like a 2 bed terrace with no one in for 8+ hours a day).
We did however do a towel wash and jacket potatoes which always adds around 4-6 units.

Oh yeah, especially with the news on VAT. Have you heard about that? If you run a business, VAT will add an extra 20% to the cost of your energy bills. Not an ideal situation, especially at a time when energy prices are hitting record highs. However, there are certain circumstances in which your business might be eligible for a reduced rate of 5% VAT. But this discount isn't automatically given, so you'll need to apply to your business energy supplier if you qualify. One more problem added to my business, thanks to all this politics, Russia, and so on. At least I don't have to bother about cmr forms documents anymore, because I always have a filled-in template on supercmr which is so easy to use.

Last edited:
its been really cold in my home office today, 2 hot water bottles and a blanket but my hands are like blocks of ice. this time last year i was mining etherium. that 500w heater running 24/7 was perfect for taking the chill off and made me money too...... shame its not an option this year, i may have to dig out the electric heater if it gets much colder outside (3 degrees today).

my home office is not attached to the house and does not retain heat like the house does. its also not on the central heating system.

Octopus session 3 seems to be in

Hacked mine, got 3224 points from combo of house battery reducing to zero and a sneaky bit of battery charging in the 3 hour pre session window.
I slightly overcooked the charge so added around 2kwh of battery I didn't need.
Following day I did similar so interested in saving session day 4 data where I didnt overcharge

A friend is a plumber so is in and of peoples houses all the time. He's saying he's visiting far more houses that are ice-cold due to people choosing not to turn the heating on at all.

I think we'll see a surge in premature mortality for the elderly and vulnerable, and increasing amounts of mold/condensation damage to properties.

A friend is a plumber so is in and of peoples houses all the time. He's saying he's visiting far more houses that are ice-cold due to people choosing not to turn the heating on at all.

I think we'll see a surge in premature mortality for the elderly and vulnerable, and increasing amounts of mold/condensation damage to properties.

Condensation / mold is only really a problem for houses that cycle between hot and cold.

If it's persistently cold, mold is less likely to be an issue. I don't disagree about your premature mortality comments though :( Although at least the elderly have received winter fuel payments and additional CoL payments recently.

Back
Top Bottom