Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Jesus. Mind if I ask what kind of house you're in? Our IHD was showing about £2.80 as I left this morning and that included electricity for a bit of car charging, running a 1kW electric radiator for four hours, and gas for heating which had been on for an hour aiming for 19C and my partner had a quick shower.

It's a 3 bedroom detached about average size at 1000sqft. The problem is the house is terrible for retaining heat. It Seems to lose 1 degree per hour if you turn the heating off. Im waiting for the grants so we can get cavity wall insulation.

It's a 3 bedroom detached about average size at 1000sqft. The problem is the house is terrible for retaining heat. It Seems to lose 1 degree per hour if you turn the heating off. Im waiting for the grants so we can get cavity wall insulation.
Yea if you're lacking cavity wall insulation that would explain the loss! We're a 3-bed detached too, roughly the same size, but it's a new-ish build so plenty of insulation (timber frame construction though, not cavity wall). We're losing about 2-3C during the day, that's between heating times at 0730 to 1600.

I would get someone in to look at that because there must be an issue there. We have an old house with solid walls and even our house doesn't lose that much heat or cost that much to keep at a very similar temp to yours. Yesterday when it had been around or below freezing overnight we had used about £1.30 by 8am.

To the people with their homes at 22+, how are you not in your boxers. I guess its all relative but we sit comfortably in our living room in the evening at 19 and my office occasionally goes to 20 throughout the day but thats starting to get a little warm. Bloody lizard people. :p

I would get someone in to look at that because there must be an issue there. We have an old house with solid walls and even our house doesn't lose that much heat or cost that much to keep at a very similar temp to yours. Yesterday when it had been around or below freezing overnight we had used about £1.30 by 8am.

To the people with their homes at 22+, how are you not in your boxers. I guess its all relative but we sit comfortably in our living room in the evening at 19 and my office occasionally goes to 20 throughout the day but thats starting to get a little warm. Bloody lizard people. :p
I was in the office yesterday and the temp was set to 26... I haven't got a clue how people can work when it's that warm, it just puts me to sleep. I ended up booking a meeting room just to sit there for the afternoon and not be sweltering!

• Haha
Reactions: fez
Jesus. Mind if I ask what kind of house you're in? Our IHD was showing about £2.80 as I left this morning and that included electricity for a bit of car charging, running a 1kW electric radiator for four hours, and gas for heating which had been on for an hour aiming for 19C and my partner had a quick shower.
A standard 24kWh combi boiler is around £2.47 an hour compared to when all this kicked off at around £0.84 an hour. So yeah that is only like 73mins of Gas being on. That gas only, add on around 70watt load from the electric when the gas boiler switches on and you have a tiny bit cost there too.

I assume your IHD is a mixed version. I only have electric smart this end. But the costs above are why heating is staying off here.
Yea if you're lacking cavity wall insulation that would explain the loss! We're a 3-bed detached too, roughly the same size, but it's a new-ish build so plenty of insulation (timber frame construction though, not cavity wall). We're losing about 2-3C during the day, that's between heating times at 0730 to 1600.
My new build from 2015 is a small 2 bed semi detached and still looses 1 degree of heat an hour approx. I wish it was only 2-3c lost because I would try and get the heating to keep house at 18c at least but instead I have to try and get from 10c to 18c and then maintain it which would mean about 9-10hrs a day heating meaning £20-22 a day for gas!!

22c is a lovely ambient temperature! If it's 22c outside I'm in my happy zone!

Our house also doesn't hold heat well.
So far in the 6 days of December we have spent £35 heating the house to about 16c.
  • During week days our heating runs for 1 hour in the morning (6:45am to 7:45am) and for 6 hours in the evening (3pm to 9pm)
  • At weekend the heating is holding 16c all day.

Already now, upstairs is down to 14c.

Last edited:
Really glad (sounds bizarre) that is not just us. Reading this thread you'd think you were doing something crazy wrong. But ours also drops quickly. Annoying when you see others have only just turned it on and ours is active a lot.

I pop back here every now and again to see how it's going generally with people and I'm astounded to see how much people are struggling to heat their houses.

This country and energy crisis is just crazy and shocking. I never thought I'd see the day where seemingly most are struggling to heat their houses to stay above 16 degrees. It's about to get a lot colder too!

I pop back here every now and again to see how it's going generally with people and I'm astounded to see how much people are struggling to heat their houses.

This country and energy crisis is just crazy and shocking. I never thought I'd see the day where seemingly most are struggling to heat their houses to stay above 16 degrees. It's about to get a lot colder too!
been saying it for ages, our country is like balkans bad.. state of our roads matched some remote area of russia or something...

you guys blame the gas prices instead of yourselves ? you buy a house and do nothing to it ? i really can't work it out .. all you get is moaning .. i've got 2 1/2 ft of roof insulation walls were cavity filled ..installed wood burners .. new windows where needed ..new back door ??
and i'm on a 27k salary .. did you think prices would stay the same ? i bought the house nearly 3 yrs ago .. ??

I'm sat next to a woman at work who said she's been leaving the gas central heating on all day at 18 degrees because she likes to be warm when she gets home and is under the misapprehension that it costs more to run a boiler from a cold start at 6pm. She doesn't have a smart meter.

I asked her if she was honestly sat at work whilst heating her empty house and told her she's in for a right shock when her bill arrives!

I'm sat next to a woman at work who said she's been leaving the gas central heating on all day at 18 degrees because she likes to be warm when she gets home and is under the misapprehension that it costs more to run a boiler from a cold start at 6pm. She doesn't have a smart meter.

I asked her if she was honestly sat at work whilst heating her empty house and told her she's in for a right shock when her bill arrives!
strange ?? it's what i do .. my bill once the gov money was taken off was £55 for gas and elecy ...last month .

you guys blame the gas prices instead of yourselves ? you buy a house and do nothing to it ? i really can't work it out .. all you get is moaning .. i've got 2 1/2 ft of roof insulation walls were cavity filled ..installed wood burners .. new windows where needed ..new back door ??
and i'm on a 27k salary .. did you think prices would stay the same ? i bought the house nearly 3 yrs ago .. ??

I'm not moaning - just reporting our situation.

If the house is well insulated then 18 can be maintained without insane costs.

There is some argument to say that keeping a consistent temp means you don't have to spend extra time/cost heating the fabric of the house from very cold back to 18 again, so it really depends.

If the house is a leaky sieve though, then good luck with that as it will just leak the heat back out :P

I could set my Hive stats to manual 18 and see how much time it spent ticking on/off in the day, it wouldn't be on constantly.

strange ?? it's what i do .. my bill once the gov money was taken off was £55 for gas and elecy ...last month .

Energy heating cost varies massively depending on your house.
If you have large 4 bed detached house it's costing more than a mid terrace to heat up.

Our first house was a mid terrace and we barely needed to use any heating.

Last edited:

All those improvements still cost money.

£2-300 for insulation (assuming you do it yourself, 2-3x that if you get someone in to do it for you)
Log burner + installation = ~£1.5-2k
New double glazed windows + fitting for a small 2 up 2 down terrace = ~£3-4k+
New door + fitting = ~£1k+

So you're looking at almost £6k bare minimum for the improvements you've suggested, not everyone has that kind of money available (or the option of doing those improvements as they in rented property), and while they are obviously worth doing, it's a similar argument to spending £30k on a more efficient new car to save £30/month on petrol.

Back
Top Bottom