Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Asked for b&q vouchers for Christmas from my mum to buy insulation for the loft. May have to ask her to send them for this weekend! Going to ikea this weekend to buy some curtains and poles to put over the front door and the uncovered hallway window.

House was 8c at 8 this morning. Brrr!

I live in a 1920s semi with solid walls, so no option to add cavity wall insulation. My bedroom/en-suite is freezing as it’s on the external wall and only have a small radiator.

My biggest concern is the amount of condensation on the windows and the windowsill. I’ve got a few dehumidifier things sitting on them but worried it’ll cause issue. Already getting a touch of mould on the silicone.

You want to keep an eye on that mould. I have our house set to 14 degrees and the bedroom is at 15 at the moment I think (overnight). I can fully recommend getting a karcher window vac or something similar. Great for windows and the bathroom after a shower or bath.

We don't have any issue heating all our house, the issue is being willing to spend what it takes.

Indeed, we prefer the look of older houses and the high ceilings but I do think the next house will be a new(er) one due to insulation/solar panels.

Same here. I don't know how much it will inform our next house purchase but high ceilings and a nice exterior are important to us. We could insulate under the floors but that would again be expensive and require a lot of work and cost even if I did it myself.

Putting insulation in the loft is a no brainer though really. Only thing you then have to worry about is raising the floor if you also want storage.

You want to keep an eye on that mould. I have our house set to 14 degrees and the bedroom is at 15 at the moment I think (overnight). I can fully recommend getting a karcher window vac or something similar. Great for windows and the bathroom after a shower or bath.

We don't have any issue heating all our house, the issue is being willing to spend what it takes.

We have one of them Karcher window things, every morning there is a nice coating of wet around the edges of our windows.

Same here with heating, we have it come on in the morning for a few hours and then try to leave it off throughout the day, and then it comes on again around 5.30pm for 2-3hrs.
It still costs a lot, and as much as we can afford the increase currently, I still try to cut the costs as much as I can.

yeah i can .. do i feel for them no ..it's your home a little forward thinking is all it needed .. a little research it's only going to get colder ...
Its still a 2-3x increase in absolute money terms no matter what you do. My house is a solid wall construction but has a lot of loft insulation, recent double glazed windows and doors, modern efficient condensing boiler. Its only a 3 bed semi detached, not large. Yet a 3x increase in the gas price, even setting thermostat a couple of degrees lower and wearing extra jumpers, will still mean a bill going from circa £70 a month to nearer £200 a month. That is a huge increase to find.

So only £800 less than I said, and still ~£5k (and assumes your house is suitable for a log burner which many aren't). Like I said, it's worth doing, but the payoff certainly isn't going to happen in a year or 2 of savings, even with current prices.

I'd be interested in knowing what kind of decent quality door you got for £560 fitted, since a basic UPVC door is £4-500 without fitting
???£5k lol .. for windows and door and wood burner 3k .. thats some work myself .. :) oh and i'm up north cheaper by far

I would get someone in to look at that because there must be an issue there. We have an old house with solid walls and even our house doesn't lose that much heat or cost that much to keep at a very similar temp to yours. Yesterday when it had been around or below freezing overnight we had used about £1.30 by 8am.

To the people with their homes at 22+, how are you not in your boxers. I guess its all relative but we sit comfortably in our living room in the evening at 19 and my office occasionally goes to 20 throughout the day but thats starting to get a little warm. Bloody lizard people. :p

I guess it depends how you dress. I like to be in shorts and t-shirt around the house and then slap a pair of jeans on if I want to go out. I barely wear socks either so barefoot or flipflops.

Asked for b&q vouchers for Christmas from my mum to buy insulation for the loft. May have to ask her to send them for this weekend! Going to ikea this weekend to buy some curtains and poles to put over the front door and the uncovered hallway window.

House was 8c at 8 this morning. Brrr!

I live in a 1920s semi with solid walls, so no option to add cavity wall insulation. My bedroom/en-suite is freezing as it’s on the external wall and only have a small radiator.

My biggest concern is the amount of condensation on the windows and the windowsill. I’ve got a few dehumidifier things sitting on them but worried it’ll cause issue. Already getting a touch of mould on the silicone.

Indeed, we prefer the look of older houses and the high ceilings but I do think the next house will be a new(er) one due to insulation/solar panels.
for that type of house have insulation put on the outside ..with a wood or metal cover .. you could do most of it yourself and save a few ££££

You bought your hosue 3 years ago and in that time energy price have tripled or more. You understand even if people cut usage by 50% bills would still increase?
yep ?? i'm waiting for you to make a point ? put money into your house to cut cost ? and why would your bills increase ? the point i'm making ? also 3 yrs in a 10 yr fixed mortgage.. do people not look ahead ?

yep ?? i'm waiting for you to make a point ? put money into your house to cut cost ? and why would your bills increase ? the point i'm making ? also 3 yrs in a 10 yr fixed mortgage.. do people not look ahead ?
You cant fully mitigate the bill increase at reasonable outlay cost. Most people can't do much to improve their energy efficiency at all. Stop being a douche.

for that type of house have insulation put on the outside ..with a wood or metal cover .. you could do most of it yourself and save a few ££££
Wouldn’t even know where to start tbh, and I doubt the outlay will give me the savings. Unless I can just gaffer tape some insulation board onto my render, I think it’ll be out with my skill set and tool box!

You cant fully mitigate the bill increase at reasonable outlay cost. Most people can't do much to improve their energy efficiency at all. Stop being a douche.
You can make incremental savings, for most people we are talking small increases in thermal efficiency, nothing you do to your house will mitigate a tripling of energy costs, not even close. As for his mortgage comment, the people coming off fixes now are facing the problem of huge rate increases, imagine this guy in 7 years faces interest rates 4/5% higher than his fix, it wouldn't be his fault but the next douchebag will come along and say to him 'should have fixed 3 years ago mate why arent you looking ahead'..

Last edited:

3 years ago investing money into insulating your house would have been pretty pointless as energy was so cheap to recoup the money would have taken decades to break even.

You can make incremental savings, for most people we are talking small increases in thermal efficiency, nothing you do to your house will mitigate a tripling of energy bills, not even close. As for his mortgage comment, the people coming off fixes now are facing the problem of huge rate increases, imagine this guy in 7 years faces interest rates 4/5% higher than his fix, it wouldn't be his fault but the next douchebag will come along and say to him 'should have fixed 3 years ago mate why arent you looking ahead'..
sorry it will be paid off 2 months after the deal finishes and i'll be retiring ..but thx for your concern

3 years ago investing money into insulating your house would have been pretty pointless as energy was so cheap to recoup the money would have taken decades to break even.
yes your absolutely right ....but it was cheaper to do then, and looking at the whole interest thing you knew it wasn't going to stay that way .. and with the forethought the planet is actually getting cooler i hedged my bets .. sort of worked out ?

You can make incremental savings, for most people we are talking small increases in thermal efficiency, nothing you do to your house will mitigate a tripling of energy costs, not even close.
Yes exactly, a point Ive been making for months. Me personally energy has gone from circa £70 per month to circa £210 per month, a 3x increase which includes unit rates 3x-ing, standing charges 3x-ing. Im setting the stat to 16 degrees in the day, wearing 3 jumpers right now. Having to balance up what costs more, the fuel for a journey into the office or the energy to heat my house whilst Im here.

There is going to be a lot more pain coming to people on energy, it is a national disgrace.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom