Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

My biggest concern is the amount of condensation on the windows and the windowsill. I’ve got a few dehumidifier things sitting on them but worried it’ll cause issue. Already getting a touch of mould on the silicone.
colder air/ambient temp means the dew point with respect to Relative Humidity changes. ie condensation will form much easier at lower RH when air temp is lower.

electric dehumidifier are only efficient with certain air temp range, if the space is not heated, it wont be doing as good job and certainly becomes inefficient. you can get those moisture suching things in plastic containers, they work but proabbly not greatly helpful.

the best way to prevent lots of humidity build up and get rid of condensation is vent the space. appreciate it is a cold snap and freezing, but if you are not in the space ie a bedroom, open the windows for a morning or a few hours during the day and leave the door to the room shut to prevent heat loss. that will bring the humidity in the space down and get rid off your condensation.

now.. but over the next 30 it will get really cold .. glad this winter will be short tho .. feb/march will warm up ...@Kenai free wood ... no cost ..
The only way the planet is going to get cooler over the next 30 years is if we utterly fail at getting global warming under control and we take the last throw of the dice option and go for Stratosphere aerosol injection.
IF we do that we truly have failed...................... whilst i dont expect Snow piercer levels of side effects i have no doubt if we play that last chance card some countries will have serious issues.

but in all likely hood things are going to get a lot warmer before they get cooler.

you are not wrong that everything else being equal you would expect the temps to drop slightly............... but our greenhouse gas production - even if we get it under control - will outwiegh any natural cooling

Last edited:
The only way the planet is going to get cooler over the next 30 years is if we utterly fail at getting global warming under control and we take the last throw of the dice option and go for Stratosphere aerosol injection.
IF we do that we truly have failed...................... whilst i dont expect Snow piercer levels of side effects i have no doubt if we play that last chance card some countries will have serious issues.

but in all likely hood things are going to get a lot warmer before they get cooler.

you are not wrong that everything else being equal you would expect the temps to drop slightly............... but our greenhouse gas production - even if we get it under control - will outwiegh any natural cooling
ohh why do the young believe everything the .gov tells them .... the planet is the coolest it's been in over 5k yrs and the Stratosphere aerosol injection you talk about is happening now ... volcano's. which are erupting at a faster pace .. never mind the loss of our magnetic field due to the poles moving ..
c02 is not a greenhouse gas.. you know what ..never mind believe the models ..don't look and think for yourself ..

yes your absolutely right ....but it was cheaper to do then, and looking at the whole interest thing you knew it wasn't going to stay that way .. and with the forethought the planet is actually getting cooler i hedged my bets .. sort of worked out ?

I wouldn't know I bought a house that had it all already done 12 years ago. Also what interest thing? Rising energy bills have nothing to do with interest rates.

Last edited:
ohh why do the young believe everything the .gov tells them .... the planet is the coolest it's been in over 5k yrs and the Stratosphere aerosol injection you talk about is happening now ... volcano's. which are erupting at a faster pace .. never mind the loss of our magnetic field due to the poles moving ..
c02 is not a greenhouse gas.. you know what ..never mind believe the models ..don't look and think for yourself ..
wow patronising much? You do not know me or my skills set!.......... and yes volcanos are doing this now... which is probably (at a guess) where the idea came from.

I believe very little about what the government tells me. I do do my own research. i suggest you do the same (and not from bonkers facebook groups or fossil fuel sponsored FUD merchants and certainly not who ever told you CO2 is not a greenhouse gas)

Last edited:
Its never ever going to be cheaper to maintain a house at a temperature than let it fall and reheat it again later unless its practically lossless and you have a system thats grossly inefficient when heating hard as opposed to low
Depends on the house and heat source.
Heat pumps are up 500% efficient running low and slow (on all day) compared to on/off at higher temps where they are only 100 to 200% efficient.

Last edited:
Didn't we have the hottest day on record last year?

Planet getting colder of course.
Yes, energy storage is a massive factor here. Why can't we harness the free energy that falls on our planet during the summer and use it back in the winter? Why can't we put solar panels up across millions of acres of desert and lay cables to transfer the energy to colder areas? Lack of foresight.

Heat pumps are up 500% efficient running low and slow (on all day) compared to on/off at higher temps where they are ~100 to 200%.
Most people will need close to 100% grants to be able to afford them.

But also have to question why they are so expensive. A boiler has lots of safety sensitive parts, valves, combustion chambers, flues...

A heat pump is a fridge compressor in a box.

Why does it cost so much?

Why does it cost so much?
it is a good question and one i have wondered myself. I always assumed it was economies of scale and they would come down.... but apparently this isnt the case even in countries where they are used quite a lot. (you would have thought if it was economy of scale it would have had an effect there)

Yes, energy storage is a massive factor here. Why can't we harness the free energy that falls on our planet during the summer and use it back in the winter? Why can't we put solar panels up across millions of acres of desert and lay cables to transfer the energy to colder areas? Lack of foresight.

Energy is hard to store in sufficient quantities, even for short periods, summer storage for use in winter, not likely with any tech we have now.

Problem with panels on desert etc is how far away they are. There are issues with very long distance energy transfers. PLus of course many deserts are in the hands of regimes we wouldnt be wanting to hand our energy security to.

Are you doing your bit with panels on your new house.

Bonkers. Brexit levels of bonkers.

Colonising Africa again to harness the sun? It comes with big drawbacks not least the terrorism threat and handing over our energy security to questionable regimes.

No heating on in my bedroom, no quilt, but had to go with 2 throws last night, woke up pretty warm in the morning and I had taken my socks off, no idea when.

I do work outside all year and I like a cool room at night so not really feeling it.

Heating not been on longer than an hour a day so far, bar Sunday as I had a mate round watching football and he was sat in his coat and hat so thought I better not let him suffer.

Back
Top Bottom