Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

it is a good question and one i have wondered myself. I always assumed it was economies of scale and they would come down.... but apparently this isnt the case even in countries where they are used quite a lot. (you would have thought if it was economy of scale it would have had an effect there)
How much is a unit on its own though? I think a lot of the total (I.e., installation) cost comes from the fact a lot of houses need larger radiators, re-piping, if the house is in any way modern it probably has a combi setup so will need a complete re-plumb to add (back) in a hot water tank...

Are you doing your bit with panels on your new house.
I cant afford the outlay.

You may have seen my previous car engine failed - there is £3k down the drain plus £4k on a new (used) one. Straight on a credit card as after buying my new house I don't have any cash left.

Energy bills biting. Food, fuel biting.

Where's the money coming from?

(that isn't a specific question about my personal circumstances, it will be the same for lots of people).

Colonising Africa again to harness the sun? It comes with big drawbacks not least the terrorism threat and handing over our energy security to questionable regimes.
Probably considered too 'out there' for this thread but it makes me question our entire way of life. Why are we here in this cold wet country when there are nice warm countries we could have populated all those thousands of years ago. Why do we still persist on investing in our infrastructure here instead of facilitating a long term transfer of ourselves to a new place? Like Hunger Games, England should be a farming resource to supply food to where we actually live (somewhere warm to minimise energy use).

I cant afford the outlay.

You may have seen my previous car engine failed - there is £3k down the drain plus £4k on a new (used) one. Straight on a credit card as after buying my new house I don't have any cash left.

Energy bills biting. Food, fuel biting.

Where's the money coming from?

(that isn't a specific question about my personal circumstances, it will be the same for lots of people).

Borrow the money then ;)

Although it does depend on usage, right now its still only really beneficial for medium to high users, due to the quite high fixed element of install.

Hopefully some of the techs like coatings you can put on windows will make it to actual end product. That way even small lower usage houses would like be able to install some generation.

indeed prices have gone insane at the moment. I am the 1st to wax lyrical about solar and battery, I am completely sold on it BUT going into debt right now to do it may not be the best idea. prices will surely drop again in future and surely sooner rather than later (it annoys me that all new cars right now cant do this given CHAdeMO could support it ages ago) all electric cars will support proper vehicle to home possibly making an actual home battery some what of an extravagance.
(many cars support running components from it but really it needs to be done through the charger not running a 3pin plug extension cable from the car through your letterbox!)

I semi agree on pricing but there are two factors, materials pricing and installation/profit for installer

I don't see the pricing side dropping any time soon, demand is going up a lot gloabally

There are still sensible prices to be had just need to shop around.

My install should save me 15-20% of install costs in first year, by delaying a year I am looking to see prices drop by more than that else I am worse off.

I bit the bullet and turned up the 2 storage heaters in our all electric house in readiness for the cold snap, they run off an economy 7 circuit. The hallway heater is at 40% and the living room at 50%.

£6 electricity used overnight, so very unlikely that we'll stay within the £10 per day we've been achieving in the autumn.

It's 18.8c in here though, so I'll drop it slightly tonight to try and achieve 18c.

The family are starting to call me a smart meter nazi and are considering getting me an arm band made, but it's wasting electricity that I'm concerned with, not using what we need.

Yes, energy storage is a massive factor here. Why can't we harness the free energy that falls on our planet during the summer and use it back in the winter? Why can't we put solar panels up across millions of acres of desert and lay cables to transfer the energy to colder areas? Lack of foresight.
Actually it does seem to be a thing that could happen, at least with Morocco and the UK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xlinks_Morocco-UK_Power_Project

Last edited:
china(Uighurs?) are a big source of PV panels so with the economic/political climate I don't see prices dropping

Why are we here in this cold wet country when there are nice warm countries we could have populated all those thousands of years ago.
playing the long game - global warming considered , or, maybe ancestors exhibited higher levels of evolutionary IQ due to challenges UK climate presents

Borrow the money then ;)
I don't have a money printer like the Government does...

No, look, I cant afford to add to monthly budget with a loan repayment, especially with everything else going up. Like I said, the money isn't there, borrowed or not.

I could have afforded it before I bought a house, but my old house was rented...

Fixed amount of my money, too much demand for it.

Last edited:
I don't have a money printer like the Government does...

No, look, I cant afford to add to monthly budget with a loan repayment, especially with everything else going up. Like I said, the money isn't there, borrowed or not.

I could have afforded it before I bought a house, but my old house was rented...

Fixed amount of my money, too much demand for it.

But surely the point is to save you costs. If you can save £100 a month at a cost of £75 wouldn't that make sense?

But surely the point is to save you costs. If you can save £100 a month at a cost of £75 wouldn't that make sense?
It would, but if the capital isn't there, and borrowing can't be budgeted for, what can you do?

This is why richer people can benefit more from opportunities than people with no cash - money makes money.

Edit - ah were you assuming an immediate saving of £100 on monthly energy bills thus offsetting the loan repayment? IN which case fair enough, I didn't clock this.

Im not sure the savings would be that high, my usage is mostly gas for heating so would have to weigh up the options. I don't know if solar could do it on its own.

Last edited:
But for the most part you aren't saving £100 a month to pay out £75 a month, not even close. You are only breaking even on installs after 12yrs+ and that is without a loan and interest rates. You are assuming either very low/0% interest but most people on perosnal loans will be averaging a further 10-15% interest rate to borrow such monies so now you are waiting to break even for possibly 20yrs+ then. That is then assuming you even get approved for such large borrowing which a lot of people on lower income wont even be able to borrow.

the best way to prevent lots of humidity build up and get rid of condensation is vent the space. appreciate it is a cold snap and freezing, but if you are not in the space ie a bedroom, open the windows for a morning or a few hours during the day and leave the door to the room shut to prevent heat loss. that will bring the humidity in the space down and get rid off your condensation.

I opened all the windows in the three unused rooms (master bedroom, bathroom and her office (unused today) upstairs at lunch time. Doors shut, everything good. I just opened my office door to go get a coffee and all three doors were wide open whilst the windows still open. Heating going like the clappers.
:mad::o:mad::o
WOMEN ARGH!!!!

Last edited:
An online solar calculator says I could generate circa 3500 kWh per year for an install cost of £6k. £6k is £115 per month repayment over five years.

I use about 2000 kWh of electricity per year, at 33p that is £55 per month. So even if all my usage was offset, it wouldn't cover the loan repayment.

That doesn't include batteries. Adding batteries would add much more to the install cost, and without an EV you can't get on the only beneficial tariff that I would need to get good nighttime top up rates (Octopus Go).

Adding batteries is no good unless I reconfigure the house to use electric heating/electric hot water, without doing that I can't offset any gas use. So there is more cost there.

Seems the only way to offset a good proportion of gas use is to use a heat pump. Install for one of those systems is £10-15k, possibly with a £5k grant. I don't know how much gas use it would offset, and whether it would work well enough in an older solid walled house with poor insulating properties. But lets say it offsets half my gas use, so 5,000 kWh a year. That is £500 at 10p per unit or about £50 per month. A £10k loan over 5 years is £200 per month.

Back
Top Bottom