Energy Suppliers

Associate
So, it's that time where I need to move suppliers. The way I see it is, I get gas and electric and it's provided along the same lines but somehow other companies charge for it but the service should all be the same as not sure when I really need to deal with the 'company' I pay.

However apparently there are good and bad energy suppliers, so who are your good and bad for gas/electric and why?

*** mod edit, referrals are fine (for now) but you should not promote or offer your referral unless requested and if requested should only be sent directly via trust, referral links (or references to) will be removed.

If you have sent someone a referral, please post in the thread. ***

Soldato
Ovo.

Best customer satisfaction ratings and so far my experience has been very good. Also they're 33% "green energy" by default and for a few £ extra per month you can go 100% green. Been great so far.

If you overpay them then all credit money get 4% interest on it i think.

Soldato
Just ran a quote for ovo. I currently pay 63 a month for gas and 43 for electric. They quote me 64 for combined per month!

Prob time for a change as im on standard tarrifs.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
GB Energy have been by far the cheapest for me. I switched back in September and am paying £69 a month for gas and elec combined although I am now £179 in credit which I will get back in the summer. Billing is monthly based on the meter readings you submit and I have had two price cut's in the short time I have been with them. I have had a couple of times where the website wouldn't accept my gas reading but a call to their freephone helpline is quickly answered and the problems sorted.

I pay:-

Elec 9.550p per kwh, 22.35p per day standing charge
Gas 2.8000p per day, 7.00p per day standing charge

Caporegime
OVO here too, it's great but when you get a smart meter it takes you to a whole new level.

How was your installation with them / the coompany they used?

SSE keep sending us letters about their smart meters but I'm concered over the lack of standards with them, so when it comes to switching having losing functionality or getting another reinstalled etc.

Soldato
anybody want to refer me to ovo? I just need your name I think?

Screenshot%202016-01-12%2016.31.05.png

Associate
GB Energy have been by far the cheapest for me. I switched back in September and am paying £69 a month for gas and elec combined although I am now £179 in credit which I will get back in the summer. Billing is monthly based on the meter readings you submit and I have had two price cut's in the short time I have been with them. I have had a couple of times where the website wouldn't accept my gas reading but a call to their freephone helpline is quickly answered and the problems sorted.

I pay:-

Elec 9.550p per kwh, 22.35p per day standing charge
Gas 2.8000p per day, 7.00p per day standing charge

Yesterday, I got the ball rolling on a switch to GB Energy as they were the cheapest acccording to MSE's Cheap Energy Club.

There were a few worrying posts on MSE's forum, but that's to be expected with any supplier. I'm hoping it's not a common theme and can post my experiences later...

Last edited:
Soldato
actually, I've signed up to GB Energy.

gas.PNG

Best option for me, especially as my electric usage is fairly high. Running a PC 8 hours a day at home for work, plus maybe a few hours extra 4 out of 7 nights too, which has 2 x GTX 980s and heavily overclocked GPU's and CPU, so it works out cheapest for me to go with GB energy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom