1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Energy Suppliers (strictly no referrals)

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by craig_t, 12 Jan 2016.

1. the shadow

Soldato

Green is gone :(

2. b0rn2sk8

Sgarrista

It will be interesting to see if my switch goes though then, going onto the SVR will not be the end of the world at the moment though.

3. jpaul

Capodecina

pretty much what the bulb variable rate is

if, like e-on, their cheapest fxied contracts all demand a smart meter , you leave customers with no choice, that's preferential pricing to compel customers.
    more expensive non-smart contracts, provide addtional profit margin that can subsidise both the meter(via profits) and the smart contract prices
    not convinced the code you described is guaranteed to be satisfied.
    whats the percentage of households with a smart metercovid vaccination now

still aren't any economic < £50 solutions here afaik -
    you can home brew something with a Rpi/Ucontroller with a battery pack and wireless.
    Pulse count is the only way you can log accurate data from different days to really see what, using the cooker/washing-machine/espresso-machine is adding to the demand when you are using them

4. jpaul

Capodecina

yes - I listened to his rhetoric and wondered what his contribution to the downing street bill is.

5. Semple

Sgarrista

I've just built one for about £5 in parts - yet to test, but copying someone else's design and that's been confirmed to work.

A battery pack isn't feasible either. As the microcontroller will need to be on 24/7 (otherwise no point capturing the data) it'll drink a decent amount of battery each day. You might get away with a few days on a big pack, but would be annoying having to keep recharging every few days.

6. Semple

Sgarrista

BBC are reporting that Green have now folded.

7. PiKe

Caporegime

Just dont renew, you'll roll onto the SVR one.

8. woppy101

Soldato

Avro have gone under as well, shall I look for a company to switch to or wait until after I’m transferred to another provider

9. Azza

Caporegime

Avro and Green gone.

How very annoying.

10. darkgen

Mobster

Managed to switch to eon:next Online v7, fixed for 12 months, on Sunday with the following unit rates and standing charges. Judging by the comments and other tariffs on offer; looks like I've managed to get a good deal!
    ----- UR SC
    Elec 19.9 - 16.4
    Gas 3.9 - 19.2

11. HungryHippos

Capodecina

Well AVRO is dead, so no wonder they charged me after I left them, then didn't refund me my final balance :eek:

So now I'll have to chase up whoever the SOLR winds up being, I'm hoping it's EDF so at least it's just one company I have to speak to then :)

12. lookitsjonno

Mobster

The removal of these challenger brands is sure going to stifle competition in a winners market :(

13. friddela

Hitman

Going to be annoying when Igloo inevitably go bust and I'm put on a 'deemed' contract. Will this have to be under the energy price cap?

As others have said, no fixed deals at the moment! Ah well, should have gone with one of the big companies, never mind.

14. Uther

Capodecina

Avro gone pop too.

15. labcoattech

Wise Guy

Been with Bulb for over a year now, is it worth switching suppliers?

16. cheesyboy

Capodecina

The government will need to subsidise some of these. A responsible energy company will have hedged much of their expected energy needs in advance, but an extra few million customers being dispersed around the industry will force them to buy at outrageous rates whilst constrained by the price cap.

17. IvanDobskey

Sgarrista

Avro gone bust then, just after I switched to them :( unbelievable bad luck. Can I switch to someone else immediately?

I guess I lose the £82 they took as first payment too.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2021
  18. HungryHippos

Capodecina

I don't think you'll lose it, any credit has to be sent to the next supplier and that supplier will owe it to you.

They owe me money as well, so once I know where it's going, I can track it down and get it back I think :)

19. booyaka

Capodecina

You can do so if you wish.

I'm with Bulb and for now - I'll see what happens. Even getting moved to SOLR (supplier of last resort) - I'll then switch from there to wherever is most suitable.

I think trying to jump just now, with the market in turmoil, is a bad idea. Just my personal opinion mind you.

20. IvanDobskey

Sgarrista

Any idea if I can switch to someone else yet?