Energy Suppliers

Soldato
I expected it to be more expensive, but not possibly 3 or 4x more expensive. Yeh, of course they dont have to provide the same rate as its a different company.

Where do people stand legally who were with one of the companies that went under if they were in a 12 month / 24 month or more contract for X rates. Surely these compaines are in breach of breaking contracts signed or does it all go down the toilet when they fold?

I suppose theoretically you'd legally be entitled to sue for breach of contract, the problem is, the company have now gone bust so you've got no-one to sue. Essentially they all go down the toilet.

How are people supposed to suck up all these big price increases? Petrol/diesel is increasing again, food is increasing then there are the massive increases in energy cost. All these increases in everything apart from income. Guess how much my RAF disability pension and Veterans Agency War Pension went up this year? A whopping £1.53 a month on my RAF pension and nothing at all on my War Pension. My wife's pay increased by just over a fiver a week. It's ridiculous.

Rate of inflation is rapidly shooting up, so we're all getting poorer by the minute. I think a lot of people are going to find this winter a real challenge, and will have to make the difficult choices between heating or eating. It'll certainly be another ruined Christmas for lots.

Caporegime
The Shell Energy email was severely lacking in any details at all but their tariffs are very expensive. It's all very confusing. Was with Green, Green goes bust, get a welcome letter from Shell Energy effective from the 27th then a day later get a confirmation email from Sainsbury's that my switch will take place on the 7th. It's enough to confuse the hell out of anyone. In the meantime I suppose I am going to get hit with a double direct debit, one from Green/Shell and one from Sainsbury's also at the begining of the month. I see that gas has taken another big increase in price over the past couple of days as well.

How are people supposed to suck up all these big price increases? Petrol/diesel is increasing again, food is increasing then there are the massive increases in energy cost. All these increases in everything apart from income. Guess how much my RAF disability pension and Veterans Agency War Pension went up this year? A whopping £1.53 a month on my RAF pension and nothing at all on my War Pension. My wife's pay increased by just over a fiver a week. It's ridiculous.

It's going to be bad.
Of all the things to go up fuel (both car and home) is kind of hard to avoid.
One of my partners friends (min wage, renting) is terrified.
Between house price rises and rent rises, gas, elec, fuel she's having to sell stuff to keep afloat. Which is obviously unsustainable. She will. Like have to move to a cheaper area I guess. Going to be a more and more common story!

I have to say I think my tado setup is helping. It's first time it's been busy since install. I can clearly feel my office room is significantly warmer than rest of the house.

At present I'm thinking stick with my kind of expensive switch.
200 cashback should cover a month and a half free. And it's only a penny more on gas than the possible shell offer. If it is that offer. Still waiting!
Still can't figure out how they come to the cost per year. It's hard to find what this cost per year works out to in units!

Last edited:
Soldato
The Shell Energy email was severely lacking in any details at all but their tariffs are very expensive. It's all very confusing. Was with Green, Green goes bust, get a welcome letter from Shell Energy effective from the 27th then a day later get a confirmation email from Sainsbury's that my switch will take place on the 7th. It's enough to confuse the hell out of anyone. In the meantime I suppose I am going to get hit with a double direct debit, one from Green/Shell and one from Sainsbury's also at the begining of the month. I see that gas has taken another big increase in price over the past couple of days as well.

I had a very similar conversation with the wife this morning.

Government have kindly froze my pay and although NHS had been given a pay rise this equates to around £60 a month for my wife, this is pretty much being swallowed up by Avro going bust and changing our Gas supplier.

I dread to think what prices are going to be like next year but guaranteed the government wont give the NHS any more money or do a U turn on our wages.

Soldato
Tado turns it on when any room gets below its set value

See my study profile
Set to be 20c from 830am to 10pm during the week

Do you especially feel the cold? Or poor insulation?

The coldest my office has been today is 18.9C and that was at 8am this morning, tbh i didn't even notice that. It's currently at 19.9 - hasn't gone over 19.9 today.

If you're trying to constantly keep a room temperature above 20C until 10pm, that's going to be very expensive over the next few months.

Caporegime
Do you especially feel the cold? Or poor insulation?

The coldest my office has been today is 18.9C and that was at 8am this morning, tbh i didn't even notice that. It's currently at 19.9 - hasn't gone over 19.9 today.

If you're trying to constantly keep a room temperature above 20C until 10pm, that's going to be very expensive over the next few months.

isn't 20 about the norm? For 'comfort' ?

It's been about 13c and overcast here for days so temps have dropped. Heating only been on an hour today in total to keep that at 20c.

Caporegime
Nice having that level of control :) Surprised at how much cooler it must be wherever you are.

Yeah it's cold today. Probablem with this house is parts get really hot and other parts really cold. So the old thermo in entrance (north) would be saying "ooh it's cold whack that heating on" in the afternoon.
And I'd be baking in my south facing office!

Need another trv for spare room now too. Both me and gf work from home now. Which I feel means smart heating is even more useful

Last edited:
Soldato
Rule of thumb in my house, no heating until the first frost :p. If you're cold, put a jumper on and don't wear shorts!

This, well not quite the first proper frost but it needs to get consistently highs of 10c or so outside for it to be worth putting the heat on.

20c inside is almost shorts and t-shirt. 18c with jumpers and trousers is generally comfortable.

Soldato
Heating on?? I'm in shorts and tshirt in my guest room and its 23c at the moment with no heating on at all.

We had the bedroom window open all night last night as it was too warm. Leeds, not Africa

Back
Top Bottom