Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Serious question, do you have enough loft insulation?

I’ve got a thermometer and it’s reading 21.1 in the bedroom, the en suit window has been open all day and is still open now.

Not a chance we’d be putting the heating on at this time of the year.

Caporegime
Serious question, do you have enough loft insulation?

I’ve got a thermometer and it’s reading 21.1 in the bedroom, the en suit window has been open all day and is still open now.

Not a chance we’d be putting the heating on at this time of the year.
I have issues that have lead to having the wall insulation removed, this room doesn't have a loft, rest of the house is under a loft space and it does have insulation.

House isn't that old, built in 1996, just really rubbish choices made in the building of the house.

Associate
I have issues that have lead to having the wall insulation removed, this room doesn't have a loft, rest of the house is under a loft space and it does have insulation.

House isn't that old, built in 1996, just really rubbish choices made in the building of the house.

How hard was it to get the wall insulation removed and how was it done?

Caporegime
How hard was it to get the wall insulation removed and how was it done?
It wasn't cheap, they used scaffolding and they took a block out every foot or so, then pulled the wet insulation out, you could squeeze it and see the water just dripping out, they also put in cavity trays to encourage any water that did get in, to make its way out again as these were not present either.

Caporegime
Does anyone know the price cap breakdown? I cant find the kwh and SC that will be used cause the cap is based on typical as said above.

Im on EON Next until 29th(mega cheap,9p ea SC, 2.72p gas, 15.7p electric). Switched to Avro on 27th to go through on 29th. No email from Octopus yet though. Wonder if they switch will just be canned ? I did check octopus website and anything more than 7 days before avro went bust should have gone through (they took 60quid DD on 20th too)

Apparently this will go to Octopus flexible, where is this tarriff on there? Any idea of the unit/SC costs?(edit found it back in the thread, just odd it wasnt on their website anywhere)

Last edited:
Soldato
Tado turns it on when any room gets below its set value

See my study profile
Set to be 20c from 830am to 10pm during the week

zN1Hqig.jpg

20C seems a very high setting clear savings to be made there. ;)

My room temp right now is 20.1C and I have no top on very comfortable. Usually I dont put on heating until I am cold in a jumper, probably with room temps low double digits.

Soldato
Has anyone else had a monthly debit from Avro today?? Just seen £82 disappear to Avro!

I'm now owed £330 from shell who I left, and £164 from avro who are no more! This really extracts the urine :mad:

Last edited:
Associate
It wasn't cheap, they used scaffolding and they took a block out every foot or so, then pulled the wet insulation out, you could squeeze it and see the water just dripping out, they also put in cavity trays to encourage any water that did get in, to make its way out again as these were not present either.

Thanks for the info. I have some issues with my cavity wall insulation, but it is mostly around the skirting board level near the fireplace and patio doors - where I guess there is rubble in the cavity. Will have to work out how to sort it before I can decorate.

Soldato
The temperature does drop as you go north, central Scotland has been 5-6c overnight recently and Cairngorms had snow fall last week.

Our heating came on the last two mornings as the house dropped under 18c for the first time in months.

Soldato
It doesnt answer his question and only says

According to Octopus, its standard tariff is £10/yr cheaper than the price cap from 1 Oct, on average, while Shell Energy's standard tariff is priced at the max allowed under the cap.

The temperature does drop as you go north, central Scotland has been 5-6c overnight recently and Cairngorms had snow fall last week.

Our heating came on the last two mornings as the house dropped under 18c for the first time in months.

Apparently it's 8c in Leeds. No heating on in our flat and its 21.6c in my room. Perfect temp for shorts and tshirt.

We slept with the windows open again last night, room was cooler but fresher and just had a couple of throws. Its certainly not duvet time yet

edit. Maybe its because all rooms in our aparetment are south facing and whilst its cold now, its very sunny. 20 minutes the room im in is now 24c. It does have a desktop machine powered on and laptop since 08:20

Last edited:
Caporegime
20C seems a very high setting clear savings to be made there. ;)

My room temp right now is 20.1C and I have no top on very comfortable. Usually I dont put on heating until I am cold in a jumper, probably with room temps low double digits.

I've knocked my room down to 19.5 see how that goes! :D If it's not too cold I'll try 19!

Now in jumper and tracksuit bottoms! :D

Soldato
Ours is always on, when the temp goes below the target it comes on.

I frankly don't care if its Jan or June, if its below the temp we find comfortable then it will switch on.

Same here, i'd rather be comfy in shorts and t shirt with the heating on, that less comfy wrapped up in layers to save a few quid.

Our heating generally comes on in the morning to get it warm enough (it's 9C outside at the moment), then seems to stay off once we're up to temperature.

Soldato
Perfect weather (for me) is cold and sunny. I really like it when it's 0c and there's frost, but also clear blue skies and sun.

Reminds me of mountain weather sitting outside in a coat and sunnies with a pint (which im tempted by now thinking about it) :rolleyes:

Can also sleep at night when im not sweating my spuds off

Back
Top Bottom