1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Energy Suppliers (strictly no referrals)

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by craig_t, 12 Jan 2016.

1. The1nonly1

Wise Guy

I have fixed price with British Gas until end of November at £85 p/m. With the rise in prices I'm tempted to switch deals now while the prices are only slightly up. Is that the best thing to do with the uncertainty?

Quoted £122 renewal with British Gas (1 year fixed with exit fees),
    £110 with Octopus (2 year fixed, no exit fees),
    £110 with E.ON (2 year fixed, no exit fees),
    £116 with EDF (3 year fixed, £200 exit fee),
    £103 with Scottish Power (2 year fixed, no exit fees) Includes 12 month boiler insurance

These are just qouted prices based on previous year KWh, I still need to check the actual prices per KWh with each.

Are there any others I should check (or avoid at this time)? Not sure who the big providers are these days.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2021
  2. maddness

Soldato

what's a good ev tariff, Octo said they will be getting rid of the Octopus go tariff very soon

3. cheesefest

Wise Guy

I’m with Igloo for electricity only (no gas to my home). Does anyone have any idea of how long the process of OFGEM changing my supplier/tariff? Also how do they decide which one I will get? Is it one supplier/tariff (which I suspect is standard rate) or based on various factors such as geographical, type of property etc?

4. Slam62

Sgarrista

Can't answer your questions I'm afraid, as someone in the same boat, I'll just have to wait and see. I'm sure we'll be able to swap after a month anyway.

5. Troop

Wise Guy

Not sure on that, I started on the "GO" Tariff last Friday on a one year fixed rate of 5P 4 hour window 16.5p rest of the time....it's saving me a fortune.
    10.6 Kw used yesterday cost me 93.4p, 25p of that cost is the SC.

6. cheesefest

Wise Guy

MSE say you can go through the changing tariff process once you are switched to the supplier OFGEM give you.

7. Duke

Man of Honour

Indeed, you're not locked into that new supplier or anything.

8. Simon

Capodecina

you prob won’t find anything to switch to. The energy cap is lower than the wholesale cost

9. Dalandius

Gangster

Your new energy supplier Octopus Energy took it.

From the email I got from them:

10. GuruJockStrap

Sgarrista

I'm with Symbio and only found out when I tuned into the 10pm news.

No email or anything from them. Website has been updated.

No idea who will be taking over the supply but what with no gas and an air source heat pump, plus the fact theres nothing to switch to, I'm in for some impressive bills over winter.

11. Blackjack Davy

Soldato

Oof looks like I could be on a high tariff for quite a while this winter isn't looking good for energy prices or the cost of living

12. Zenduri

Soldato

Industry requirement as soon as you get a certain size customer base you are required to buy all energy well in advance, the smaller firms buy on day ahead hedging which is why you can enjoy cheap prices if day prices are cheap but larger suppliers tend to be more costly cos they have had to try and predict the cost a year in advance so the pricing is more cautious.

Downside to the day hedging the smaller guys do, is when day prices are high as hell like now..... they **** money away as they are making a loss on every unit, hence so many going to the wall atm.

13. GinG

Sgarrista

I've just moved over to Go this month. When are they thinking of stopping this?

It's only fixed for a year so hoping that there will be another option come renewal next year as it's saving us a fortune for car charging and running washing machines etc overnight!

14. 1pudding1

Wise Guy

Same with Symbio, elec only as have a ground source heat pump and was paying 12.6p/kWh. Looks like bills are about to just about double :(

15. GinG

Sgarrista

The government need to step in and sort something out in the longer term.

They are wanting/forcing us to move over to more environmentally friendly products such as the heat pumps and electric vehicles however the way prices are going it will become unaffordable.

Luckily I got in with Octopus Go at £0.1499 peak price, already they have increased that to £0.239 which would increase our electricity bill alone by over £900 per year if it stays like it is till next October.

How is this sustainable?!

16. 200sols

Sgarrista

Jeez no wonder these companies are going under. You've been paying well below market prices for a long time!

17. 413x

Capodecina

Government can't really do anything.
    That's the price of gas. And the price of being dependent on it from international travel sources

18. 200sols

Sgarrista

It isnt, if wholesales prices don't come down Octopus will go bust as well if they have too many customers who are losing them money.

19. 1pudding1

Wise Guy

Only been with them since March so not that long really. Battery storage is going to look a lot more viable soon as we have electric PV too, and a nighttime cheap rate such as EV rates will be a must.

20. MissChief

Capodecina

They’re a multinational company with other income sources, not just the UK. Reckon they can ride out this storm.