Energy Suppliers

Soldato
British Gas just increased my monthly DD from £67.50 to £112, despite the fact I am already in credit. I specifically set my DD to £67.50 when I took out the contract as I worked out how much energy I usually use based on the last couple of years and divided it by 12. This has worked out perfectly so far in terms of what I am paying and how much I am in credit by etc. Obviously now they don't let you reduce it back using the online service and its virtually impossible to speak to anyone at an energy firm at the moment.
Cancel your direct debit, then wait for them to contact you and agree to pay what you owe and nothing else.

Associate
Isn't the point that if the administrators didn't take the DD (which gets paid to the SOLR) your account will just fall into debt as you are still using energy and would not be paying anything towards it.

Continuing to take DD's make sense in the way this market is set up and if you think about it I'm not really sure why you would be narked. This is very different to almost anyone else going bust where you would immediately cancel or spend vouchers because of the SOLR process.

I understand what you've explained. I'm narked because of my individual situation of being £350 in credit due to Avro not lowering my monthly DD to the amount I requested several times over the past 6 or so months.

Soldato
I understand what you've explained. I'm narked because of my individual situation of being £350 in credit due to Avro not lowering my monthly DD to the amount I requested several times over the past 6 or so months.

Yeah that amount isn't really on. I'm absolutely fine about having one month credit on the account. But at £350 you're starting to look at 4/5 months that you could use energy without paying a penny.

Associate
/\/\/\ Thanks. I was overpaying on the direct debit for 6 months & another payment was taken yesterday. If OFGEM are good on their word that credit will go over to the new supplier & if they dont increase that payment, then I won't be too worried in the short term.
Everyone overpays during the summer months, it evens out during the winter. I’d guess the average person is probably £200 in credit at this moment in time if they’ve been with their supplier since the start of the year

Last edited:
Soldato
How much over did you try?

Gonna be a bit awkward when they read it and tell you that the reading is several hundred/thousand below what it is?

I have sent in the past an under meter reading and for the past 18 months its been estimated.

I was approx £300 below actual usage, and I sent another £200 over on top of that, so £500 above estimate, £200 above actual usage.

I now sent them the actual reading with a photo. So I can at least get that £300 before the rise.

Soldato
Just got an email from Octopus for my parents account that I manage. Their 12month Fixed tariff ends in November. Their suggested alternatives seem to be bloody 24month ones now at obviously a much higher monthly cost than the £100 they're paying.

Soldato
I've just got an email from the now defunct Igloo to submit a meter reading. I'm not staying at my place right now & Im not about to drive 85 miles to do that. They've overestimated the reading anyway (No surprise there) but at least things are now moving forward on that front.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
@BigBoy - perhaps one for you

Aye thanks.

EDF are currently training up 60 MP Gas engineers its not just a question of training though as the Licence the company needs is totally different. As a company we should see MP Gas being available for smart install by Xmas of this year.

Not sure of other companies as I believe EDF are the first to venture that way as the cost increase between Low and MP gas training and licencing is HUGE!

Brilliant thanks both, I'll speak with EDF in the new year and see where they're at with it.

Soldato
Unless I'm doing something wrong, went onto a few comparison sites, and they say being on EDF standard variable is the cheapest lol?
Due to the current wholesale price increases EDF has removed all products from comparison sites. And because of the price increase most standard variable tariffs will be cheaper than any possible deal you will get at the moment.

Soldato
British Gas just increased my monthly DD from £67.50 to £112, despite the fact I am already in credit. I specifically set my DD to £67.50 when I took out the contract as I worked out how much energy I usually use based on the last couple of years and divided it by 12. This has worked out perfectly so far in terms of what I am paying and how much I am in credit by etc. Obviously now they don't let you reduce it back using the online service and its virtually impossible to speak to anyone at an energy firm at the moment.

they did this to me for a third time even though I am £400 in credit and have arranged to move away to octopus.

the first time I told them where to go as I was already building up credit in winter as I set my dd to cover my needs perfectly. Then they changed it again and said they couldn’t lower it as I was looking like I would go into a negative credit. So I got annoyed then.

Then 2 days after I said I’m moving they raised it again, crazy..

I get keeping customers accounts in a little bit of credit but £400 is 25% of my annual bill just as I’m about to leave..

Man of Honour
British Gas are taking over my energy. They have a deal on at the moment for Homecare 4 where if you take it out for £192 you get 50 days of free energy usage. I'm paying around £4.30 a day at an estimate so it's paid for itself there plus I get a boiler service. Time to read the T&Cs.

Soldato
British Gas are taking over my energy. They have a deal on at the moment for Homecare 4 where if you take it out for £192 you get 50 days of free energy usage. I'm paying around £4.30 a day at an estimate so it's paid for itself there plus I get a boiler service. Time to read the T&Cs.
Hawaiian short party at ChrisD's for those 50 days. Bring your electric cars and BitCoin mining rigs! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom