Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Finally got the prices from British Gas, now pfp are no longer my provider. My night rate has gone from 10p to nearly 12p which isn't bad. However, the day rate has moved from 12p to nearly 25p! :( Woolly jumpers and no heating it is this winter! Hopefully it won't be a bad winter and in the spring I can look at getting central heating sorted.

Same here wooly jumpers are already out and worn. Eon looks like 21 or 22p not sure which applies they have two tariffs both with the same name which is odd.

All the large council buildings I visit have got their heating on full blast 24/7 now I wear shorts when I'm in there or I'm boiling and some of the staff are only there a few hours a day considering how much I'm paying for council tax it makes me fume. Think I might have to move in and squat.

Soldato
Lol you're chasing problems it seems and creating them for yourself :D If anyone is offering a cheap deal at the moment expect them to go bust
Totally this! Unless the tariff is SVR you are only cheating yourself, that is unless you are lucky to have locked in with one of the big 6 for a multi year deal.

Caporegime
Okie dokie - thanks

I’ll set a reminder to switch in April.

Just checked my latest bill from green and I was paying 14p/unit for electric and 2.5p/unit for gas :(

You'll probably not be able to switch to cheaper at that time. But worth checking.

Yeah it's a big price hike
Basically double price on gas and nearly same on elec

Caporegime
Did you use a local firm or national?

Looking into solar currently...assuming you went with a battery system to make it viable?
A company from Preston, didn't go battery as in my calculations it doesnt improve my ROI, if anything exporting with octopus outgoing agile will reduce my ROI as the unit rate averages a bit over 5.5p/kwh

Just need my SoLR to take over my supply so I can initiate a move to Octopus (they still offer SVR you just have to request it) then get smart meters installed and the outoging agile tariff applied by the spring

In winter, a home storage battery will never get fully charged and now with the go tariff only being for EV owners, you can't even charge it from that.

Soldato
A company from Preston, didn't go battery as in my calculations it doesnt improve my ROI, if anything exporting with octopus outgoing agile will reduce my ROI as the unit rate averages a bit over 5.5p/kwh

Just need my SoLR to take over my supply so I can initiate a move to Octopus (they still offer SVR you just have to request it) then get smart meters installed and the outoging agile tariff applied by the spring

In winter, a home storage battery will never get fully charged and now with the go tariff only being for EV owners, you can't even charge it from that.

UPS Solar? We're near Preston and was looking around at some options.

Soldato
with octo go here, had a lengthy chat with their ops team, they said to stay on this tariff and don't change as then it will be market capped till April next year

pretty much what Martin Lewis has been saying

I was interested in the go faster tariff they have but he said don't do it or the price will jump up

Soldato
saw someone post this online :eek:

Screenshot-20211014-054426-Facebook.jpg

Soldato
Yep its crazy. I'm planning on sitting it out for now and dropping onto variable with the hope of things settling. With the rumoured price rises again in April I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not to be honest.

*Yes they are the Ovo unit prices.

Similar to your situation, just gone from fixed to variable and all of the fixed deals I'm seeing are much more expensive.
Currently paying 3.86p for gas.

Soldato

All the information and advice I've been reading is that since the government stopped with their feed in payments just having solar takes a long time to pay back.

What sort of timeframe are you working on for your payback?

I've started to get prices of between £7-£10k with the majority of fluctuations being on how much battery storage I want and for us, as we are lucky enough to have an EV makes our payback time under 7 years with our usage and shifting when we use appliances etc.

The idea of storage is that throughout the day you will be storing the excess energy which will then be used during the evening in peak times when you will be using energy however your panels will not be generating.

£0.055 is a decent price for export but is still more than the amount you will be paying in the early mornings and evenings when the power generated is less.

I've also been looking into actually mining and using the energy this way even before exporting as on my Go tarriff I'd only get £0.03.

Just to note that Agile at the moment is mega money, not dropping much less than £0.35 per kWh so not sure what price per kw your figures have been worked out on...even if you look at a smallish battery I think it would be beneficial.

Out of interest what kw system have you gone for?

Back
Top Bottom