1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Energy Suppliers (strictly no referrals)

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by craig_t, 12 Jan 2016.

1. GinG

Sgarrista

All the information and advice I've been reading is that since the government stopped with their feed in payments just having solar takes a long time to pay back.

What sort of timeframe are you working on for your payback?

I've started to get prices of between £7-£10k with the majority of fluctuations being on how much battery storage I want and for us, as we are lucky enough to have an EV makes our payback time under 7 years with our usage and shifting when we use appliances etc.

The idea of storage is that throughout the day you will be storing the excess energy which will then be used during the evening in peak times when you will be using energy however your panels will not be generating.

£0.055 is a decent price for export but is still more than the amount you will be paying in the early mornings and evenings when the power generated is less.

I've also been looking into actually mining and using the energy this way even before exporting as on my Go tarriff I'd only get £0.03.

Just to note that Agile at the moment is mega money, not dropping much less than £0.35 per kWh so not sure what price per kw your figures have been worked out on...even if you look at a smallish battery I think it would be beneficial.

Out of interest what kw system have you gone for?

2. PiKe

Caporegime

13 years, based on using 60% of the generation in winter, and 36% of the generation in spring/summer months.

My calculations are based off a 5.5p export tariff, the system cost is £4795, the capacity is 4.235kwp (11*385w panels), 5 south facing, 6 west facing.

Payback should be reduced if wholesale prices stay high and I can get on Octopus outgoing agile, I can be on SVR for import as the only incompatible tariff for agile export is their GO one.

I simulated a 4.8kw battery and I still end up drawing from the grid even from a full charge by about 2am in the morning, it wouldn't therefore help first thing, is it would be empty for breakfast cuppa/toaster duties.

I've been looking into this since July and I've sent myself crazy with various calculations and costings.

My yearly cost saving based on 20p/kwh is £265.30

SEG @5.5p should come to about £100

3. 413x

Capodecina

That is a long pay back time!

4. PiKe

Caporegime

As long as it's less than the life of the panels (25 years) its all good.

5. Troop

Wise Guy

As you're on the West coast side like I am this might be some insight for you.(Mid Wales)
    3.5kw system over the last 7 years we generate on average 3500kw a year, just over 2500 in the summer (March21st-21September)
    and just on or under 1000Kw for the winter 6 months.

South to southwest facing with no shading.
    I'm 5 miles in from the coast so get better weather than 5 miles behind me in the mountains.

I'd guess you will generate 4000kw yearly if you're close to the cost, a fair bit less if in the hills.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2021
  6. PiKe

Caporegime

PVGIS estimates 3276kw yearly

7. DB_SamX

Sgarrista

Not really surprised tbh. Martin Lewis has been saying flexible is the best tariff strategy for the short to medium term.

8. Troop

Wise Guy

When I had ours installed I queried their calculations as I thought they were on the low side, they said the estimate on the low side or people complain that it's not producing what they promised.

Can't really remember but I think their calculations were 2900 for our 3500Kw setup.(Mid Wales)

Last edited: 14 Oct 2021
  9. Cadder

Wise Guy

Looks like I'm late to the show, only just now received a Pure Planet email informing me they are ceasing to trade.

Our tariff was ending soon anyway but this isn't great.

10. MissChief

Capodecina

Given the price cap most if not all suppliers variable rate would have been at or very close to the cap anyway. It’s all much of a muchness at the moment.

11. 413x

Capodecina

Yeah on variable it doesn't matter who you're with.

Price comparison websites are gonna be hit hard too.

12. 413x

Capodecina

I guess if you stuck that 5k in an index fund returning 5-10 percent (compounded too) it extends that further.

No wonder people are slow on the uptake of it!

13. Zenduri

Soldato

Another one has gone to the wall, Daligas with 9000 customers, 3rd this week and expecting more to come.

EDF has openly come out and said they arent prepared to take on any more SOLR customers from failed suppliers for now as its a proving a time consuming and a logisitcal challenge to take on so many customers from failed suppliers and they need to complete the migrations before that will take on anymore

14. MissChief

Capodecina

I'm sure if the price of gas was lower than their current tariffs they'd be looking to take on as many as they could. Same with the other providers.

15. Zenduri

Soldato

Maybe but i dont think you are considering the strain on the business taking on the customers from failed companies. Also EDF have bought gas 14 months in advance so they are fairly shielded from the current prices

16. cheesefest

Wise Guy

I’m a former Igloo customer and now on eon next. Not heard anything from eon next since intro email. Normal?

17. Zenduri

Soldato

They're just starting to put the first batch of migration accounts through testing today for ENSTROGA, Igloo Energy and Symbio Energy. It will take some time to move everyone over and as soon as the testing is confirmed as going through ok they will start batch moving accounts.

18. Avathar77

Mobster

Same here, i was just wondering today as my meter reading with Igloo usually falls on the 14th of each month.

19. Zenduri

Soldato

see my above comment :) Any questions just ask :)

20. Reppyboyo

Mobster

My supplier (Pure Planet) has now announced it is ceasing trading, will be interesting to see which supplier I get moved to next.