Energy Suppliers

Soldato
I highly doubt a local park has enough free wood to keep you going and if wood is stacked up it is for wildlife not for people to take.
Well you'd be wrong on both counts. So says the park rangers Facebook page that at least a couple of times a year tells everyone to help themselves to the tree logs in certain locations. They also do mushroom walks for you to go help yourselves to mushrooms.

Then you have the local Facebook group where people are always wanting rid of trees and pallets. As long as it's stored until less than 20% good to go.

Obviously I'd need to top up with purchased stuff and I'd still have the gas boiler. But it should help a lot.

Caporegime
So wood from the park isn't going to be dry, therefore

... burning damp wood or other wet fuel will create nuisance smoke and, irrespective of whether or not the stove is Defra Approved, you will be in breach of the Clean Air Act and risk prosecution if you cause excessive smoke which upsets your neighbours.

Soldato
So wood from the park isn't going to be dry, therefore
That's why you dry it, already got a shed full we use for camping. Takes about 12 months.
Moisture meter was like £20 tells you the percentage.
If I got a lot burner I'd just need a proper log store.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

£200 for 450kg without looking too hard for wood, how longs that going to last?
For the average 5-6kw stove, expect to use 10 to 15kg an evening, depending on how "roaring" you want it, so 30 days'ish.

If you burn all day, it's around 25kg a day, so 20 days.

Soldato
Not true at all it's both. The stoves are designed to run hotter and to recirculate the smoke through the fire to burn off even more particles.

https://stove-experience.co.uk/defra-approved-stoves-for-smoke-control-areas-smokeless-zones/
Nope, as rob20 correctly said, you do not need to burn smoke free fuel in smoke free stoves.

You shouldn't be burning wet fuel though.
I've never heard of a smoke free stove - I googled, I think you are talking about DEFRA stoves? Anyway, semantics - we agree you shouldn't burn wet wood and you could still be accused of causing a nuisance.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I've never heard of a smoke free stove - I googled, I think you are talking about DEFRA stoves? Anyway, semantics - we agree you shouldn't burn wet wood and you could still be accused of causing a nuisance.

The last sentence is the pertinent one:-

You must use a DEFRA Approved Stove to burn wood in a smoke control area

Sometimes also referred to as ‘DEFRA Exempt’ stoves, DEFRA stoves are appliances that have been tested to ensure they produce minimal levels of smoke. These are the only appliances from which you are allowed to burn wood in your home if you live in a smoke control zone. Luckily, there is a great selection of DEFRA stoves available on the market.

If you don’t have a DEFRA approved stove, you can burn other approved smokeless fuels, but not wood.

Soldato
For some reason, I have been given a refund of various amounts from Octopus for the last 3 months. My fixed term ended two weeks ago, decided to stay with them for the variable rate at the moment as it wasn't too bad.
I'm now over £200 in credit, which will do me over the winter for gas :) ..

Soldato
So 3 weeks after arguing with Bulb over their crap math on monthly payments they email me again to raise my monthly payments with crap math! Looking on Twitter it’s happening to a lot of people.

Saw one person £1000+ in credit (why?) and they wanted to increase their monthly payments.

Something is not right

Back
Top Bottom