Energy Suppliers

Soldato
I'm in a challenging spot.

I was due to complete switching from Green to Avro on the day they both went bust.

I have now had notice from Octopus that I'm with them as a former Avro customer, and also notice from Green that I've been transferred to Shell, along with my credit and have been paying for standing charges to Green to 1st December out of my credit.

What.the.actual.futon

Soldato
You’ll end up with Shell, eventually. Basically you’ll be with Avro until the day they went bust, Octopus until your green switch completed and with green until they went bust and then with shell from that point on.

If green went bust before the switch completed you’ll just be picked up by shell from the date the switch completed. I hope that made sense.

I hope you took some meter readings just in case!

Caporegime
I'm in a challenging spot.

I was due to complete switching from Green to Avro on the day they both went bust.

I have now had notice from Octopus that I'm with them as a former Avro customer, and also notice from Green that I've been transferred to Shell, along with my credit and have been paying for standing charges to Green to 1st December out of my credit.

What.the.actual.futon
You’ll end up with Shell, eventually. Basically you’ll be with Avro until the day they went bust, Octopus until your green switch completed and with green until they went bust and then with shell from that point on.

If green went bust before the switch completed you’ll just be picked up by shell from the date the switch completed. I hope that made sense.

I'd be taking daily readings TBH, and if your phone can time/date stamp them on the photo, that too.

Soldato

I'd be taking daily readings TBH, and if your phone can time/date stamp them on the photo, that too.

Lots of meter readings, thankfully!
I guess it comes down to when exactly they 'went bust' as the announcement was made for both Green and Avro at the same time, I doubt they truly did go under at exactly the same moment.

It also seems strange to me that Green were somehow still going until 1st December (they issued my final bill today to that date).

Last edited:
Soldato
I just recently moved in to a property that was looked after by Bulb. Filled in my details on their website and they've told me i'm moving out and I can't submit a meter reading to them. After two letters telling me to setup an account. How daft.

Soldato
Just one thing to note for folks from the last couple of pages.

If you are with a supplier and you change to another one, the new one will only offer fixed prices and terms and wont offer variable. If you move into the property, as long as you are remaining with the same supplier/ supplier licence then they cant force you onto a fixed tarrif. After the change of tenancy you will automatically go onto the variable rate.

Sinbad2000 got screwed because BG and BG Evolve are 2 different suppliers so its classed a change of supplier so only fixed prices were offered and he couldnt go onto variable. If he had been able to complete the change fo tenancy with the existing supplier when he moved in he should have gone onto the variable. Likewise if they advised him he needs to reigster on evolve rather than process the change of tenancy that 100% is a miss sell

Associate
The BBC are reporting today that every household in the country is going to be hit with an extra £85 in there bill because of the Govt. enforced collapse of Bulb.
There are people like me and millions of other that can afford the higher energy costs.... I'd rather not but hey ho. The whole reason for the price cap was to help those unable to afford it. SO how is the extra £85 on top of already high bills going to help them???

Soldato
The BBC are reporting today that every household in the country is going to be hit with an extra £85 in there bill because of the Govt. enforced collapse of Bulb.
There are people like me and millions of other that can afford the higher energy costs.... I'd rather not but hey ho. The whole reason for the price cap was to help those unable to afford it. SO how is the extra £85 on top of already high bills going to help them???

The story is a bit more complicated than that but ultimately what would you expect?

The taxpayer, eg you and I stepped in to bolster it and someone's got to pay.

There wasn't a zero cost option, the only way to get out of this with it becoming a genuine good thing for low income households is for bulb to be properly nationalised and a social tariff created. That still doesn't mean it would be "cheap" but a not for profit setup would be ideal.

Soldato
£85 is the least of your worries, they had a story on lunchtime news the other day saying the price cap will likely increase by £550 in April :(

We are entering a period of much higher energy costs and the poorest will be hit hard. Its insane that in 2021 people are still having to live in cold homes as they can't afford to heat them.

Associate
Just one thing to note for folks from the last couple of pages.

If you are with a supplier and you change to another one, the new one will only offer fixed prices and terms and wont offer variable. If you move into the property, as long as you are remaining with the same supplier/ supplier licence then they cant force you onto a fixed tarrif. After the change of tenancy you will automatically go onto the variable rate.

Sinbad2000 got screwed because BG and BG Evolve are 2 different suppliers so its classed a change of supplier so only fixed prices were offered and he couldnt go onto variable. If he had been able to complete the change fo tenancy with the existing supplier when he moved in he should have gone onto the variable. Likewise if they advised him he needs to reigster on evolve rather than process the change of tenancy that 100% is a miss sell
Here's a screengrab of the website that screwed me:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uJ83nYkiqNUmqmXf7

Soldato
This is what we are doing because the fixed is over £300pcm. I suspect though that once the cap lifts in April it's going to balloon anyway.

It will but will it go higher than the fixed you been offered and then stay that high for the duration of the fixed? Not to mention you have to account 4 months of that period you are paying much less on variable as cap wont change until April, so that also has to be taken into account so e.g. if its a 12 month deal, would the last 8 months be cheap enough to save you mroe than a fixed rate?

Simply put I would go variable.

Back
Top Bottom