Energy Suppliers

Caporegime
Are you guys planning to use your computer's and nice TV and surround sound systems less and less come April when the price of energy triples?

Don't think so. Summer isn't too bad. It's mainly heating suffer with. But I'm not living day after day in the cold.

Price I pay at the moment is higher than the cap.
I'm hoping come April I will be lower than the cap.

If it is 50 percent increase going to be over 6p a Unit for gas and 30 something pence for electricity? :O

Soldato
Perhaps you should prove a link :p
The energy price tripping in April would put the SVR at about 60p/kWh. :eek:
In reality we are looking at just under 30p/kWh.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/n...he-cheapest-deals-are-more-than-double-than-/
Its just headline news nonsense. The price increase is going to be quite massive though for people who are coming to the end of VERY cheap deals from 2 years ago. My parents are on 12p right now for electric so they are going to have a big jump. I have seen a few on as low as 10p while working in one of the big six at the start of year. Its going to be a big shock to some households specially to those who don't have much disposable income after bills (although everyone on here is rich :rolleyes:)

Caporegime
Yeah does look for some it could be 2x+ which is extreme. Especially if. You have chunky bills already.

Not going to be pretty for many next winter.

Just got my first bill. Currently paying 5p for gas and 21.2 for electric until 2024. If they take vat off would be no complaints from me! But I'm not sure they will as it helps rich most.

Soldato
VAT is a very small dent anyway. For most people paying £100 a month, that would save them £60 a year. - which isn't even the equivalent of a months usage.

Soldato
A big chunk of the bill is environmental levys (aka stealth taxes) which could be funded from central government though.

The issue is that they don’t want to fund those though because in reality most people can afford the increase and it doesn’t target the support to those who really need it.

The issue with increasing the warm homes discount payment/criteria (aka another stealth tax) is that people a) have to claim it and many will not be aware they are eligible, b) the bill for that is passed onto other consumers and not the government which will not be accepted by regular bill payers as it further increases costs.

Caporegime
VAT is a very small dent anyway. For most people paying £100 a month, that would save them £60 a year. - which isn't even the equivalent of a months usage.
Yep. I don't think it. Will get removed.
I'd bet on an increase for those on the one off payments. Which will effectively come from those not getting it. So bigger bill increases?

Soldato
I wonder how a dynamic pricing model would work, where the first X units each day are charged at a nominal rate (typical things like running fridge, having a shower, boiling a kettle), and then price increases for the next set of Y units, and then perhaps even an enhanced rate for Z units onwards.

I suspect it'd be very difficult to implement though, and in reality the government should be spending time and resources on securing a long-term energy plan. Because if we start to see yearly X% price increases, it won't be long till it's only the wealthy who can afford electricity in their homes.

Caporegime
Dynamic pricing would be interesting. Basically like income tax bracketing.
Wed all need a new smart meter... Or maybe not. But we'd all. Have to have one.

Probably a fair way.

We definitely need to sort out long term. Should have been building nuclear earlier and moving away from gas heating in a more viable way.
We aren't able to afford nor is it viable to whack in a heat pump to every home.

Long term fossil fuels are only going to increase. And if there's one thing that's going to absolutely stifle us it's paying for utilities rather than goods and services.

Don't see a happy ending to this unfortunately.
Just sorting out who gets shafted the worst.

Soldato
Surely dynamic pricing would just make electric cars very expensive. Anyway I did a quote on eom the othe day for a laugh, I'll just link it.

It's not a referral, but ours ends in September but thought I'd see how they compare. Think we're paying around 1100na year for both:eek:.

Sorry it's a screen dump from my phone and I'm on my phone so it's hard to edit.

y4mW_8BpaLOvLMCReE2lBfFrVjfaYLqw91k3oii8T8BhDjO7L2tDIv9HlNwPyzLXbTmdjvMl8BdspWwHyip5q_z-yE9n_Mw4eRe9wWiS97IVN53YVE_D0uDX64nKJ4BjlaSp5VHfkhsxapJhMALhbbb8Ez7r09Ya09TkKFDhVMqvP8nJHWJ7Py-cLabixbettxy

y4mi3p4uVej-fzb8Htaplj2lQ4BWRJBmJhNqd5S3yof2_Z40PhJtIPvnyxliNbgXCfvqnk1cevk0PXWfi8p-qI1KXbhvubkUT4fKOnezstBfEd1JqIsF3Fs88g2vPATJ8Gjz0e8PrBUoqgyjYHOykwKNVvgJtJhPQvxWnKwt_DMjT6tpYXhZ_uum1PvxG8cQSCQ

Soldato
Surely dynamic pricing would just make electric cars very expensive. Anyway I did a quote on eom the othe day for a laugh, I'll just link it.

y4mi3p4uVej-fzb8Htaplj2lQ4BWRJBmJhNqd5S3yof2_Z40PhJtIPvnyxliNbgXCfvqnk1cevk0PXWfi8p-qI1KXbhvubkUT4fKOnezstBfEd1JqIsF3Fs88g2vPATJ8Gjz0e8PrBUoqgyjYHOykwKNVvgJtJhPQvxWnKwt_DMjT6tpYXhZ_uum1PvxG8cQSCQ

That is crazy.

As for electric cars, depends if they are smart enough to know your dynamic tarriff. I'd want my electric car to charge a bit more slowly when the price rises and fast charge when it gets cheap.

Soldato
If they even do those tarrifs. They might stop them due to cost.

Well, if you didn't have a price cap on energy, it would actually work perfectly for a company who buy energy on the spot rate - because you're essentially charging the spot rate + operating margin for the utility. And your customers will try and ration their usage when the price rises and increase when it falls. If you have appliances that can lower and raise their consumption accordingly (like a dryer that uses less heat when the price rises) or an electric car that slows its charge rate, then your appliances could essentially do it for you.

Soldato

It's not a referral, but ours ends in September but thought I'd see how they compare. Think we're paying around 1100na year for both:eek:.

Sorry it's a screen dump from my phone and I'm on my phone so it's hard to edit.

y4mW_8BpaLOvLMCReE2lBfFrVjfaYLqw91k3oii8T8BhDjO7L2tDIv9HlNwPyzLXbTmdjvMl8BdspWwHyip5q_z-yE9n_Mw4eRe9wWiS97IVN53YVE_D0uDX64nKJ4BjlaSp5VHfkhsxapJhMALhbbb8Ez7r09Ya09TkKFDhVMqvP8nJHWJ7Py-cLabixbettxy

Based off of?

What property type? How many live there?

What kind of electronic gear you got?

Back
Top Bottom