Energy Suppliers

Soldato
I'm planning on the new costs becoming the norm, quite possibly higher too, especially if it all kicks off in the Ukraine.

There's already talk of doubling the interest rate in the next couple of months.

Doubling at the moment isn't so much of a problem whilst it's low. Doubling would only increase it to 0.5%.

Surely you just use a bigger pan:confused:. I've not dibe the maths but I'm sure electric hobs uses loads of electric and they are normally very slow to respond as essentially they're just a hot plate (not talking about induction here).

We were looking at an induction hob for our future kitchen so i was curious on the typical running costs vs gas, and whilst electric/induction hobs are more expensive to run, the cost over a year wasn't substantially more to be off-putting.

Soldato
Doubling at the moment isn't so much of a problem whilst it's low. Doubling would only increase it to 0.5%.

We were looking at an induction hob for our future kitchen so i was curious on the typical running costs vs gas, and whilst electric/induction hobs are more expensive to run, the cost over a year wasn't substantially more to be off-putting.
I'd expect induction to be a lot less than a traditional electric hob.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I think using electricity for heat is barbaric

electricity came from a power plant
burning some fuel, be it coal, biomass or gas to get heat, to get steam, to turn turbine at 40% efficiency
to get electricity, transporting it to be converted to heat in your kitchen again

I think I will take some heat from gas burner escaping around my pan over the above scenario
And before someone says but but but renewables, nuclear etc. First stop burning gas in power plants, then come after the house heating boilers and gas hobs.
Would using heat from the sun collected from solar panel be barbaric also? :p

Caporegime
I had my heating bill for the year.

£90 standing charges.... £30 of actual electric used... what a rip off.........

for the record I turn the water heater on as needed so 1hour or less whenever I take a shower daily or every other day as needed.
Heating I only use it if it's below 14c and that's very rare

655 kW Hours used

I think using electricity for heat is barbaric
Some people live in buildings where you can't have gas etc so the only choice is electric.
I think mines heated with pellets somewhere in a communal boiler room though.

but these standing charges... jesus..... It's not possible to change the heating/hot water from the building owner though so I can't even shop around.

last month I'm literally £7 in standing charges and £2.83 in actual kWhours... why even bother to try and use less in cases like this

just feel robbed when my bill is 3/4 standing charges

Last edited:
Associate
Had my 1st bill through since switching to Octopus Go, EV car instead of a ICE and fitting a Tesla PW2 (I have solar as well).

Considering it's over Dec and Jan it's very encouraging for the future months being significantly cheaper.

Soldato
Had my 1st bill through since switching to Octopus Go, EV car instead of a ICE and fitting a Tesla PW2 (I have solar as well).

Considering it's over Dec and Jan it's very encouraging for the future months being significantly cheaper.

Interesting, how long do you think it will take to break even on todays pricing to recover the investment cost?

Wonder if you could use the EV as a home battery, charge it up at night and run the house from it in the day.

Edit:
https://www.emobilitysimplified.com/2020/01/electric-car-powers-home-v2h-charger.html

Seems you can with a few EV models (Nissan Leaf) and more will support it in the future. Just the balance between energy cost savings and battery degradation but if you lease and its not against the T&C's then that wouldn't really matter.

Last edited:
Associate
Email from Octopus implying up to 75% increase from the new cap in April.

They have saved me a small fortune on the GO tariff, fixed till late September.

This is my most usage month of the year.

TKqVq6jh.jpg

Associate
Interesting, how long do you think it will take to break even on todays pricing to recover the investment cost?

Wonder if you could use the EV as a home battery, charge it up at night and run the house from it in the day.

Edit:
https://www.emobilitysimplified.com/2020/01/electric-car-powers-home-v2h-charger.html

Seems you can with a few EV models (Nissan Leaf) and more will support it in the future. Just the balance between energy cost savings and battery degradation but if you lease and its not against the T&C's then that wouldn't really matter.

If prices keep going up then potentially i'm saving 4 to 5 grand a year! I'm fixed on this rate till Nov 22.

I have a leased leaf and it can do it. You need one of these, stupidly priced, boxes though and I think a supporting energy supplier. As the car is "out" most of the time it's not something i'd be investing in. My Tesla PW2 holds 13.5 and most days, even during the darkest coldst months, it's enough to power the hose all day.

https://www.voltaev.co.uk/products/wallbox-quasar

Associate

TKqVq6jh.jpg

Sexy numbers, the day rate is very nice. It looks like new Go is around 7.5p / 35p. Have you got a battery? you're doing a good % of your usage in the Go window.

Caporegime

TKqVq6jh.jpg

This is a great rate.
I'm locked in at 22p elec all day and night until. 2024. So your savings are substantial!

Caporegime
How can you not change electric companies:confused: (not that it would make much difference at this point).
the heating/hot water is literally controlled by the company who owns all the buildings around here there is no choice not to use them.
there's a pellet or coal fired boiler down the street that's connected to all the properties for heating/hot water.
our boilers have no heating elements the hot water from the industrial boiler place travels through my boiler via a pipe that circles back to the plant, the heat of this water heats my boiler.

0.041600 per kilowatt hours (only bill I can find for November says I used 69 kilowatt hours for the whole month)
0.235300 standing charge per day

the actual charge per kilowatt hours is probably cheap but 70% of my bill is standing charges.

which is obviously annoying

my electric is different and I can change companies.

the thread is titled "energy suppliers" so I'm guessing hot water/heating still counts as a discussion

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
What's the cost of decent batteries these days? Might be the way to go as it would pay for or at least subsidise the bettery over a few years.

I guess there are two factors. One do you have an electric car/high usage household and two what capacity battery you go for as that would have an impact on cost.

Back
Top Bottom