Energy Suppliers

Man of Honour
I know this thread is largely irrelevant now due to no deals but I have a update after my misery of trying to get my credit out of Shell energy. To recap, I already had a switch to Sainsbury's Energy in progress when Green went under. My switch completed a couple of weeks later yet Green was still taking direct debits from me. I cancelled the DD's and gave it a couple of months to see if I got a final bill and the refund of my outstanding credit. Despite being assured by Shell Energy at the end of November that I would be getting them soon I still had heard nothing by the end of January. I stepped up my emails to them, most of which were ignored and the ones that did get answered had different excuses. Finally at the begining of this month I got a positive outcome and was informed that my account was cancelled and I would be getting a cheque for the full amount as I had waited an unacceptable amount of time. I received the cheque last week which cleared a couple of days later. Not only did I get all of my money back but I also had almost two weeks free energy due to them cancelling the account.

Soldato
@pastymuncher, you probably saw the same story from me. I got my cheque a few weeks ago now but I’m fairly sure I only got it because of my fairly persistent and escalating communications.

I did get a few days free energy as you did as they couldn’t bothered or their system didn’t allow them to bill me. I think it was about £40’s worth in the end.

Soldato
I'm still waiting for my final bill from when I was with Utility Point, EDF have charged me £50 usage sometime in February based on what I apparently owed Utility Point, but no one has been able to get this bill into my hands so I can verify it's even right!

Kind of crazy considering this was all kicking off last year around 6 months ago or more.

Man of Honour
@pastymuncher, you probably saw the same story from me. I got my cheque a few weeks ago now but I’m fairly sure I only got it because of my fairly persistent and escalating communications.

I did get a few days free energy as you did as they couldn’t bothered or their system didn’t allow them to bill me. I think it was about £40’s worth in the end.

That's right, I remember you had the same problems with them. They are truly a terrible company to deal with and I take pity on the people that are stuck with them. Make sure you don't run up a lot of credit or you may have a load of hassle to get it back when you leave. For those that have already left or were in a similar situation to b0rn2sk8 and myself, keep on at them until they back down. Their contact form on their website seems to be the best method even though it took them up to three weeks to get back to me with them blaming Covid for the delay (I am sick and fed up with companies using Covid as a excuse for **** poor customer service). Hopefully you will eventually get your money back.

Soldato
When I signed up a for a two years deal with EDF (due to end after June this year) I didn't realise how good it would turn out to be. Alas it is now to end.....

EDF-001.png

this is what we were paying per year......

EDF-002.png

so from around £1200 to almost double, if June is going to a game changer for us then October is going to be even less impressive.

I can't see anything worth considering other than what the STD variable will be.

Soldato
My dad (and mum) are with British gas. He rang me earlier over the moon to tell my his bill that was £600, he rang up about and an automated message told him he was £550 in credit. He said he's not paying anything until he hears otherwise
I'm sure some of these companies don't know their head from there arse at the moment, to go from £600 in debit on a paper bill, to £550 in credit :D

We're with Shell and monthly electric cost now is about £140 a month, but this is a 2 bed flat with electric only and no heating on at all - cooking, water heating, TV, PCs etc. just no radiators on

Soldato
My dad (and mum) are with British gas. He rang me earlier over the moon to tell my his bill that was £600, he rang up about and an automated message told him he was £550 in credit. He said he's not paying anything until he hears otherwise
I'm sure some of these companies don't know their head from there arse at the moment, to go from £600 in debit on a paper bill, to £550 in credit :D

We're with Shell and monthly electric cost now is about £140 a month, but this is a 2 bed flat with electric only and no heating on at all - cooking, water heating, TV, PCs etc. just no radiators on

I'm, in no way apologising for them (as I'm with BG as well) but I think BG have been rather overwhelmed by the number of collapsed providers they had to take over accounts for. Doesn't excuse it and you'd hope they'd have sorted the issues out by now but it's still a mess.

Soldato
I'm, in no way apologising for them (as I'm with BG as well) but I think BG have been rather overwhelmed by the number of collapsed providers they had to take over accounts for. Doesn't excuse it and you'd hope they'd have sorted the issues out by now but it's still a mess.
All providers that have become SOLAR have been overwhelmed.

I work for EDF and our CS dept are still struggling to pick up the backlog, we increased our customer base by nearly a million customers over night! (Realistically 7months) and this is in heard of!

Soldato
Can confirm as i work for EonNext, our CS staff have been getting hammered with all the SOLR customers plus all the cost of living and Ofgem price cap issues.

Think i posted here before that on 31st March and 1st April our call centres took over 30k calls each day for just 800 CS people, ignoring the thousands of emails we got in too for each of those days.

Soldato
All providers that have become SOLAR have been overwhelmed.

I work for EDF and our CS dept are still struggling to pick up the backlog, we increased our customer base by nearly a million customers over night! (Realistically 7months) and this is in heard of!
My new IHD appointment is in 2 days, I will let you know how it goes.

I am a little concerned no one will turn up as there was never any email confirmation, just the phone call to book it.

Personally I think the allowed supplier margin should increase temporarily based on SOLAR refugee count, allowing recruitment of more staff. In the grand scheme of things it would be a tiny impact on bill.

Soldato
Can confirm as i work for EonNext, our CS staff have been getting hammered with all the SOLR customers plus all the cost of living and Ofgem price cap issues.

Think i posted here before that on 31st March and 1st April our call centres took over 30k calls each day for just 800 CS people, ignoring the thousands of emails we got in too for each of those days.
Were extra CS people recruited? Or is it a fixed 800 regardless of customer count?

Associate

When you break that down to a 7hr day allowing for lunch, it’s only just over 5 calls an hour per operator 12 minutes per customer

Soldato
When you break that down to a 7hr day allowing for lunch, it’s only just over 5 calls an hour per operator 12 minutes per customer

Assuming everyone works full time, which they dont, and as i mentioned ignoring all the emails and other contact strreams they're expected to answer. There was 3000+ calls waiting for most of the day and ignoring all the calls that abandoned.

I sure as hell wouldnt want to sit and listen to people complaining about high energy costs for 7 hours a day with nonstop calls. You may or may not be suprised by the abuse our call centre staff get for no reason other than picking up the phone.

Soldato
Although abuse is unacceptable, in general people phone contact centres when they have an issue of some kind and so the chance of hearing complaints is quite high.

That's part of the job - to listen to people having issues for 7 hours a day. The staff are paid to deal with this.

Soldato
anyone going to Intelligent Octopus tariff?

As an EV pioneer on Octopus Go, we thought you might like to know about our latest beta product. Intelligent Octopus pairs directly with your car and charger to automate your overnight charging for the greenest, cheapest times.

How does it work?
6 hours of cheap electricity every night (7.5p / kWh).
We’ll pair with your EV system and map your overnight charging so you power up at the very greenest times.
Plug in, set your charging limits, and we'll do the rest through our handy app.
Save up to £100 per year vs Octopus Go on average

Soldato
@BigBoy Engineer replaced my IHD, said it would take a few hours, and agreed I Could ring him back late afternoon if no dice, he also tried three new IHD and spent a while to make sure it was connecting properly, he said the first two failed.

Ten minutes after he left, the live usage is working :) So now I can do proper checking of everything in my home, thanks for your advice man which helped here.

I still have the old IHD he had no interest in picking it up, so will probably chuck it away.

Interesting my 1000w rated kettle consumes 2100w. Mislabelled product I guess.

Back
Top Bottom