Energy Suppliers

Soldato
I recently switched to Robin Hood Energy for electric a few months ago. Cheaper than BG I was on before.

I'm on Ebico for Gas, no standing charge but slightly more per unit. It suits me as I'm a low user and hardly use any gas through the summer months.

Last edited:
Soldato
I went with Octopus energy in the end, they were 3rd down the 'cheapest' list, with first being nPower I just didn't want to risk them having read recent reviews on trustpilot, there are no exit fees with Octopus either.

Not sure if I am allowed to do this (mods please delete if not) but I get an amazon voucher and so do you if you sign up using this link;

http://octopus.refr.cc/GJTV5NJ

Alternatively, just their link without my referral!

https://octopus.energy/

:)

Soldato
Actually Octopus look alright.

I spent some time doing a spreadsheet of suppliers today, as hopefully I'll be completing on my first flat in the next month or so. Avro Energy, Npower and So Energy look like they might be the best for me, followed by GB Energy.

Soldato
Just an update on my transfer to Octopus, they have been brilliant so far, everything transferred over when they said it would be, they actually have a mobile app which I was happy about, you can set reminders for when to take meter readings etc, so all in all, a good move!

As said above, they may not be the very cheapest in those comparison sites but I am happy to report good feedback to anyone who might be interested in the switch! :)

Soldato
I'm trying to figure out if I'm better off switching again? I switched to British Gas as part of the Martin Lewis Cheap Energy Club Collective Switch.

I'm currently on the Collective Switch February 2017 Tariff:

Gas
Unit rate - 2.510p per kWh
Standing charge - 18.000p per day
TCR - 3.13p per kWh

Electric
Unit rate - 7.7750p per kWh
Standing charge - 18.000p per day
TCR - 10.12p per kWh

They have a new Collective Switch October 2017 Tariff:

Gas
Unit rate - 2.552p per kWh
Standing charge - 21.809p per day
TCR - 3.17p per kWh

Electric
Unit rate - 8.915p per kWh
Standing charge - 21.809p per day
TCR - 11.35p per kWh

The comparison is telling me that it's £40 per year/£3 per month more expensive than what I'm paying now. Bringing my Direct Debit up from £90 to £93 per month. If I decide to move tariff I would get another £30 cash back similar to my last switch after 3 months.

Talking the cash back into consideration would I be right in thinking that I would then be only slightly worse off and have the peace of mind of a decent fixed tariff until October next year?

Last edited:
Soldato
Talking the cash back into consideration would I be right in thinking that I would then be only slightly worse off and have the peace of mind of a decent fixed tariff until October next year?

It's not possible to say without making some assumption of how good a tariff you'd be able to find at the end of the Feb '17 fix.

a) If you assume that you will be able to find a tariff that is equivalent to the Oct '17 fix, then you will be £3 x 5 months = £15 worse off by Feb '17 if you switch, but then £30 cashback means you're £15 in the black.

b) If you think you won't be able to find something as good as the Oct '17 fix when your Feb '17 fix ends, then you're even better off making the switch.

c) But if you bet on finding an even cheaper fix when your Feb '17 fix ends, you will be worse off taking the Oct '17 fix as you're locked into that for longer.

Soldato
It's not possible to say without making some assumption of how good a tariff you'd be able to find at the end of the Feb '17 fix.

a) If you assume that you will be able to find a tariff that is equivalent to the Oct '17 fix, then you will be £3 x 5 months = £15 worse off by Feb '17 if you switch, but then £30 cashback means you're £15 in the black.

b) If you think you won't be able to find something as good as the Oct '17 fix when your Feb '17 fix ends, then you're even better off making the switch.

c) But if you bet on finding an even cheaper fix when your Feb '17 fix ends, you will be worse off taking the Oct '17 fix as you're locked into that for longer.

Thanks for the advice. By the looks of things prices are on the rise, my existing tariff has a £60 early exit fee for switching to another supplier. However I won't be penalised for simply switching tariff.

If I switch tariff to the Oct '17 fix the early exit fee reduces to £40, so if a better deal does along between now and Oct '17 the penalty for leaving isn't as severe. If a better deal doesn't come along and prices begin to rise then I'll be safe locked in to this fix.

Soldato
Thanks for the advice. By the looks of things prices are on the rise, my existing tariff has a £60 early exit fee for switching to another supplier. However I won't be penalised for simply switching tariff.

If I switch tariff to the Oct '17 fix the early exit fee reduces to £40, so if a better deal does along between now and Oct '17 the penalty for leaving isn't as severe. If a better deal doesn't come along and prices begin to rise then I'll be safe locked in to this fix.

Yes I would also bet on switching being more likely to pay off in the long run.

But there's no guarantee :)

Soldato
I went with Octopus energy in the end, they were 3rd down the 'cheapest' list, with first being nPower I just didn't want to risk them having read recent reviews on trustpilot, there are no exit fees with Octopus either.

Not sure if I am allowed to do this (mods please delete if not) but I get an amazon voucher and so do you if you sign up using this link;

http://octopus.refr.cc/GJTV5NJ

Alternatively, just their link without my referral!

https://octopus.energy/

:)

2 months in, and very happy with Octopus, I don't miss the smart meter element of not having to submit readings, as the app is decent.

So for anyone who has Octopus energy, check the app out as well.

At the risk of sounding like a reseller, I am gonna shut up now :D

...By the same token, loads of places would have been cheaper than BG so same story applies!

Soldato
Currently with Extra Energy. There were a few issues with the billing but they were solved by their CS. I'm due to switch on the 12th November (I've set a reminder) to avoid exit fees. I'll be due a rebate of around £150 as well.

Soldato
I'm with First Utility and coming to the end of my fix in December so had a quick scout around and GB Energy seem to be a fair bit cheaper than what i'm paying atm.

I keep getting emails from First Utility trying to get me to fix into a deal and they will fix a smart thermostat which I don't want/need. I'd just rather go for the cheapest deal they have which unfortunately isn't competitive so i'll be voting with my feet next month and switching!

Associate
I have to say I've been impressed with NPower. We moved into our new house in December last year. We originally started paying £59/pm DD for electric (we have oil fired central heating). By July this year we had built up a credit of £96.10 which they refunded to us within 7 working days. They also revised our DD payments down to £49/pm, we've just recently provided a meter reading for our October bill and we're in £40.25 credit.

I really like the app they provide, it provides all the information I need, payment history, submit and review meter readings, energy usage and tariff details. We're currently on the Price Fix February 2018 Elec DD.

Soldato
This thread becomes especially relevant for me now, as I will be taking the keys to my first flat tomorrow and will need to choose new suppliers.

I know when I previously made a spreadsheet that Avro Energy came out the cheapest. Any experience of this company?

Back
Top Bottom