Energy Suppliers

Soldato
This thread becomes especially relevant for me now, as I will be taking the keys to my first flat tomorrow and will need to choose new suppliers.

I stuck with the existing supplier (EDF) for the first year at our new place, because it made the transition easy and I had too much else to worry about (water/phone/broadband/council tax etc etc).

EDF's prices were fair and there were no exit fees.

Remember to take a meter reading the day you get the keys!

Soldato
2 months in, and very happy with Octopus, I don't miss the smart meter element of not having to submit readings, as the app is decent.

So for anyone who has Octopus energy, check the app out as well.

At the risk of sounding like a reseller, I am gonna shut up now :D

...By the same token, loads of places would have been cheaper than BG so same story applies!

Are you still happy with Octopus? They are coming up one of the cheapest for me at the moment on the usual comparison sites and I know it's a new company.

Soldato
It is that time of the year where I start looking to change suppliers.

Bulb have come up as one of the cheapest for me. I would lose smart metering for now but they will all have them eventually.

Bulb have been fairly quick are replying to Facebook messages and tweets so impressed with that.

Soldato
I think I'll be switching from ExtraEnergy to EDF.

The npower Online Price Fix December 2017 has come up cheapest on all the comparison sites for me, except Compare the Market. They must have an exclusive with EDF with their Simply Fixed November 2017 tariff, and it works outs £37 cheaper than the npower tariff over the year.

Soldato
It's funny how comparison sites can get their own exclusive deals from suppliers. Does mean you need to check all the comparison sites now!

I went with an exclusive deal with SSE through Energyhelpline.

Associate
can't believe people are still thinking about npower and basing it off what's cheapest. There's a reason they have 10,000+ negative reviews and thousands of complaints with Ofgem

Soldato
Thinking of lookin seeing if i can save some money with my British Gas supplier.

All this topic does is confuse me. Anyone able to say how to find a cheaper supplier and how to compare it etc? Explain in a easy to understand method lol.

Just got elec bill in and this is what it says.

Standard tar

Used over 121 days - 710 units
710 x 12.630p
Standing charge
121 days at 24.770p per day

TCR = 16.08p per kwh.

I pay £15 per fortnight and usually in credit at the end of each quater. I pay with a paypoint card.

Gas i dunno stats just that its prepayment meter and i barely put anything on in summer and now its getting cold im starting to put 15 a fortnight on, when its real cold £20. Pay using card at corner shops like elec.

Is that good or bad if bad help me to make it better please. :)

Oh and no to DD as i dont want the worry that money will be taken out of bank if i dont have it in. Rather pay by card at corner shops still.

On my bill it says i can switch to their partner sainsburys to save up to £76 a year. The tarrif would be Price Freeze Nov 2017 (fixed dual fuel tarrif)

I went on this thing https://energyhelpline.com

It says robin hood (lol) company can save me £52 a year.

Robin Hood Energy
Robin Hood Energy Prime v4
No cancellation fee
Fixed for 12 months

Pay On Receipt Of Bill
Save £52
per year
(14% saving).

Not much of a saving to go to trouble of moving i thought compared to some of you saying your saving absoulty loads of money.

My projected annual cost of electric is £365 according to my bill.

Last edited:
Soldato
Coop energy are coming up on uswith as cheapest, plus they give you a 30quid coop card.

I looked via quidco too and it said 30.80 cashback too.

Prob take that offer

Associate
I'm with First Utility, their prices are good if you make sure to move to a new fixed rate deal when your existing one is about to expire.

I like the monthly reading option that means my bill is always accurate and I pay for what I use each month rather than my bill being based on an estimate that suppliers always inflate above your actual usage.

Back
Top Bottom