Energy Suppliers

Soldato
I like the monthly reading option that means my bill is always accurate and I pay for what I use each month rather than my bill being based on an estimate that suppliers always inflate above your actual usage.

That's pretty good.

I've just switched to EDF Simply Fixed November 2017.

Soldato
Switched over to Avro today, sent opening readings online. They took the first dd payment out over a week ago which I thought a bit strange, don't remember doing that with my previous suppliers?
Other than that the process so far has been seamless, and their website seems easy enough to navigate.

Soldato
2 months in, and very happy with Octopus, I don't miss the smart meter element of not having to submit readings, as the app is decent.

So for anyone who has Octopus energy, check the app out as well.

At the risk of sounding like a reseller, I am gonna shut up now :D

...By the same token, loads of places would have been cheaper than BG so same story applies!

I can't seem to find the app is it iOS?

Soldato
Found the Octopus App.

Question: I can switch within 49 days of my current fixed term with British Gas is up. That is due soon but is that date the switch date or the date I contact a new supplier.

IE say I contact Octopus today but my switch date is in 21 days that takes me past the 49 days.

British Gas would not give me an answer, they simply said they could not guarantee I would not be charged an exit fee. Nice of them :/

Associate
Ha is had three different answers from British Gas now ranging from 0 days to 29 days.

unless the Domestic Customer has already entered into a new Fixed Term Supply Contract with the licensee or paragraph 22C.5 of standard condition 22C applies, a Domestic Customer is entitled to switch to any other Electricity Supplier at any time during or after the Switching Window without having to pay a Termination Fee;

For the purposes of this condition “Switching Window” means the period which begins 49 days before the date the fixed term period of a Fixed Term Supply Contract is due to end and which ends on the date the fixed term period of a Fixed Term Supply Contract is due to end.

Associate
Taken from ofgem's standard licensing conditions:

unless the Domestic Customer has already entered into a new Fixed Term Supply Contract with the licensee or paragraph 22C.5 of standard condition 22C applies, a Domestic Customer is entitled to switch to any other Electricity Supplier at any time during or after the Switching Window without having to pay a Termination Fee;

For the purposes of this condition “Switching Window” means the period which begins 49 days before the date the fixed term period of a Fixed Term Supply Contract is due to end and which ends on the date the fixed term period of a Fixed Term Supply Contract is due to end.

Oops double post, clicked quote instead of edit

Soldato

Thank you sir. The last person I spoke to (the 5th?) at BG said as long as my switch date was after next Saturday I would not get charged an exit fee. Fingers crossed.

The signup with Octopus was easy enough, they have been chatting with me throughout the day on Facebook Messenger.

Soldato
Switch time for me and Ovo rates are going up (as is everyone). I phoned them and asked them if they'd price match a cheaper rate I was quoted online and was told they couldn't.

To give them their dues, Ovo have been great customer wise but for the sake of £150 a year, I'll switch. Energy is energy, I only care about customer service if there is a problem and the switching companies make the whole process so easy.

Soldato
Switch time for me and Ovo rates are going up (as is everyone). I phoned them and asked them if they'd price match a cheaper rate I was quoted online and was told they couldn't.

To give them their dues, Ovo have been great customer wise but for the sake of £150 a year, I'll switch. Energy is energy, I only care about customer service if there is a problem and the switching companies make the whole process so easy.

same as me - about £200 cheaper for me with SSE. Shame as OVO have been zero issues when I transfered over, app is easy to use, good website layout etc. Still time to move on and I'm also about £700 in credit so happy days!!

Caporegime
My fixed tariff with SSE finishes on 8th of April and looking around now it's going to cost ~£100 more if I swtich to some random company like Iresa Limited or Economy Energy.

Weirdly though MSE, USwtich, the notice letter about the fix term nearing an end and the pdf bills all have different unit rates for gas & electricity.

Soldato
Switched over to Avro today, sent opening readings online. They took the first dd payment out over a week ago which I thought a bit strange, don't remember doing that with my previous suppliers?
Other than that the process so far has been seamless, and their website seems easy enough to navigate.
Update on this, as I've been with Avro for a while now...
Just received the final bill from my previous supplier, and after I'd picked myself up off the floor had to phone Avro CS as they had sent First Utility a made up number for my final gas reading, and instead of the usual 60 or so kWh I use a month, First Utility were under the impression I had used 46150 kWh in two weeks and had billed me over £1100...
To be fair, Avro got straight onto the case, and have already sent over the correct figures. A bit of incompetence there (the girl on the phone said they use third parties for the figures), but for me a company stands or falls on their CS and it's been handled fine so far...

Associate
Anyone use iresa? New kid on the block and wanting money a month ahead worries me but they're cheaper than the rest and will pay interest on credit I think. Not sure if I want to go to a really small company. Any advice?

FluffySheep

Back
Top Bottom