Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Been with First Utility for about 18 months now, fitted a smart meter when we joined. There customer service can be a bit poor, we didn't get a bill for 5 months, even though we'd submitted gas readings and the smart meter had been transmitting. People tend to have no joy ringing them but i messaged the twitter team and it was sorted quickly.

I swap tariff ever few months for a better rate, all done online :)

Associate
I've had a real nightmare with my new house

It's got pre pay meters with Scottish power :(

So I've got to deal with pre pay for 20 odd days and then apply for the standard meters

Soldato
I used to usually switch when there was a £70-80 cash back deal on through Quidco. Not seen any deals like that for a while though apart from ones where you have to lock in on certain tariffs. :D

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Good luck switching from OVO.....

The only way to save is switch every year, doesnt matter who it is.

Associate
Not long since moved into a new house and looking at changing energy supplier. E ON are the company who supply energy atm but looking at Ovo they seem a fair bit cheaper and get good reviews. Does anyone know if they do FIT for solar panels?

Soldato
Moved into a house in Dec and i got a bill last week from First Utility for £200 for gas & elec from Dec-Jan! i signed up with Co Op but they aren't taking over until Feb so First Utility put me on their highest tariff in the mean time! Is there anything i can do about this without signing to stay with them?

Soldato
I am with British Gas, well, I joined them in December when I moved in, had one of those smart meters fitted (as well as the ones in the garage for gas/electric) all nice and fancy but showing me just how expensive these gas and electric charges are!
At the moment, my daily gas/electric is showing about £5.50/6 useage a day, that seems a lot given we are not major power hoggers, I am on the British Gas Fix & Fall Jan 2017 tariff, (4.080p per kWh unit rate) or 'Tariff comparison rate of 4.77p per kWh inc VAT

I am thinking they are expensive (British Gas) but with all the dramas of changing / small prints / standing charges, are the other suppliers THAT much cheaper?

Soldato
I am thinking they are expensive (British Gas) but with all the dramas of changing / small prints / standing charges, are the other suppliers THAT much cheaper?

YES. Knock up a speadsheet for a few suppliers and work out your standing charge per month and your average kWh consumption and the price difference will be amazing.

Tariff comparison rates are a stupid system, they only work for the exact median consumers, if you are a high or low user you need to do the sums yourself.

Soldato
Well I have switched to GB Energy, it has completed today.

I have worked out my final bill with Npower and compared to what the cost would have been with my new supplier and it is quite a big saving.

So on a 30 day basis its £165.27 npower vs £107.43 with GB energy

power.JPG

Last edited:
Soldato
I changed to GB from first utility a few months back. Be aware with GB they take a payment before you start for some reason.

But they are quite cheap compared to the competition :)

Elec I'm paying 9.55p/kwh (15.65p standing charge)
Gas is 2.65p/kwh (11.50p standing)

It's come down a couple of times since joining.

Back
Top Bottom