Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Just went on to USwitch and filled in the details to look at moving from Bulb and it came up with a message that there is nothing available at the moment due to the rising costs etc

Is all that anyone can do right now who is with a supplier that could go under sit and wait it out and see what happens? Just seems risky that Bulb who have 1.7 million customers who will need moving to another supplier, the admin involved in that must be insane and the risk of losing credit or even supply could could be a thing if they go under? Not to mention the likelihood of the new tariff you're forced onto being a lot more expensive.

Associate
Your credit is protected and will be taken on by the SoLR. Your supply will not be cut off. So the only real risk is being put on a (very) high tariff.

Soldato
With Igloo who are reportedly going under according to Sky News so should be interesting. Just looked on comparison websites and the increase is crazy.

I imagine the best thing to do is just wait and see what happens!

I called it a couple of days ago. :( The article mentions Green too.

Igloo today posted a notice on their home page saying that all customers' credit balances and energy supply are safe. The link when clicked describes the current market and says that they don't rule out raising prices again this year, but so many small companies are going to the wall they want to reassure customers that they are safe should Igloo go under. I read that as something of a soft pre-warning and didn't bother switching to them. Shame, as they have good customer service and were cheap.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
No suggested plans through USwitch currently. All over the place right now it seems.
Mine says the same in a black box centre screen, but does show a few if you select show plans which require switching directly?

Cheapest showing here is Neon Reef Neptune v3 @
Unit rate

16.498p per kWh

Standing charge

17.234p per day

No cheaper than my existing though, so no saving here.

Soldato
Just a heads up, nationalgrid are predicting due to current demand increases that by 2026 the cheaper overnight tariff will be gone and a 24hr fixed rate tariff will be in place. As more powerstations will need to be run during the night to deal with demand.

But don't worry it's been government mandated that we will have 5gw of hydrogen production by 2030...

Soldato
You can’t be put on a very high tariff if you don’t agree to it. If you don’t agree a fix, you get put on the SVR which is currently below cost.

The SVR might be higher than a fix you had with bulb but it isn’t a disaster as bulb hasn’t been fighting at the cheapest end of the market for awhile.

Soldato
So I've recently changed to Octopus Go and trying to do as much washing and dishwasher overnight as I can.

In regards the next power hungry device...our 10.5kwh shower!

What sort of price difference will installing a shower to run off the combi boiler make?

Soldato
Just a heads up, nationalgrid are predicting due to current demand increases that by 2026 the cheaper overnight tariff will be gone and a 24hr fixed rate tariff will be in place. As more powerstations will need to be run during the night to deal with demand.

But don't worry it's been government mandated that we will have 5gw of hydrogen production by 2030...

Just as the electric car market will be booming, nice.

There was also a warning from Business and Energy Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng that Britain must prepare for a future of higher energy prices.

"The price has spiked considerably," he told the committee. "You would expect normally that the price would revert to the mean.

"It's not something that we think is going to be sustainable... We have to prepare for longer-term high prices."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58652083

Double Nice :rolleyes:

I hope there is more to the governments green energy plans than just making gas/electric too expensive to use without worrying about the cost.

Soldato
For some reason my communication from EDF didn't mention the new tariff rates, but according to EDF whatsapp chat, they are as follows on the SVR for ex-UP customers on a DD:

Elec:
20.68p per kWh
24.11p per day

Gas:
4.169p per kWh
26.12p per day

I couldn't see any better deals really, and switching to a smaller supplier with the current issues didn't make sense.

Soldato
Just noticed Octopus have pulled the SVR option. Our fixed tariff runs out in October, and was planning to go onto it which was the default option - still hoping that’s the case. Guess it’s been removed to avoid any new customers coming over on it

Back
Top Bottom