Energy Suppliers

Soldato
British Gas (or Scottish Gas, whatever they're calling themselves) have finally said I'll be switched from PFP on 18th November, over two months since PFP ceased. Fully appreciate they'll have been busy but this is abysmal service and means I'll have been stuck on a tariff of BG's choosing for two months and will be stuck with them for at least another month before I can switch away to someone else.

Soldato
British Gas (or Scottish Gas, whatever they're calling themselves) have finally said I'll be switched from PFP on 18th November, over two months since PFP ceased. Fully appreciate they'll have been busy but this is abysmal service and means I'll have been stuck on a tariff of BG's choosing for two months and will be stuck with them for at least another month before I can switch away to someone else.

The tariff BG put you on will be the best price you can get at the moment. It’s the capped standard viable rate and is being sold to you at a loss.

There are no cheaper tariffs to switch to so I wouldn’t stress about not being able to switch.

Associate
I got the same email from E.On(transferring from Igloo)
but the rates seem to be different to me even though I am on the same tariff? how can the rates be different in the same tariff?

"You'll pay a standing charge of 28.59p per day and 21.98p/kWh (day) and 21.98p/kWh (night) for each unit of electricity.
You'll pay a standing charge of 30.78p per day and 4.27p/kWh for each unit of gas."

That's more in line with the price cap. Seems blackjack's day rate is higher as his night rate is significantly cheaper.

Associate
Finally got an email from EON who took over from Igloo:

"We've moved you on to our Next Flex tariff for now - which means:
You'll pay a standing charge of 28.69p per day and 26.13p/kWh (day) and 13.89p/kWh (night) for each unit of electricity."

Yikes. I assume the rates will be the same for all transferred customers but no information on what they'll be DD'ing me (yet)
I’m still waiting to hear from eOn and I was fearing this myself as we have a two rate meter from old economy seven. I’d prefer to be on a standard flat rate

Associate
I was a bit slack in taking over the old housemates account for our flat.

We got moved over to EDF from Green Network Energy back when they went bust (well before the recent dramas) but our welcome rate (which I think was locked to the GNE rate) ran out in October and we were moved to 'Deemed'. I didn't even realise, just saw a lot of advice saying 'stick to whatever they move you to, the fixed rates are even worse'.

Finally sorting it out, so sharing my rates in case its helpful.

Electric = 19.78p/kWH + 22.19p standing charge
Gas = 3.987p/kWH + 24.87p standing charge.

Seems... okay? Given the current circumstances?

One thing they have screwed me on though is a huge amount of estimated usage from October relative to our general usage when I supplied them with the most recent meter reading. So I think a lot of our real usage has actually been front loaded into the much more expensive tariff. Hoping to get that reevaluated... lets see.

Soldato
Provided Octopus with a meter reading, around six weeks since I joined them. They asked for £92.26 upfront and I’ve made another payment last month and a payment is due in the next few days. After the readings have been applied I’m £142 in credit still, although I did get a £50 referral credit. When my next payment is made my account will be £230 in credit. Ridiculous IMO although I’m sure I’ll use more gas as it continues to get colder but I still reckon I’ll be in credit.

Seems to be standard practice now days, makes a mockery of them doing credit checks when we give them the credit lol.

I reduced my DD due to my credit, but they automatically increased it again.

Soldato
If Labour had been in charge at the start of Covid the country would have gone bust

Thats a bold claim, you think they would have outdone furlough?

Ironically the current situation perhaps has people wishing they nationalised energy companies, although not sure if it would have meant lower bills, it may have got a social tariff though.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
For those waiting on Shell energy taking over from Green, I’ve just had an email asking me to verify my shell account.

Hopefully that means I’m not too far away from getting a final bill.

Edit: got into my account and here is what it says

Your Shell Energy account is nearly ready
We’re currently setting up your online account, but with so many new customers joining us at once, this is taking some time. Right now we’re waiting to receive all of your details from Green’s administrators.

In the meantime, you can find updates on our blog, or answers to frequently asked questions in our our Help centre

Set up a new Direct Debit
If you’ve cancelled your Direct Debit with Green's, you can now set up a new one with us if you need to.

If you’ve already set one up, then don’t worry – we’ve got it. You don’t need to do it again.

If you were in credit with Green
If your balance with Green was in credit, we’ll transfer this over to your Shell Energy account. We’re waiting for Green’s administrator to confirm when this will be.

Your opening meter reading
We’ll use the meter reading you submitted to Green as your starting read. If you didn’t send one, we’ll estimate your energy use based on your previous meter reads. Once we have an up-to-date meter reading, we can always adjust your bill. If you have a smart meter, we’ll use your last read from Green as your opening read.

If you haven’t already done so, it’s worth taking a picture or making a note of your meter read. Here's how to do it

As soon as your account is fully set up, we’ll let you know.

Soldato
Ouch. That is high. I thought the price cap was around 21p/kWh max.

That is what the standing charge is for according to EON.

I've been looking through rates etc and its because I'm still on the old Eco7/multimeter rate its a flat that used to have economy 7 heaters. Hmm. I'm unsure what I'm going to do at this point.

For those waiting on Shell energy taking over from Green, I’ve just had an email asking me to verify my shell account.

Hopefully that means I’m not too far away from getting a final bill.

Edit: got into my account and here is what it says

Your Shell Energy account is nearly ready
We’re currently setting up your online account, but with so many new customers joining us at once, this is taking some time. Right now we’re waiting to receive all of your details from Green’s administrators.

In the meantime, you can find updates on our blog, or answers to frequently asked questions in our our Help centre

Set up a new Direct Debit
If you’ve cancelled your Direct Debit with Green's, you can now set up a new one with us if you need to.

If you’ve already set one up, then don’t worry – we’ve got it. You don’t need to do it again.

If you were in credit with Green
If your balance with Green was in credit, we’ll transfer this over to your Shell Energy account. We’re waiting for Green’s administrator to confirm when this will be.

Your opening meter reading
We’ll use the meter reading you submitted to Green as your starting read. If you didn’t send one, we’ll estimate your energy use based on your previous meter reads. Once we have an up-to-date meter reading, we can always adjust your bill. If you have a smart meter, we’ll use your last read from Green as your opening read.

If you haven’t already done so, it’s worth taking a picture or making a note of your meter read. Here's how to do it

As soon as your account is fully set up, we’ll let you know.

Oh thats useful mother was on Green and over £500 in credit if it gets transferred automatically that'll save a lot of hassle

Soldato
Get the old meter taken out and a normal smart meter put in? It should be straight forward assuming you don’t have anything connected to any dedicated storage heater circuits anymore from the meter.

Man of Honour
Finally got a response from Shell after I pointed out that they were responsible for my Green account from the day they went under to the day Sainsbury's took over my supply and they say that they hope to refund me in full and issue my final bill by the end of this month. The original response to the were they said they were not responsible for my account took under 2 hours, this one took 8 days.

JC

JC

Soldato
Avro are trying to take a further direct debit now at the end of November.
The last statement I ever received for them put me in ~£100 credit, and since then they took the September and October DDs.
Not received a bill since from them or Octopus so think its time to call the bank.

Soldato
Avro are trying to take a further direct debit now at the end of November.
The last statement I ever received for them put me in ~£100 credit, and since then they took the September and October DDs.
Not received a bill since from them or Octopus so think its time to call the bank.

Same for me. I assumed the money would show on my Octopus account once the switch eventually finalised (still waiting to hear), or have I got this completely wrong and need to cancel my Avro DD?

Soldato
Any money paid to Avro gets paid to Octopus the rate you are getting from Octopus is likely far worse so all cancelling the DD does is make the bill you get from Octopus later bigger.

Associate
Beware British Gas and Evolve.... bunch of sharks
I've recently moved to the UK and just bought our first house (new build). I was told the energy was with British Gas and they would be in touch to open accounts etc.
Then I was told I needed to go to their website to open an account. This I did, and the BG website told me I needed to register with Evolve.
Registering with Evolve has now resulted in a switch off the BG standard variable tariff that the property was on before, to a BGE extortionate tariff... 33p/kwh and 9.3p/kwh for gas. There was no indication that this was a switch.

Feeling a little grumpy right now! But let's see if they respond to the complaints process...

Back
Top Bottom