Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Anybody here have solar pannnels for electricity? I have had a quick look with estimates of 6k and probably more for a battery Installation.
But if I'm paying 1k a year electric anyway, long term this might be worth looking into further?
Thoughts?
I'm wondering the same, half expecting solar panels to become the new bog roll, COVID testing kits:cry: (rarity).

Associate
I think around 1/4 of current domestic electricity costs are environmental levies, & iirc this is due to increase. I expect these will be scrapped or postponed in 2022 at some point; they will become indefensible in the face of mass fuel poverty.

Soldato
I think around 1/4 of current domestic electricity costs are environmental levies, & iirc this is due to increase. I expect these will be scrapped or postponed in 2022 at some point; they will become indefensible in the face of mass fuel poverty.

They in my opinion need suspending, a 25% levy is inexcusable right now. People been able to get by day to day is more important than ideology. How did it even get that high in the first place, it should never have been more than a few %. We effectively tax consumers 30% on energy.

Soldato
By all accounts prices are expected to double in April, and the price cap too
Scaremongering, not even a tory government would let the cap double.

It's typical media headline spin. The 'doubling' they are talking about are for people who were on long term fixed deals, who have elec around the 13-15p which when they run out after April will probably see a doubling in their bills.

But the people who are already at near the price cap price now of around 20p the estimates atm are more like a 50% increase

Soldato
It's typical media headline spin. The 'doubling' they are talking about are for people who were on long term fixed deals, who have elec around the 13-15p which when they run out after April will probably see a doubling in their bills.

But the people who are already at near the price cap price now of around 20p the estimates atm are more like a 50% increase
Which is horrifically high nonetheless.:(

Soldato
I'm fixed till September. I'm watchin the market closely, but next Christmas might be expensive. We currently pay about 17p per kWh, oh and I've just bought an electric car as I wanted to save money on fuel :cry:.

Caporegime
50 percent is still a damn lot for those who aren't fixed. I mean if its still that high next Christmas increase in tax/utility bills is gonna have to go up even more for the non poorest to pay for that top up.

Soldato
Interesting, only just been able to get into the EDF site after they sent me an email about my bill that I couldn't login to see, but long story short, they're trying to bill me based on Cash/Cheque pricing.

The prices are as follows on their variable plan:

Payment Plan Cash/Cheque (Monthly)
My unit rates Electricity unit rate: 21.78p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 28.69p per day

Gas unit rate: 4.391p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 30.78p per day

Payment Plan DD
My unit rates Electricity unit rate: 20.68p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 24.11p per day

Gas unit rate: 4.169p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 26.12p per day

I've configured DD now, but I'm asking them to re-issue my bills with the correct DD pricing, I'd encourage anyone who has been moved like me to check their bills and unit rates. EDF are understandably busy, but I don't think I've received the welcome pack from them yet, and they are already trying to overcharge me :cry:

Soldato
I don't think any fix can beat the variable cap prices at the moment still, I hope this changes sometime.

My average bill is going from £80 or so per month to £160. This is ahead of the proposed 50% increase in April, so things going to get rocky.

Caporegime
So many unknowns at the moment it's hard to know what to do.

All depends how they will change things.
Will they change the costs on the variable but give an increased winter fuel payout?

Will give cut vat or some sort of unit price cap?

Will charges for the support for the poorest be placed on energy bills for everyone else? Or will it be paid by general tax?

Soldato
Anyone who has been ejected to EDF, have you received a proper welcome pack?

EDF are trying to charge me inflated rates for the last couple of months because they've not given me the opportunity to setup a DD with them.

They have advised they sent me a contract pack on 03/11 via email but I have no such pack in my mailbox. Has anyone here received a contract pack and if so what was the email subject/date?

According to the website apparently they sent it but if it went into my spam then I may not have seen it. In this case I wonder if they have much of a leg to stand on here? Email is not a 100% reliable form of communication.

I think if they failed to setup my DD they should contact me to arrange a new one with me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom