Energy Suppliers

Man of Honour
Yeah Octopus are awful, went on back and forth for over a year getting our smart meters sorted. They work their end now but my IHD is basically useless. I'd have dropped them so quickly if it wasn't for the fact I'd be paying stupid bills if I left now.

Soldato
Yeah Octopus are awful, went on back and forth for over a year getting our smart meters sorted. They work their end now but my IHD is basically useless. I'd have dropped them so quickly if it wasn't for the fact I'd be paying stupid bills if I left now.
A lot of their staff seem untrained, e.g. most dont understand the tracker and agile tariffs are capped, and was a nightmare getting my IHD swapped out.

Soldato
I just refuse to give in, soon as they don't work I email, phone and generally annoy then until they agree to come and replace them.
Eventually I'll get a combination of meters that work and someone that knows how to fit them.

This time they changed just the gas meter, gave me a new IHD as well for some reason. Said he's done it so the gas meter sets up first or something rather than electric first.

Give it until Monday then I'll be onto them daily until they come again.

Customer services keep saying it's the range, and I keep telling them both my neighbors are the same and they when and my first meters worked for 12 months.
They're just completely inept.

Associate
I'm with Eon and I'm up for renewal in October. I've read through Martin Lewis's stuff and used a tool on his website which suggests the fixed contract on offer is probably best avoided. What is everyone else doing at the moment? Still feels like a bit of a gamble not fixing alas it may be a gamble that pays off. The flexi offer comes up cheapest but I assume that is based on current prices and not taking into account what prices could rise to?

Current Tariff:
Elec: 19.82p/kwh 17.26p/day
Gas: 3.96p/kwh 20.64p/day

Offered Fixed:
Elec: 60.51p/kwh 43.39p/day
Gas: 15.23p/kwh 27.22p/day

Offered Flex:
Elec: 28.46p/kwh 43.39p/day
Gas: 7.48p/kwh 27.22p/day

I have a 1950's detached 3 bed house, which I really need to get loft insulation sorted out for, but as a household, me, the wife, a 2yo and a 4yo we use the below yearly quantities

Elec: 2450kwh
Gas: 6659kwh

Initially not fixing looks the better option and Martin Lewis's online tool states as the offered fixed tariff is over 130% more than my current tariff, it's actually 210% more, the tariff offered is too expensive. I'm a pretty low risk person and usually when I take a gamble, as in going onto the flex tariff, it goes horribly wrong for me :cry: On the flip side the fixed tariff offered seems ludicrous!

What would you do?

Associate
I'm with Eon and I'm up for renewal in October. I've read through Martin Lewis's stuff and used a tool on his website which suggests the fixed contract on offer is probably best avoided. What is everyone else doing at the moment? Still feels like a bit of a gamble not fixing alas it may be a gamble that pays off. The flexi offer comes up cheapest but I assume that is based on current prices and not taking into account what prices could rise to?

Current Tariff:
Elec: 19.82p/kwh 17.26p/day
Gas: 3.96p/kwh 20.64p/day

Offered Fixed:
Elec: 60.51p/kwh 43.39p/day
Gas: 15.23p/kwh 27.22p/day

Offered Flex:
Elec: 28.46p/kwh 43.39p/day
Gas: 7.48p/kwh 27.22p/day

I have a 1950's detached 3 bed house, which I really need to get loft insulation sorted out for, but as a household, me, the wife, a 2yo and a 4yo we use the below yearly quantities

Elec: 2450kwh
Gas: 6659kwh

Initially not fixing looks the better option and Martin Lewis's online tool states as the offered fixed tariff is over 130% more than my current tariff, it's actually 210% more, the tariff offered is too expensive. I'm a pretty low risk person and usually when I take a gamble, as in going onto the flex tariff, it goes horribly wrong for me :cry: On the flip side the fixed tariff offered seems ludicrous!

What would you do?

This may help https://www.cornwall-insight.com/co...stegbDblW993kO9nKtc8aLGdqRLSgMUYOYoCg_M2bHADI

Still a prediction but they are usually close to what the final prices are.

Soldato

Octopus have been great for me.
  • They sorted my switch to Go in March quickly - A couple of calls where they explained how it worked, the timescales and meter requirements.
  • No issues reducing my monthly payment from £200 down to £30.

Soldato
@robj20
Sorry if you've already said this, but I've had a quick read through your posts and can't see the answer to my question: Can you see your gas usage online, or just not on the IHD? I can see both of my gas and electric usage online, however EDF's website doesn't show you current meter readings.

My problem is that my IHD suddenly started displaying the message "Electricity supply disconnected". @BigBoy did his best to help me get it sorted, but him and a team weren't able to get the message to go. It was decided that a new IHD was needed, which is when I got two more problems - I'm no longer able to see my gas supply on the IHD at all and I can't view my current tariff information on the IHD.

An engineer came out a couple of weeks ago, with no change whatsoever. I've since been hounding EDF on the phones and they're currently waiting for another team to recommission my meter. Most of this time, the IHD has basically been sat in front of the two meters, with me power cycling the IHD every few days, in hope that the gas supply will appear one day. :D

I've made it absolutely crystal clear to EDF that I want the IHD to at least show me my gas usage and tariff information, especially with winter and price hikes incoming very soon. Although I doubt it's doing much to speed things up, I also opened a complaint several weeks ago.

I've told EDF that if things don't change soon, I'm going to insist on a new set of meters and IHD. If they refuse, I will get another engineer out and hopefully sweet talk them into replacing the equipment. I don't despise of the last engineer, but I felt that if he wasn't so fixated on giving me advice about stuff like energy usage and insisting that I had high power consuming things turned on when I didn't, he might have actually made progress in fixing my problem.

Associate
This may help https://www.cornwall-insight.com/co...stegbDblW993kO9nKtc8aLGdqRLSgMUYOYoCg_M2bHADI

Still a prediction but they are usually close to what the final prices are.

Based on the Cornwall insight TDCV if I apply the fixed tariff offered to me the 1 year bill would come out at £3840, which is a fair bit under the £4102 and £5054 averages Cornwall insight are mentioning for next year.

What to do......hmmm....

Based on that the fixed looks quite attractive indeed!

Soldato
Based on the Cornwall insight TDCV if I apply the fixed tariff offered to me the 1 year bill would come out at £3840, which is a fair bit under the £4102 and £5054 averages Cornwall insight are mentioning for next year.

What to do......hmmm....

Based on that the fixed looks quite attractive indeed!

You need to look at your actual use - those prices are based on average use, which is Elec : 2900 kWh and Gas, 12,000 kWh.

Associate
You need to look at your actual use - those prices are based on average use, which is Elec : 2900 kWh and Gas, 12,000 kWh.

Cornwall insight is based on TDCV figures so if I apply my tariff based on TDVC figures I can compare it directly with their forecast. The fixed I've been offered is cheaper than the forecasted averages.

My personal consumption is way less so the overall bill to me would be cheaper still. It will be a £150 a month increase on my current £88 a month payment. If I take into account the £400 we'll be given (I think I'll get that?) then it's a £117 a month increase on my current £88 monthly payment.

Associate
look at the auxilione table in gd thread it has unit/sc prices in jan/april

Can't find what I'm looking for but did notice anyone being offered Eon's Next Online V19 fixed is signing up. There's no exit fee and I'd fall back onto their SVR tariff if I did exit. Whilst I was shocked initially at the fixed offer I will sign up later today, before the offer disappears.

Back
Top Bottom