Enermax Galaxy 1000W uses 24W when PSU switch is OFF!

Associate
Enermax Galaxy 1000W uses 17W when PSU switch is OFF!

Just bought an electricity meter and plugged it into my PC; the results were not what I was expecting!

PC on: 300W :(
PC off: 24W :confused:
PC off with PSU button off: 24W :eek:

This is crazy!:eek: That switch can't isolate the power at all if it’s still consuming 24W of electricity when it's turned off.
This means that say you leave you PC plugged in, off, and the PSU switch off for a year, you could end up spending £30 a year on electricity! Crazy! Short answer, turn the switch off at the wall.

So their claims of efficiency when your PC is turned on are counteracted by the fact this PSU uses so much electricity when it's turned off!

UPDATE***********************SOME PICTURES AT LAST*************

Ok, here are the pics to prove it - this time it's 17W, maybe it was 17W all along?? Still a lot though!:

imag0034hx8.jpg

imag0035jc0.jpg

imag0037om3.jpg

kettle lead unplugged:
imag0038ut3.jpg

HA:D - actually the jokes on me as it's costing me the money!!!!:(

The electricity meter cost me about £12 from eBay. Search for a "BN ELECTRICITY MONITOR"
(found out that our Sony LCD screen uses 20+W when off too!)

Imagine all this stuff that we actually think is off but is costing around £20 a year to run for each item when its off! MAD

Last edited:
Associate
I just bought an Enermax Galaxy 850w as part of my new system, I will have to test this and see if it gives the same sort of results.

Mud

Mud

Soldato
Missing a decimal place? It's really hard to believe so I'm afraid I'll join the doubters!

Associate
tagan tg 530 u22, full load, 350ish w - idle 140w, "off" ~8w, switch off 0w, unplugged -3500w - save the planet!

the last number is a joke the rest is real, sound to me like the +5vsb / APFC are the wrong side of the power switch. there are a few psu's that generate the +5v sb with a totally sepperate supply, fully removed from the main one. maybe this is one of them?

Associate
Some equipment has radio filters on the live side of the on/off switch, ie you can't isolate them using the appliance switch. A dribble I could understand but not 24 Watts.

Soldato
good thread this

How do u measure the wattage ?

I got a FLUKE multimeter if that helps

would like to see if mine is actually outputting its 460W, be interesting to find out :)

Associate
good thread this

How do u measure the wattage ?

I got a FLUKE multimeter if that helps

would like to see if mine is actually outputting its 460W, be interesting to find out :)

You take your life in your hands if it is a multimeter & measure the amps flowing into the PSU and multiply by 220-240 (whatever the power company sees fit to send on that day). The safe way to do it is with a clamp meter that doesn't involve any exposure to hazardous voltages which is what I suspect the others are using.

Soldato
where do you get these meters, what make and model are you using?

i have my main pc plugged in 24/7 but use it like 1 or 2 hrs a week max

Associate
where do you get these meters, what make and model are you using?

i have my main pc plugged in 24/7 but use it like 1 or 2 hrs a week max

Best delete this, or you'll be hearing the sound of the Eco Warriors marching to your door with pitchforks at the ready :D

Associate
This 24 Watts, is it being measured soon after the power is switched off & fades away with time, say 15 minutes ?

"Power off button" do you mean the soft power switch on the case or the rocker on the PSU itself ? If the former it is in standby and although a little high to be expected, if the latter it has to be faulty.

Last edited:
Soldato
Best delete this, or you'll be hearing the sound of the Eco Warriors marching to your door with pitchforks at the ready :D

heh , well it could be worse - i could of mentioned that my dad has his pc on 24/7 but only uses it for a few hours per day otherwise its sitting idle....ooops did i say that too loud? ;)

Associate
Pictures to prove it!

Ok, here are the pics to prove it - this time it's 17W, maybe it was 17W all along?? Still a lot though!:

imag0034hx8.jpg

imag0035jc0.jpg

imag0037om3.jpg

kettle lead unplugged:
imag0038ut3.jpg

HA:D - actually the jokes on me as it's costing me the money!!!!:(

The electricity meter cost me about £12 from eBay. Search for a "BN ELECTRICITY MONITOR"
(found out that our Sony LCD screen uses 20+W when off too!)

Imagine all this stuff that we actually think is off but is costing around £20 a year to run for each item when its off! MAD

Last edited: