Engine conversion but not told insurance or DVLA-What to do?

Associate
Hi

I know of someone that has converted a standard Vauxhall Corsa engine from a 1.4 to a 2.0 C20XE engine.
He hasnt told his insurance or the DVLA about the changes made to his car either. He has also managed to get a dody MOT garage to 'overlook' things on the MOT and has used a different car for the emissions part of the MOT (the corsa has a full exhaust system with a de-cat so wouldnt pass the MOT).

The bloke that owns the Corsa is basically a **** and i find it out of order when i and a lot of young drivers pay a lot of money to insure our cars when this bloke just shoves a 2.0 engine in his Corsa, doesnt tell the insurance or DVLA about the changes and to top it off has insured the car in his dads name and pays a measly £400 for a whole years insurance.

This just makes me sick.

What can/shall i do ?

Don
If you know his address and Reg number, give the DVLA a call... I'm sure they won't need to know your identity. Alternatively, go bash the hell out of his car and when he tries to claim on his insurance he'll be fubar'd

Soldato
xcessive said:
Hi

I know of someone that has converted a standard Vauxhall Corsa engine from a 1.4 to a 2.0 C20XE engine.
He hasnt told his insurance or the DVLA about the changes made to his car either. He has also managed to get a dody MOT garage to 'overlook' things on the MOT and has used a different car for the emissions part of the MOT (the corsa has a full exhaust system with a de-cat so wouldnt pass the MOT).

The bloke that owns the Corsa is basically a **** and i find it out of order when i and a lot of young drivers pay a lot of money to insure our cars when this bloke just shoves a 2.0 engine in his Corsa, doesnt tell the insurance or DVLA about the changes and to top it off has insured the car in his dads name and pays a measly £400 for a whole years insurance.

This just makes me sick.

What can/shall i do ?

so basically he wont be covered, not very smart is he

Associate
OP
Matt82 said:
get some engine bay pics with a loaf of bread to proove it?

i can easily get pics of the car.

but this guy is a sort of mate. ive told him again and again that his insurance is worthless but he doesnt care.
if i do grass him up he will instantly know it's me as well. that's why im hoping someone else who has beef with him grasses him up.

Soldato
youre not totally correct there.

i bet he has TPFT insurance anyway. so in any event, if/when he bins his car, they wont pay out anyway

but, by the fact that he has an insurance policy, his insurer is bound by art25 of the european rights against insurer act to honour any third party claim............... so if he runs anyone over or crashes into anyone and its his fault, his insurer is bound to pay

and they will then pursue him for the money back

Man of Honour
xcessive said:
What can/shall i do ?
Nothing.

I know a bloke who's very dodgy but his brother is a copper and he never seems to get caught for anything.

I know a bloke who built an extension on his house without permission.

There will always be someone somewhere who does not want to play py the rules, or gets away with more than they should. That's life.

Man of Honour
Lopez, just because other people do it is no justification. Some people would even say it's your civil duty to report him. You can get in touch with the DVLA and police, they may or may not take action, but atleast you've tried. I'd also report the MOT testing station to VOSA.

Burnsy

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Dont do anything, so he is a **** and is getting away with something dodgy. Its not your place to grass him up.

Soldato
Serj said:
Suck it in and just realise that some people in life are complete ***** and get away with murder :(

Unfortunately, his deceptions won't be discovered until he does have an accident.

xcessive - if he does have an accident, do you want to be asking yourself, 'what if?'

Man of Honour
Jez said:
Dont do anything, so he is a **** and is getting away with something dodgy. Its not your place to grass him up.

What?! I can't believe some of you lot. He's possibly commiting insurance fraud, it's not properly registered nor properly MOT'd.

You lot make me dispair.

Maybe this is why the country is in the state that it is. :mad:

Burnsy

Soldato
Lopéz said:
Nothing.

I know a bloke who's very dodgy but his brother is a copper and he never seems to get caught for anything.

I know a bloke who built an extension on his house without permission.

There will always be someone somewhere who does not want to play py the rules, or gets away with more than they should. That's life.

However, it is possible to complain about extensions built without planning permission and they can make a house rather difficult to sell...

Man of Honour
Okay let's put the boot on the other foot. I'm sure that most people here have, at some time or another illegally downloaded a film, album or piece of software.

Would you be happy, and glad that someone had done their "civil duty", if you were reported and prosecuted?

Or have you ever turned right at a "No Right Turn" at night because there was no traffic, or done 75mph down the motorway, or drunk alcohol before the age of 18, or carried out repairs on a friends PC for cash and not declared the income, or brought back 1000 fags cheap from the Canaries.......

I take it you'd all happily accept any form of prosecution and be glad that someone had reported you for the crimes comitted and made you see the error of your ways?

Or maybe you are all squeaky clean and never so much as returned a library book late, I don't know :)

Man of Honour
Lopéz said:

I'm not a saint, but you're missing the point.

Would you turn a blind eye to someone committing benefit fraud? What about drug dealing? When do you cross the line? Murder?

If I turned down a no right turn and someone took a photo and I got a FP, I wouldn't be happy, but atleast someone did something to stop what is illegal; and that I respect.

Burnsy

Permabanned
Lopéz said:
Okay let's put the boot on the other foot. I'm sure that most people here have, at some time or another illegally downloaded a film, album or piece of software.

Or have you ever turned right at a "No Right Turn" at night because there was no traffic, or done 75mph down the motorway, or drunk alcohol before the age of 18, or carried out repairs on a friends PC for cash and not declared the income, or brought back 1000 fags cheap from the Canaries.......

None of these practices being committed by another person would hurt me as an individual. Being involved in an accident with an uninsured driver has the potential to cause me financial harm.

I would probably report him, it would depend on my relations with the person though.

Back
Top Bottom