1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Environmental change - What can we do?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Avenged7Fold, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Rroff

Man of Honour

Get rid of the politicians - two birds, one stone.

2. StriderX

Capodecina

I wonder how "down to the wire" we'll go before the really bad solutions become palatable, we've survived 60 odd years of mutual destruction because the death of the species is too high a price for petty political goals.

This is the reverse... eventually we'll have no choice left other than "end justifies the means" policies, and we'll be alive to see it happen

3. D.P.

Caporegime

With Africa the timing might work out where they will only have limited expansion of fossil fuel power and rewnewabl;es will be te main source driving their industrial revolution. Solar power is already cheaper tan coal and gas across most of Africa

4. b0rn2sk8

Mobster

Countries without significant incumbent infrastructure will have it easier because there are not competing market forces trying to eek out the maximum live of a fossil fuel power station and a population hooked on convenience like we have in Europe and USA.

5. StriderX

Capodecina

At the express cost of buying Chinese PV panels and systems, with Chinese labour.

6. Jonnybmac

Wise Guy

It's sad but the reality is it will only get worse.

Its all well and good saying get governmrnts involved, but do you think the likes of china would ever do the same even if ours did?
    Look at America with gun laws, what would happen to peoples rights if they were told no more meat and become vegan.
    It's out nature to hunt, less so now to the general community as it is done for us as a job - but a lot still do hunt their own food.

Overpopulation is the problem, and no sustainability for the speed we are reproducing. Caps should be in place to limit this but how would you police it, not to mention human rightd.

Even animals we don't eat are hunted for sport, or like in the article lions poisoned due to farmets cattle in the most watched place in the world in terms of animal preservation.

It's weird. Each april i take a walk with my family to a nearby farm to see lambs born, yet lamb is my favourite meat. If you handed me a knife and told me to kill one to eat it i couldn't and wouldn't - yet served on a plate for me with mash and gravy I'd tuck in till i ate my fill.
    That's the other problem in that we no longer have to hunt for food, which bring an emotional and unsuccessful side of things. But then if we hunted at a young age wr wouldn't have emotions towards it.

7. D.P.

Caporegime

Well, the chinese are busy pilaging Africa so Afriva can exploit cheap chinese labour in return.

8. StriderX

Capodecina

I doubt it's cheap, cheaper than the western equivalent for sure.

9. 4K8KW10

Soldato

Our problem is not that we eat meat, meat can come from our farms where chickens, ducks and turkeys are artifically grown and man-made, so to say.
    The global problem is the pollution and that we destroy the places where wild life stays. If we deforest all the time, everything will disappear at some point.

We must stop burning fossil fuels, stop pushing chemical poisons into the rivers and stop human population increase in numbers.

10. Jonnybmac

Wise Guy

I agree, but how can you stop that? Kill babys born that shouldn't have been?
    China used to have a good system that if you were from a 2 child family you could only have 1 child yourself

11. 4K8KW10

Soldato

No, never kill - just use protection :D
    And China, India and some countries in Africa like Nigeria should get global sanctions because of the problem - the Western world countries don't grow with natural birth rate.

12. Jonnybmac

Wise Guy

We still grow exponentially with the highest availability for contraception though

13. 4K8KW10

Soldato

Germany doesn't grow, birth rate is low: https://countrymeters.info/en/Germany

[​IMG]

14. satchef1

Mobster

The Chinese system is widely regarded as a failure. The birth rate was falling already when the one child policy came in to effect. While it was in place, China's population still grew faster than the populations of neighbouring South Korea, Thailand, and Vietnam.

To call the one child policy a good thing is simply untrue. It lead to infanticide, abandonment, forced and voluntary late-term abortions, gender selection (leading to the current gender imbalance) and forced sterilisation.

Almost universally, where economic prospects grow, where education is widespread, where women are treated as equal citizens, and where there is strong availability of healthcare, you see low birth rates and low population growth.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  15. sigma

Perma Banned

16. 413x

Capodecina

Birth rates are falling in West because we are getting a lot squeezed for cash and kids are expensive.
    People also have more fulfilled lives and are less willing to spend all those years bringing up a child
    Women have more opportunities to have a career and less stigma attached to it.
    Some even for environmental/bad futures reasons

Its a natural effect of development I suppose.

Eating less meat would be a better push than pushing the vegan agenda (people dont like to be told). I support meat taxes. Meat alternatives are too expensive so either need subsidies or tax the other side.it would help

Biodiversity and loss of habitat, not putting money into environmental initiatives vs tax breaks, ocean plastic reliance on fossil fuels etc etc. All recipes for disaster.

Problem with climate change is its gradual. If a was on its way you could bet the world would rally to stop it. But climate change and loss of habitat is slow to show itself in respect to its effect on but even slower to fix. By point we 'realise' and are forced to make drastic changes it will be too late.

We are too far behind the gradual change opportunity. Lets see how bad it gets. We will see. I believe I'll see the start of massive disruption in my lifetime (33yo) and kids will get it full whack

17. 4K8KW10

Soldato

Compared to buying each new most expensive smartphone every year, a baby is extremely cheap - you pay for Pampers, for some food but not much at all, some clothes and toys :D

The problem is that women spend a lot of time at their work places, instead of growing their children. Which is bad for the children.

18. D.P.

Caporegime

This is such misogynistic nonsense

19. 413x

Capodecina

Lol.

20. 4K8KW10

Soldato

Why? Everyone knows that their mother is the first person in their life and then everyone else.

Look, there are scientific articles on the matter, in no way negative against women, as a troll would like to point out:

Baby-Mother Bonds Affect Future Adult Relationships, Study Finds https://www.livescience.com/17573-b...t-future-adult-relationships-study-finds.html