Epic is giving away big games for the next few weeks again

Man of Honour
that's the point of it though to get people using their store.
I get that but presumably this land grab is starting to slow down now, I mean the majority of gamers interested will already have used their store due to the promotion running so long. Sure, there will be newcomers to PC gaming signing up

An article published a while back they'd gained about 18.5 million new users with the giveaways of which 7% bought something. That's not too bad but it does mean the vast majority of people attracted to the store are just costing them money rather than bringing in revenue.

Soldato
I get that but presumably this land grab is starting to slow down now, I mean the majority of gamers interested will already have used their store due to the promotion running so long. Sure, there will be newcomers to PC gaming signing up

An article published a while back they'd gained about 18.5 million new users with the giveaways of which 7% bought something. That's not too bad but it does mean the vast majority of people attracted to the store are just costing them money rather than bringing in revenue.

Realistically speaking any large scale business model isn't going to immediately turn a profit when jumping head first into this market. Epic planned to spend large sums of money to launch the store and some people seem to ignore that. We can't accurately compare it to when Steam launched either as the market was in a very different place then.

If they dropped the exclusivity deals they would have made a profit last year despite all the giveaways. Their projected to turn a profit in the next few years but it's anyone's guess whether that'll happen, given how much they spend buying exclusive rights I'll be surprised if they do tbh.

Soldato
I’m sure there is also some crazy stat that shows a bunch of kids that grew up with fortnite, for them EPIC is their first experience with a store front and they have no allegiance to steam.

Associate

Think about how many are teenagers are banking these games that are not earning money but will be in years to come. The £10 discounts are there to get the same kids having their most expensive games on Epic. This will all pay dividends long term.

Caporegime
True your allegiance to steam is because you have the most games there and used it the longest, so it's like your main collection shelf and the one you want the most prestigious titles on.

all it takes is a generation who are more used to epics launcher before allegiance is somewhere else and breaking the steam monopoly.

I never cared for achievements either it's just another scam to make you feel invested in a platform and make it harder for you to switch

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I didn’t realise until the other day that the £10 discount codes stacked.

Bought three games and got £30 off which isn’t too shabby, especially as they were already reduced too.

Man of Honour
They don't stack properly, you can't use more than 1 against the same game (unless it's changed). But you can e.g. buy a game and get a new voucher and use that on the next game etc. Obviously it's most effective with cheap games on sale at £13.99 or whatever.

Soldato
True your allegiance to steam is because you have the most games there and used it the longest, so it's like your main collection shelf and the one you want the most prestigious titles on.

all it takes is a generation who are more used to epics launcher before allegiance is somewhere else and breaking the steam monopoly.

I never cared for achievements either it's just another scam to make you feel invested in a platform and make it harder for you to switch

A good argument that many people here won't understand.

Soldato
I didn’t realise until the other day that the £10 discount codes stacked.

Bought three games and got £30 off which isn’t too shabby, especially as they were already reduced too.
yeh must have bouight around 30 odd games from EGS recently & around 20 from cdkeys im sorted for the year :)

HRL

HRL

Soldato
They don't stack properly, you can't use more than 1 against the same game (unless it's changed). But you can e.g. buy a game and get a new voucher and use that on the next game etc. Obviously it's most effective with cheap games on sale at £13.99 or whatever.

It must have changed then as I put three games in the basket and it applied 3 x £10 off automatically.

Guardians of the Galaxy, Kena Bridge of Spirits and Immortals Fenyx for £45.

Caporegime
It must have changed then as I put three games in the basket and it applied 3 x £10 off automatically.

Guardians of the Galaxy, Kena Bridge of Spirits and Immortals Fenyx for £45.

Hey there. Does Fenyx work just by running it from the Ubisoft launcher? It doesn’t call the Epic launcher as well to run it?

Soldato
I've bagged all the tomb raiders to my old epic account now. Cool. I always used to see reviews on youtube where they used one of the Tomb Raiders as the go to test for monitors/screens with HDR. I think Linus used it a lot. Perhaps shadow of the tomb raider I think.
Are there any other games I should claim before the deadline? I got valorant, trackmania and some other ones I found on the free area but not sure if they have always been free to claim. Happy with the tomb raider ones though.
What's the best way to play on PC...a controller or keyboard and mouse? I'm new to them. Got PS4 controllers in the house.

Soldato
I've bagged all the tomb raiders to my old epic account now. Cool. I always used to see reviews on youtube where they used one of the Tomb Raiders as the go to test for monitors/screens with HDR. I think Linus used it a lot. Perhaps shadow of the tomb raider I think.
Are there any other games I should claim before the deadline? I got valorant, trackmania and some other ones I found on the free area but not sure if they have always been free to claim. Happy with the tomb raider ones though.
What's the best way to play on PC...a controller or keyboard and mouse? I'm new to them. Got PS4 controllers in the house.

I think they are essentially console ports so pad should be fine, or KB/M if you prefer.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Got myself a lurid green series X XBox controller, don’t play anything with K&M.

Series X ones work over Bluetooth too.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Hey there. Does Fenyx work just by running it from the Ubisoft launcher? It doesn’t call the Epic launcher as well to run it?

Will check tonight for you. I ran it via the Epic launcher to make sure it worked but I’ve been playing GOTG the last few evenings.

Quite funny dialogue and enjoying it a lot.

Caporegime
Will check tonight for you. I ran it via the Epic launcher to make sure it worked but I’ve been playing GOTG the last few evenings.

Quite funny dialogue and enjoying it a lot.

Only if it's not too much trouble - you might have to download the whole game again in Ubisoft Connect to test it.

Soldato

Three games, three vouchers... isn't that what HangTime said? One voucher per game? (Sorry, literally joining in the middle of a conversation :) Only dropped in to see if there was something good for free :p)

Back
Top Bottom