Epic vs steam - have your thoughts changed?

Associate
mmm Epic gave me three Tomb raider games yesterday

steam gave me bugger all

plus epic have RDR2 for abotu £17 once you add the voucher might grab it over the weekend love the look but it might end up a bitpart game

Soldato
There also the fact that there is Steam exclusive games that people seem to be willing to ignore? And it isn't just on Epic, the devs and publishers of said game also are doing the same since its an agreement.

They have ability to say no we want to support all store fronts. They aren't? Yet it just Epic getting blamed and people willing to forgive developers/publishers to buy on steam still a year later?

Exclusives are fine, it's the way Epic swooped in and bought games out from under the feet of customers who preordered those games on different platforms and hung them out to dry. and it wasnt just samll indie games either; one of them was Metro Exodus. Two weeks before launch on steam, Epic bought their paid exclusivity. Competition is good but that isnt competition. They also did similar with borderlands 3 a few months beofre launch and that's not ok. People think Epic are treated unfairly and we all love steam unconditionally but a) It's not about steam and b) i was just as ****** off when Ea decided not to release Mass effect 3 on steam, shutting down competition and forcing high prices . I dont support that so i didnt buy the game on Origin. Simple. It took EA nearly a decade to sort that nonsense.

I just choose not to support practices that exist solely to wring more money out of us consumers, that's all. I'm totally not fussed how other people deal with it.

Not to add Just Eat is the worst. I have been trying ti get a refund for a month on food that didn't turn up and then this Monday finally got an answer and they gave credit on their app and don't refund service charge or delivery charge when those things never happened to charge for! Mental and they got no communication ability.

Don't, Just eat are the pits. This was years ago now but:

james.miller said:
It was a few years ago now, but i was once kept waiting for 2 hours (that's 2 hours after it was due to be delivered....) for an order. In the end, i told the restaurant to shove it and demanded my money back, which i eventually got. I left the restaurant a scathing review and the restaurant had the review removed. I spoke to Just Eat about it and they said - word for word - "the whole point of the review system is that its about the food, not the service". So because i never received the food, and i told the restaurant to shove it up their backsides, Just Eat didn't allow the review to stay up. Unbelievable really. The thing is, the Just Eat monkey i spoke to told me that whilst in your review you had to score it on 1) the quality. 2) the service and 3) the delivery time. But yet it "wasn't about the service" :rolleyes:

Soldato
I don't understand this point of view. The free games are to get people using there platform. There is nothing wrong with enticing people to use there platform, surely you don't see an offer of 50% off in a shop and go 'neah I'll go next door and pay the full price so the retailer gets more money as this offers just to get me in the shop'

If they have no exclusive games then why would you go there? If every game was on every platform then you'd stick to where you are stating that you already have Steam or whatever so why would you move away from it. Steam has exclusives as well so let's not forget that.

The free games leads to some people becoming choosing beggars, I've seen people tweeting Epic to say they aren't getting a good enough free game, as ridiculous as this sounds. The behaviour of giving away free stuff to entice people for years on end will just mean very few people actually buy things.

Epic can't keep doing it for eternity, they are using this as a long term loss-leader to try and get a big enough user base to actually be able to make money. The problem is they'll have a platform full of non-paying customers.

They can do all the exclusives they want if they actually fund them from the ground up, but the behaviour and evidence I have seen has mostly seen them doing the opposite, sniping releases just before they come out (occasionally shortly before a scheduled Steam release), or worse, removing games from Steam (Rocket League).

I've even seen some games using Steam for advertising and forums, despite having no intention of launching on Steam, because Epic lacked (or perhaps still lacks) basic features like forums. It's one thing to go exclusive, it's another to abuse the resources of other platforms they are in direct competition of.

There also the fact that there is Steam exclusive games that people seem to be willing to ignore? And it isn't just on Epic, the devs and publishers of said game also are doing the same since its an agreement.

I've heard people say this but I've yet to see any real sources for this, other than their own 1st party games like HL: Alyx, what other titles have they formed exclusivity deals on?

Soldato
Gamepass is certainly the best value for money, especially if you have an Xbox as well and the Ultimate pass.

It's also a somewhat sustainable model, unlike free games! the revenue can be used to cover costs and pay studios for the games as well.

Soldato
Exclusives are fine, it's the way Epic swooped in and bought games out from under the feet of customers who preordered those games on different platforms and hung them out to dry. and it wasnt just samll indie games either; one of them was Metro Exodus. Two weeks before launch on steam, Epic bought their paid exclusivity. Competition is good but that isnt competition. They also did similar with borderlands 3 a few months beofre launch and that's not ok. People think Epic are treated unfairly and we all love steam unconditionally but a) It's not about steam and b) i was just as ****** off when Ea decided not to release Mass effect 3 on steam, shutting down competition and forcing high prices . I dont support that so i didnt buy the game on Origin. Simple. It took EA nearly a decade to sort that nonsense.

I just choose not to support practices that exist solely to wring more money out of us consumers, that's all. I'm totally not fussed how other people deal with it.

Don't, Just eat are the pits. This was years ago now but:

Reason use Just Eat allot is because we have a high risk person in house though and then we didn't want to risk and we don't have Uber or Deliveroo or anything else so if a place didn't have own order system we had to use Just Eat.

Anyways on topic lol. Yeah the exclusives like that suck but so do the Devs for doing that and people were like screw Epic I will buy in a year on Steam instead but those Devs chose to screw over the player base to the same extent that Epic did. That is one game I have not brought Metro even though I have multiple copies of first two, cause I didn't think either party deserved my money for that stunt in honesty.

Associate
Gamepass is certainly the best value for money, especially if you have an Xbox as well and the Ultimate pass.

It's also a somewhat sustainable model, unlike free games! the revenue can be used to cover costs and pay studios for the games as well.

Its defo the best until they work out people are exploiting the game time ! LOL I've paid like £1 for 3 months , cancelled , waiting a few weeks and then done the same again... seems they don't have an issue with this as ive done this for 2 years now.

Soldato
Its defo the best until they work out people are exploiting the game time ! LOL I've paid like £1 for 3 months , cancelled , waiting a few weeks and then done the same again... seems they don't have an issue with this as ive done this for 2 years now.

Probably counter-acted by all the people who pay and then don't use it much :)

Nice thing about this kind of model is they know exactly how much cash on average it brings in, they only need to make it work for the average punter.

Back
Top Bottom