Epson says ink pad saturation behind 'end of service life' warning on inkjet printers

Soldato
I'm fairly actively involved in the Right To Repair movement... Inkjet printers are the single most evil and naughty example of planned obsolescence. Anything from page counters, to "ink pad saturation" to smart cartridges etc.

I literally will not own an inkjet, not even second hand for free. They dry up and cause issues anyway but the above behaviour is criminal.

The page counter one is bonkers - printer just goes dark forever after a certain number of pages, regardless of condition. And the manufacturers' excuse is "To maintain quality of service and prevent problems during use". Erm?

Soldato
In the past I've downloaded a bit of software that talks to your printer and resets it.
Yep, there's often a solution eventually. Reprogramming cartridges when you refill, resetting printer memory etc. In one laser printer we've got there is a pair of resistors in the heat roller unit. When it's new, the printer senses a different resistance, raises the voltage and burns out the weaker resistor. Then it reads the new value and starts counting to 20,000...

You can just twist a new resistor over the old one to reset the counter :)

Man of Honour
You really shouldn't expect anything less from printer manufacturers. As far as they are concerned the printer is a throwaway item and they make most of their money from massively overpriced ink which is why I always use compatible inks. There is a easy fix for this but you really should replace the sponges as well as reset the counter. I had this pop up on my Epson XP-520 earlier in the year and a quick search ended up with me buying replacement sponges and a reset code from these guys. It cost me £14.95 for the kit which is much cheaper than a new printer. The old pads were completely saturated with waste ink. There are plenty of guides on how to take apart your printer to change the pads on Youtube and I think the whole process took me around 10 minutes. Epson's reset tool didn't work for me so it was either buy a new printer of buy the kit and keep using my perfectly working printer.

Caporegime
the biggest scam is when you print black, but the printer needs the colour cartridges because apparently there black ain't black

seems like they want to use as much ink as possible on purpose

Soldato
OP
You really shouldn't expect anything less from printer manufacturers.

After all the fanfare about changing the future of home printing with the Epson Eco tank that would be kinder to the customer and the environment i expected better of them.

the biggest scam is when you print black, but the printer needs the colour cartridges because apparently there black ain't black

seems like they want to use as much ink as possible on purpose

Yeah!, When i owned a ink jet i only ever printed text yet the colour carts still ended up empty and i've heard others say the same.

Soldato
One of the reasons I'm on the hunt for a new printer, is because my Canon Pixma IP7250 is throwing a B200 error when I try a new cartridge in it. Whatever I find online, either does nothing or seems to lead into an infinite warren of what seems to be a solution, but isn't. :(

Back
Top Bottom