Epson sx515w printer: cyan ink not reconized

Soldato
Ive been using the compatable inks for this printer for 6-7months now. Ive had this prob with it once before when installing a new ink and it was fixed by taking it out and installing it again, but not this time. Ive tried taking all carts out, unplugging it for a few mins and then reinstalling, but the cyan cart still dont want to know

So Ive ordered another compatable ink just incase its a dodgey chip on the cart. Im guessing its down to the printer if the cyan still dont want to know when I get the new cart.

The printer is still under guarantee, so should the place where I bought it from accept a replacement even tho Im using compat inks?

I dont know if this is true, but the place where I get my inks from says..... "By using compatible or remanufactured cartridges you are cutting into their primary source of profit. Because of this, they will threaten to void your warranty if you use compatible or remanufactured cartridges. They are simply trying to protect their own interests anyway they can. It is however strictly ILLEGAL for them to do so, they CANNOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY simply for using compatible or remanufactured cartridges.

Associate
Compatible inks will void your warranty, if you book it in for repair epson will probably just bung some genuine inks in and clean the heads, this is usually all thats needed to fix a problem like this.

Soldato
OP
Its todo with the cyan's chip reader on printer or the chip on the ink cart is buggered cos it prints perfectly. Its so annoying that if 1 of the inks are empty or faulty, the printer refuses to work

Been using the compat inks for 6-8 month and havent had any clogging up at all, also whats more impressive is I havent been printing that often and once a month or so I do a head printout check and everytime the printout is fine

On a few sites, it says manufacture cant void your warranty just cos your using compat inks. Similarly, it would be illegal for Radio Shack to mandate that you only use their batteries in their products. You are the consumer, and you have a choice.

Consumer law states that a manufacturer's warranty cannot be voided due to using aftermarket consumables (ink cartridges or toner). It is the responsibility of the printer manufacturer to prove that an the compatible printer cartridge or toner caused the damage before refusing warranty repair.

Soldato
OP
Hopefully the ink will come tomorrow and it wont be the printer thats buggered, cross fingers and toes

But to be honest Im slightly disappointed with this printer, because I had a epson dx4800 before the sx515 and the quality from photo printouts are much better with the dx4800. Also been using compat inks in the dx4800 from a few weeks afer buying the printer, and that lasted a good 4yrs before photo printouts started to degrade. Then I must have bought a bad bunch of ink cos they cloged the heads up, but I wasnt to gutted cos it was about at the end of its life anyway, So now I make sure I buy good qual compat inks... But god the epson dx4800 was a dam good printer, thats why Im a tad gutted with the SX515, cos its ment to be better then the dx4800, but the dx4800 printer would beat the sx515 in most areas, even the scanner seems better on the dx4800 can you believe and it worked like a workhorse, must have printed a good few hundred photos and a fair few hundred pages of knitting patterns, plus the photo copier got a fair bit of hammering aswell in the 4yrs of having it..

This sx515 printer hasn't really been used anywhere to the extent of the dx4800 and it might be already failing:mad:. Also never ever had any probs with the dx4800 not detecting ink carts.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I recieved the cyan ink cart this morming, and its fine, so it was the chip on the ink that was buggered....... Shame thought Id be getting a new printer, ah well.

Back
Top Bottom